The In-Psychlopaedia: Cope discography

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
darrell
49 posts

Edited Mar 09, 2020, 09:10
The In-Psychlopaedia: Cope discography
Mar 09, 2020, 08:46
The Cope discography I've been working on for some time is now looking in decent shape - some of you may have already had a look after I put a link at the recent 'Spaceship/FOAD' thread.

For a few years now I've had a Copeography as an excel document on my home PC, set up purely for personal use - mainly so I could attempt to keep track of the vast output, the pseudonyms, the side projects etc, and figure out what I had in my collection and what I still craved. tippy wooder asked if I could share the info, and so over the past few days I've converted it all into a basic but hopefully informative and handy website.

Corrections and additions are very, very welcome, as I want to try try try and get this as accurate and complete as possible, as I continue to work on it. There are other Cope discographies out there - the Steve Hoffman forums have been a huge help in my researches, there are a few other sites dotted around the web, and of course there's a discog at HH itself. But I'm planning to keep this one updated and make it a sort of go-to spot for any fellow obsessives.

Here's the link - take a look, and please do feel free to suggest additions or tell me if I've made any glaring mistakes. There's a Teardrop Explodes section, a solo section, a side-projects section, and a miscellaneous section (with material on guest appearances, Julian's sleevenotes for other artists, his online and CD-released compilations of other artists, label listings for HH/Lord Yatesbury/Brain Donor/Fuck Off & Di etc, and the One Three One doorway)

https://darrellpbuxton.wixsite.com/mysite-1
Immortal
3 posts

Re: The In-Psychlopaedia: Cope discography
Mar 09, 2020, 12:37
This is awesome. Thank you for sharing. Pleanty of new found gaps in my collection!
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Mar 09, 2020, 18:34
Awesome!

I would add the K.A.K. label for the original Zero Beats Per Minute by Anal.

Also, discogs has HH104 as an alternative catalogue number for Dope On Drugs. I've not got my copy to hand, so I can't confirms.
darrell
49 posts

Mar 09, 2020, 19:19
Vybik Jon wrote:
Awesome!

I would add the K.A.K. label for the original Zero Beats Per Minute by Anal.

Also, discogs has HH104 as an alternative catalogue number for Dope On Drugs. I've not got my copy to hand, so I can't confirms.

Ah, thanks for the minutiae, VJ! I wondered about including K.A.K. but didn't have a lot of info about whether anything had been released under that banner. As for 'Dope on Drugs', all my records are in storage pending a house move but I'll check my copy asap.

To get an "awesome!" from you is a seal of approval and a sign that I've done this right.
phallus dei
583 posts

Mar 09, 2020, 23:56
Impressive list! Perhaps you could also note the following:

Brain Donor - Love Peace & Fuck 2LP had a different track order and a much longer version of "Hairy Music"; maybe some other differences, too

Cassette version of Peggy Suicide (my first Cope purchase!) had slightly longer edits of "Safesurfer" (8'38 instead of 8'06) and "Drive, She Said" (5'07 instead of 4'34). Not sure if these longer lengths were also true for the LP, but the CD had the shorter edits, plus cut out "Uptight"
phallus dei
583 posts

Mar 10, 2020, 00:12
Oh, also Cope plays the cymbal on "Urthona plays Atlantis?" - don't know if this should be in the side projects or miscellaneous section

I've also been very suspicious of the copious "Robert Courtney" product on Bandcamp. To me, it sounds like Cope singing with an accent, similar to the other characters he created in his 131 stage, and the publicity notes read in the same style as the publicist for Head Heritage. I would list Robert Courtney in the "unconfirmed sightings" section.
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Mar 10, 2020, 03:40
Nice work dude.

Here's some more compilations that Cope may have created, or at least facilitated the production of.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Nihon-Nihilist-Heres-Some-Extreme-Japanoise-1970-1987/release/2995504

https://www.discogs.com/Various-International-Times-1967-74/release/2168944

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Guitar-Explosion-The-Electric-Underground-Vol-2-/release/5524511

https://www.discogs.com/High-Rise-Psy-Free-Sonic/release/2309288
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Edited Mar 10, 2020, 04:31
Mar 10, 2020, 04:16
phallus dei wrote:
I've also been very suspicious of the copious "Robert Courtney" product on Bandcamp. To me, it sounds like Cope singing with an accent, similar to the other characters he created in his 131 stage, and the publicity notes read in the same style as the publicist for Head Heritage. I would list Robert Courtney in the "unconfirmed sightings" section.

No way. I bought that original Rock Section 7" after 131 came out, and it certainly smelled like 1981. The simplest explanation is that he sampled the song. Why would he bother going to all that effort to create a whole other body of work anonymously?

Also I'm pretty sure the Roger/Cope connection was debunked shortly after it was brought up. And "fake funk" it is not, tis the real mo-funking deal. Nor was he in the Panzies. What you should be looking into is that Cliff Cheerio guy.
darrell
49 posts

Edited Mar 10, 2020, 06:03
Mar 10, 2020, 06:00
Pleased to see that a few of you are digging the discog - and it's already producing the type of info-nuggets from the true heads that I was hoping for.

Haven't really had much chance yet to reference alternate versions of individual tracks (I love that longer 'Hairy Music' on the BD LP) but that's gonna be an area I will expand in time.

My excel document was really disorganised, so setting up the web listing gave me the chance to get it into shape. Designing it was a blast - figuring out the individual pages and categories ('Teardrops', essential; 'solo', likewise; but then what??) I hope that the final decision to go with a 'side-projects' rock section and the 'Jehovahkill Blue'-hued catch-all thang is working for site visitors. Seems to be - the 'Unconfirmed Sightings' and 'labels' sub-headings are already grabbing attention, it seems.

Citizensmurf, you're right on as far as 'Roger' are concerned. After doing what passes these days for 'shaking my ass' to 'Champagne and Horns' yesterday afternoon, I concur that Randy and co(pe?) are indeed the real mothershipfunkin' deal. I'll amend that rather crass and hasty and completely misguided 'fake funk' assessment next update.

On the question of 'unconfirmed sightings', I'm relieved to hear that it isn't just me who has started to hear Cope's voice and playing style every time I play a Kraut obscurity or something Japanese!! And I'm yet to delve into the whole 'Merlin Zol' debate...

I've added a personal 'wants' list on the final 'Contact' page too - a dozen or so items still missing from my Julian collection. Some of these are easy to find but I just haven't got round to buying yet - one or two seem a little more scarce, or over-priced if located. But if anyone has a spare 'Concert Climax' or 'Juan Fluorescent', give us a shout, eh?

So pleased that 'The In-Psychlopaedia' is proving a hit with the people who matter. Please help me to make it an accurate and informative source. Amazing contributions so far. Thanks.
common era
865 posts

Edited Mar 10, 2020, 10:33
Mar 10, 2020, 10:25
Hi Darrell. Great job! Long before my memory serves me correctly I used to have a Cope website Trampolene.

Still have all the content archived from that, so can easily reference anything from that if you need it. It's all "old" html files, so I could easily save it as a zip and send it over to you for reference if needed. All you would need to do is open it up and then open the index.html file in your browser to access all the info. Let me know!

After looking at your site quickly, the one thing that jumped out is that the Julian Weirds Out live bootleg album isn't a recording from Sydney (Saint Julian didn't tour down under at that time). It is actually taken from a very good quality recording of the 15th August 1996 gig at The Boston Arms, London. It's a crackin' gig too! Wonder how much my vinyl copy of that is worth!

Cheers!

CE
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index