1111 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 25 January 2020 CE
Jan 31, 2020, 20:05
Fatalist wrote:
garerama wrote:
Fatalist wrote:
garerama wrote:

Peter Hammill - The Margin

Must give this a listen again. Is it as gnarly as I remember?

I hadn't heard it for ages. I bought it when it first came out in 1985 and wasn't taken to it much. I was trying to cram so much Hammill and VDGG into my eardrums at that time and I was favouring his 70s output. But I found the same vinyl release cheap secondhand last week and it is actually not too bad, great version of Flight at least. I know there is an extended cd version (and vinyl release out there) but the 80m+ is enough for one sitting in my ears.

Don't go to many gigs lately but besides Copey in a few weeks going to see VDGG in May ... so there ill no doubt be lots more Hammill etc over the next couple of months ...

Ha, yes, around the terminus point of my first flap with Hammill. A friend had it, a good version of 'Porton Down' too I think?

I guess I've got to see VDGG again, perhaps one last time...

It was a reference point album for me. As at the time I had not heard any of the late 70s -80s albums bar "Black Box". It has been strange hearing some of the albums since then and hearing stuff such as 'Porton Down' and comparing to my recollection of "The Margin" album ...

I did see VDGG in Glasgow at the first reform tour (2005) and it was one of these "Pinch me I'm not dreaming" moments - never thought I'd see them. Prior to that I did catch a Hammill solo gig in his difficult mid-80s period. I did miss the later VDGG tours (and of course hearing 'Plague ... ' live - sigh!) ... And now 15 years have passed - I really think this will be the last time. I can't see them touring again somehow. There is a health warming that they will not be performing long songs this time round - so bang goes that 'Plague ...' opportunity - but if they at least play 'After The Flood' I will be a happy chappy ...

Unsung Forum Index