138 posts

Re: SELF CIVIL WAR?
Jan 12, 2020, 13:38
He’s said that they’re solo shows.
Anchor
31 posts

Jan 12, 2020, 14:27
Mine turned up yesterday. Super fast delivery!

Having a listen now - I am a fan.

Tour is solo according to the mac and rad IV - I envisage him being busy behind a huge bank of melotrons.
The Hidden Corner
The Hidden Corner
149 posts

Jan 12, 2020, 22:21
My copy also arrived super quick on Saturday, the day after release. Just giving it its second spin. It’s pretty long at over 70 mins - JC hasn’t used the approach he’s often previously taken of splitting it over two discs. As a listening experience it’s...ok. The usual rather flat dynamics we’ve become used to in Julian’s releases since the 1990s. The normal references to drugs, Odin, Marlborough Downs etc. Some nice instrumental touches here and there and the odd track that may become an ear worm - but more than its fair share of rather plodding stuff. In terms of his song albums released over the last 20 years I agree that it’s reminiscent of “Rome wasn’t Burned...” and “An Evening with the Cope”. Better than ‘Revolutionary Suicide’ and ‘Drunken Songs’ but nothing on it that’s as thrilling as the high points on ‘Black Sheep’ and ‘Psychedelic Revolution’ (and those albums certainly weren’t flawless). I would like to see him record some kick-arse songs with a decent producer, sound engineer and get it properly mastered - along the lines of Jehovah Kill - which I’m sure he could do (but doesn’t want to).
bluntlaser
64 posts

Jan 13, 2020, 08:15
I agree completely with The Hidden Corner, i'd add that a decent drummer would really help too.
I know he's not really into properly mixing stuff, preferring monitor mixes but i think more attention to the overall sonic detail would really help.
Love some of these songs but the execution really lets them down.
The drum sound (some programmed, some real) is particularly limp.

I'm always happy to own a new Cope album though
littlealex
2 posts

Download version problem?
Jan 13, 2020, 11:00
I got the download and each track has its last ten seconds or so repeated once it finishes. Is it just me?
Holy McGrail
Holy McGrail
1257 posts

Re: Download version problem?
Jan 13, 2020, 11:30
Please try downloading again! This was spotted and remedied pretty quickly on release day.
Thanks!
littlealex
2 posts

Jan 13, 2020, 11:44
Thankyou - redownloaded and it's fixed. I was obviously too keen on Friday :)
drudeawakening
138 posts

Jan 13, 2020, 12:03
You nabbed a rare promo version! If only there were a way of sticking it on eBay for many hundreds of pounds, like some Cope 'fans'!
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Jan 13, 2020, 18:46
Boxnudger wrote:
My god there's some good stuff on this. Enjoying it immensely.

Superb, I reckon. Best since Black Sheep (and the best 'hard rock sounds' since Dark Orgasm though more integrated into the psychedelic stew of styles rather than being the dominant).
Also, the first Cope album I bought on day of release since Interpreter, which is cool.
hellboy69
9 posts

Jan 18, 2020, 21:34
Loving the album! Wondering if some tracks were late additions as the lyrics aren’t included in the cd booklet? What mystery! What larks! :-)
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index