Zariadris
286 posts

Edited Nov 19, 2019, 17:17
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 16 November 2019 CE
Nov 19, 2019, 15:00
garerama wrote:
spencer wrote:
Seconded

Thirded! I must re-visit Big Country - much neglected and lost in the eighties when I was discovering lots of music. thanks.

Cool! If by chance you like it, you might want to check out the follow-up, The Seer. While not a statement like Steeltown, it's a strong album, with a brighter, sparer sound and vision and some standout cuts in the title track and the excellent single, The Teacher, with its badass Hank Marvin vibe. Unfortunately I can’t recommend anything of theirs that I’ve heard beyond that. They somehow lost their Glaswegian mojo to the point that Stuart Adamson took the band’s name a bit too literally and moved to Nashville. Ultimately, he ended his own life in a hotel room in Hawaii after falling off the wagon (he’d been sober for a decade).

I was a huge fan as a kid and loved them dearly; that heavy guitar sound and electro-celtic sturm und drang was a respite from the more effete U2 and the perfect gateway for this young headbanger from metal to other realms of popular music (laugh if you will, but Big Country’s b-side cover version of Tracks of My Tears turned me on to Soul!) When I finally saw them live at the onset of their popular decline they were still fantastic, and when I nervously approached Adamson after the sparsely attended gig he was so gracious and down to earth. His death was a shocking loss to all those hardcore fans one still bumps into over the years. I’m sure he had a comeback in him. As it turns out, a few classic albums (and some great b-sides) were all it took to ensure his immortality.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index