Unsung Forum »
Cope/related discography thread

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
drudeawakening
138 posts

Cope/related discography thread
Apr 09, 2019, 14:40
This may very well reduce some to tears of boredom but as a relatively newly-obsessed, 100% completist collector of Cope related vinyl and CD (tough gig, right?) I have a number of info itches that a prescription for Discogs just can’t scratch. Others may feel the same, potentially so I would propose a catch-all thread for questions and answers relating to such matters. If I create one thread to rule them all, it keeps the amount of fresh topics down to a manageable level.

Starter for ten, peeps: the booklet included with vinyl copies of Johovahkill - is it the same as the one with the CD release? If I were to replace a missing one by purchasing a less-expensive, on-CD copy, have I then got the authentic booklet experience? Thanks.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Re: Cope/related discography thread
Apr 09, 2019, 14:43
you just need to read this...it'll tell you everything you need to know abut Cope and related releases. Good luck with yer 'itch', you're probably onto a loser there unless someone is parting with there collection.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/julian-cope-album-by-album-by-single-by-ep-by-pseudonym-thread.673888/
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Apr 09, 2019, 15:08
drudeawakening wrote:
Starter for ten, peeps: the booklet included with vinyl copies of Johovahkill - is it the same as the one with the CD release? If I were to replace a missing one by purchasing a less-expensive, on-CD copy, have I then got the authentic booklet experience? Thanks.

Hi, as far as I remember, the booklet in the vinyl version was the exact same booklet from the CD (which was not only slightly disappointing given how great it would have looked at 12" size, but also made it easy to lose).
So, yes, if you replace with one from another CD copy that will complete the package.
darrell
49 posts

Apr 09, 2019, 17:15
Nice idea for a thread - Julian's discography is a minefield.

I began attempting to piece together a 'complete' discography document for my own private reference a couple of years ago, largely in a bid to determine what records I had and hadn't got. It's still a work-in-progress but has helped me to fill a few gaps and make 'sense' of it all (still seeking the Spaceship album that Cope played on, amongst one or two other items, but have just about completed my collection in recent years - unless comments here happen to reveal new info, of course!). Dunno whether I'll be able to assist with enquiries but I'll keep an interested eye on the discussions. For instance, I'm sure there must be pseudonymous releases out there that haven't been identified yet!
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Apr 09, 2019, 18:50
darrell wrote:
Nice idea for a thread - Julian's discography is a minefield.

I began attempting to piece together a 'complete' discography document for my own private reference a couple of years ago, largely in a bid to determine what records I had and hadn't got. It's still a work-in-progress but has helped me to fill a few gaps and make 'sense' of it all (still seeking the Spaceship album that Cope played on, amongst one or two other items, but have just about completed my collection in recent years - unless comments here happen to reveal new info, of course!). Dunno whether I'll be able to assist with enquiries but I'll keep an interested eye on the discussions. For instance, I'm sure there must be pseudonymous releases out there that haven't been identified yet!

The Lord Yatesbury 131 tour cds are particularly cryptic in their existence. I had a thread trying to make sense of them, but I'm still not sure if some were sold without anyone here knowing.
phallus dei
583 posts

Apr 09, 2019, 22:10
Citizensmurf wrote:

The Lord Yatesbury 131 tour cds are particularly cryptic in their existence. I had a thread trying to make sense of them, but I'm still not sure if some were sold without anyone here knowing.

Just saw from discogs that there was a Lord Yatesbury Dope CD single of Hydroponic / John Balance Enters Valhalla https://www.discogs.com/Dope-HydroponicJohn-Balance-Enters-Valhalla/release/13415720
Don't remember anyone mentioning this release before (though someone mentioned having a dubplate of the John Balance track). I've certainly never heard it!
Arbor
Arbor
35 posts

Apr 09, 2019, 23:03
phallus dei wrote:
Citizensmurf wrote:

Just saw from discogs that there was a Lord Yatesbury Dope CD single of Hydroponic / John Balance Enters Valhalla https://www.discogs.com/Dope-HydroponicJohn-Balance-Enters-Valhalla/release/13415720
Don't remember anyone mentioning this release before (though someone mentioned having a dubplate of the John Balance track). I've certainly never heard it!

Wow! Not seen that LY cd before. I thought the "John Balance Enters Valhalla" release was abandoned,but there it is! Does anyone have a link / mp3 of it?
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Apr 10, 2019, 08:33
phallus dei wrote:
Citizensmurf wrote:

I think these were 2 of the Dope tracks that were set to feature on the (now seemingly aborted) double green vinyl LP through the Castles In Space label.
The Seth Man
1241 posts

Apr 10, 2019, 12:49
drudeawakening wrote:
This may very well reduce some to tears of boredom but as a relatively newly-obsessed, 100% completist collector of Cope related vinyl and CD (tough gig, right?) I have a number of info itches that a prescription for Discogs just can’t scratch. Others may feel the same, potentially so I would propose a catch-all thread for questions and answers relating to such matters. If I create one thread to rule them all, it keeps the amount of fresh topics down to a manageable level.

drudeawakening,

Unfortunately, no.

I bought a UK vinyl copy of "Jehovahkill" back in the mid-90s and it came with a CD-sized inlay booklet.
Funny thing was, it was *very* different from the one that came with the UK CD version For a start, it had four more pages...

CD inlay:
--------------------
fc Blue background with yellow art
bc Serpent Mound colour shot/caption

ifc "Concerning K&K"/"Jesus Christ Is Not The Cross" poem
pg 1 Aerial shot of Callanish/caption

pg 2 "Socrates Mine Enemy" poem
pg 3 Avebury sketch/caption

pg 4 Photo of Julian at Callanish/Blake quote
pg 5 "Ancient Monuments In Anticipation..." poem

pg 6 "MEGALITHOMANIA!" poem
pg 7 Photo of Julian on beach/Philip K. Dick quote

pg 8 "DRUDES," poem/address
pg 9 Credits & recording information

LP inlay
--------------------
fc Colour shot of Serpent Mound with "JEHOVAHKILL" over it
bc Colour shot of Callanish/caption

ifc Serpent Mound caption on black background
pg 1 "Concerning K&K"

pg 2 "Jesus Christ Is Not The Cross" poem
pg 3 Different aerial shot of Callanish (detail)/Lethbridge quote

pg 4 "Socrates Mine Enemy" poem
pg 5 "Avebury sketch/caption

pg 6 Photo of Julian at Callanish/Blake quote
pg 7 "Ancient Monuments In Anticipation..." poem

pg 8 "Hanging Out With Emma Jane..." poem
pg 9 Photo of Julian onstage/Shaw quote

pg 10 "MEGALITHOMANIA!" poem
pg 11 Julian on beach/Philip K. Dick quote

pg 12 "DRUDES," poem/address
pg 13 (credits)
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Apr 10, 2019, 15:09
Don't forget, the US copy of the Jehovahkill CD (don't know about vinyl version, if there was a US one) had a misprint on back cover insert. It read 'That'll be the Decide' instead of 'That'll be the Deicide'.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index