Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Mark1971
Mark1971
252 posts

Re: Cope/related discography thread
Apr 10, 2019, 15:26
The Seth Man wrote:
drudeawakening wrote:
This may very well reduce some to tears of boredom but as a relatively newly-obsessed, 100% completist collector of Cope related vinyl and CD (tough gig, right?) I have a number of info itches that a prescription for Discogs just can’t scratch. Others may feel the same, potentially so I would propose a catch-all thread for questions and answers relating to such matters. If I create one thread to rule them all, it keeps the amount of fresh topics down to a manageable level.

Starter for ten, peeps: the booklet included with vinyl copies of Johovahkill - is it the same as the one with the CD release? If I were to replace a missing one by purchasing a less-expensive, on-CD copy, have I then got the authentic booklet experience? Thanks.

drudeawakening,

Unfortunately, no.

I bought a UK vinyl copy of "Jehovahkill" back in the mid-90s and it came with a CD-sized inlay booklet.
Funny thing was, it was *very* different from the one that came with the UK CD version For a start, it had four more pages...

CD inlay:
--------------------
fc Blue background with yellow art
bc Serpent Mound colour shot/caption

ifc "Concerning K&K"/"Jesus Christ Is Not The Cross" poem
pg 1 Aerial shot of Callanish/caption

pg 2 "Socrates Mine Enemy" poem
pg 3 Avebury sketch/caption

pg 4 Photo of Julian at Callanish/Blake quote
pg 5 "Ancient Monuments In Anticipation..." poem

pg 6 "MEGALITHOMANIA!" poem
pg 7 Photo of Julian on beach/Philip K. Dick quote

pg 8 "DRUDES," poem/address
pg 9 Credits & recording information

LP inlay
--------------------
fc Colour shot of Serpent Mound with "JEHOVAHKILL" over it
bc Colour shot of Callanish/caption

ifc Serpent Mound caption on black background
pg 1 "Concerning K&K"

pg 2 "Jesus Christ Is Not The Cross" poem
pg 3 Different aerial shot of Callanish (detail)/Lethbridge quote

pg 4 "Socrates Mine Enemy" poem
pg 5 "Avebury sketch/caption

pg 6 Photo of Julian at Callanish/Blake quote
pg 7 "Ancient Monuments In Anticipation..." poem

pg 8 "Hanging Out With Emma Jane..." poem
pg 9 Photo of Julian onstage/Shaw quote

pg 10 "MEGALITHOMANIA!" poem
pg 11 Julian on beach/Philip K. Dick quote

pg 12 "DRUDES," poem/address
pg 13 (credits)

Isn't that CD inlay the one that came with the subsequent clear case CD editions? I'm fairly sure that the original blue case CD had the same insert as the LP. I do own both, but the insert is long lost with the LP sadly, though I'm pretty sure they were the same on those original batches of LPs/CDs
drudeawakening
138 posts

Apr 10, 2019, 16:26
The dubplate in question has also been posted to Discogs by someone.

I think some of the LY CDs were pressed privately. Some of the 131 entries on Discogs mention that there were just five copies pressed. Unless these were given out at gigs too in that level of small numbers. I’d love to get my hands on them. The only LY I own is the ‘remastered’ Odin, which is probably quite common.

Am still after Brits Abroad EP but then will consider myself to have what I need re: the LY releases.
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Apr 10, 2019, 17:00
Monganaut wrote:
Don't forget, the US copy of the Jehovahkill CD (don't know about vinyl version, if there was a US one) had a misprint on back cover insert. It read 'That'll be the Decide' instead of 'That'll be the Deicide'.

Because of that, I assumed Cope was singing "decide" in Poet. I could not understand what he meant by that. Deicide makes way more sense.
darrell
49 posts

Apr 10, 2019, 17:25
drudeawakening wrote:

Am still after Brits Abroad EP but then will consider myself to have what I need re: the LY releases.

Are you looking for an original or will a CD-r and copy of the cover suffice? If the latter, I can oblige. Not prepared to sell mine but am happy to dupe for a fellow collector/fan.
drudeawakening
138 posts

Apr 10, 2019, 17:43
Hey Man

That’s really kind but managed to source the mp3s so I’m good for now. Cheer though. Likewise happy to offer files of anything I might have that you don’t
common era
865 posts

Edited Apr 12, 2019, 11:43
Apr 12, 2019, 11:43
Haven't read through the whole thread, so may be repeating info here. Bought both the vinyl and cd versions when they first came out, so just took a look and the booklets in each are NOT the same.

The content of both is roughly the same, but in different order/arrangement, the main thing being the cd booklet has the classic Jehovahkill blue front cover, whereas the vinyl booklet has a colour pic of the Serpent Mound monument on the front cover.

So, my answer to the original question is that a cheap cd copy of the album doesn't give you the same booklet that came with the vinyl version.

Hope that helps.

A
HI DEN
HI DEN
814 posts

Edited Apr 12, 2019, 12:40
Apr 12, 2019, 12:34
Yeah, the first blue case CD version of Jehovahkill had the same booklet as what came with the vinyl, and the clear jewel cased (subsequent..?) cd edition(s) had the somewhat different one...
common era
865 posts

Apr 12, 2019, 12:59
HI DEN wrote:
Yeah, the first blue case CD version of Jehovahkill had the same booklet as what came with the vinyl, and the clear jewel cased (subsequent..?) cd edition(s) had the somewhat different one...

Spot on. The blue case version does have the same booklet as the vinyl. Have that too here. Looks like it can still be found fairly cheaply and would give you the same booklet as the vinyl...

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/6268617?ev=rb
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Apr 15, 2019, 23:34
common era wrote:
Haven't read through the whole thread, so may be repeating info here. Bought both the vinyl and cd versions when they first came out, so just took a look and the booklets in each are NOT the same.

The content of both is roughly the same, but in different order/arrangement, the main thing being the cd booklet has the classic Jehovahkill blue front cover, whereas the vinyl booklet has a colour pic of the Serpent Mound monument on the front cover.

So, my answer to the original question is that a cheap cd copy of the album doesn't give you the same booklet that came with the vinyl version.

Hope that helps.

A

Not so my friend.

My lovely CD of Jehovakill came with a booklet with the snake mound colour front cover and the colour Callanish back. Exactly like this one.

https://www.discogs.com/Julian-Cope-Jehovahkill/release/1400193

So a cheap version of the Jehovakill CD CAN give you exactly the same booklet as came with the vinyl album. There are currently six for sale on discogs starting at £3.45. Just make sure you purchase the correct CD version. The first UK limited Gold discc version I have linked to is the one. Has the four extra pages and the snake mound front cover which came with the vinyl. There were a couple of CD versions released. The one in the link I have helpfully supplied will get you the "correct" booklet for the vinyl.

The devil is in the detail.
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index