Barrowlands - 1995

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
darrell
49 posts

Re: Barrowlands - 1995
Mar 28, 2019, 18:22
Jeez wrote:
Just reach out and touch me! Those leggings don't do his arse any favours do they?

A pal of mine saw the cover and suggested that Julian ought to release this on picture disc vinyl, with the hole in the obvious place...
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Mar 29, 2019, 10:56
Merchandiser wrote:
shows spilled out over three hours...then distilled into 69 sexy minutes

Ok, so who's got the boot of the whole thing? :)
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Mar 29, 2019, 13:14
I have a book of Manchester only
Piquiod
Piquiod
525 posts

Mar 29, 2019, 15:59
Will check my collection & advise this weekend.
garerama
garerama
1117 posts

Edited Mar 29, 2019, 22:05
Mar 29, 2019, 22:03
tippy wooder wrote:
Mine arrived this morning. Really good, though I think it's pretty much in mono - everything is ultra-centralised in the mix.

Mine arrived today - ordered yesterday - very speedy. Listened to it on the cans out and about this evening and have to agree very mono. There are sparse moments of stereo-ness that sound like overdubs (particularly synth at end of "East Easy Rider" (I think) and backing vocals at end of "Passionate Friend") but surely they can't be!

Considering I spent a lot of my late teens into mid-20s at the Barrowlands (sadly not this gig) it does in places have a particular audience ambience very typically Weedgy and Barrowlandish that is very well captured.

3 hour show - wow! Never got that length at any of the Barrowlands gigs I was at. The shortist was The Mary Chain (25 mins, Psychocandy era in 1986) and the longest was probably Marillion (in between Fugazi and Childhood - end of 1984) which was almost 2 hours ... I had to get the boot of the later on a C-120 at the Barrowland market shortly after...

Anyway keep them coming - could do a Psychic TV thing and release a live album a month ...
neighbourofthedrude
neighbourofthedrude
1555 posts

Edited Mar 31, 2019, 11:04
Mar 31, 2019, 11:04
Naughty Mr Necro has got one.
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Edited Apr 01, 2019, 10:36
Apr 01, 2019, 10:35
A great little album - nicely condensed record of a 3 hour gig - you get a bit of everything including the acoustic set (I seem to remember Cope doing an audience participation 'on the one clapping' version of Paranormal on this tour).
Hey, if he released an extended version of the whole set, he could call it Long-Barrowlands (I'm here all week).
Just one thing though (Columbo) - Is it me, or is the version of Reynard actually the Westminster 1987 version? haven't done an a/b with Copulation but the intro "This is in fact Reynard the Fox" is the same.
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

Apr 01, 2019, 19:00
neighbourofthedrude wrote:
Naughty Mr Necro has got one.

I thought so, but it's the year after. Haven't got a recording of any gig from that tour, unusually. There's not listing on setlist.fm so I'm guessing there isn't a well traded copy out there
garerama
garerama
1117 posts

Edited Apr 01, 2019, 20:45
Apr 01, 2019, 20:42
Andfurthermoreagain wrote:

Just one thing though (Columbo) - Is it me, or is the version of Reynard actually the Westminster 1987 version? haven't done an a/b with Copulation but the intro "This is in fact Reynard the Fox" is the same.

I haven't heard the Westminster 1987 version, but Reynard is very stereo whereas the rest of it (bar a few odd bits) seems mono - even the audience is centred - whereas in Reynard the audience is very wide. I have commented earlier on this thread regarding its mono-ness. Great selection all the same...
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Apr 01, 2019, 21:53
garerama wrote:
Andfurthermoreagain wrote:

I haven't heard the Westminster 1987 version, but Reynard is very stereo whereas the rest of it (bar a few odd bits) seems mono - even the audience is centred - whereas in Reynard the audience is very wide. I have commented earlier on this thread regarding its mono-ness. Great selection all the same...

Yeah, I noticed a few odd 'stereo' bits - like the backing vocals on Don't Take Roots. To be honest, everything Cope does with stuff like this tends to be deliberate, him being such a fan of rock and roll 'gimmicks'. And knowing his sense of humour, it wouldn't surprise me if he's done a tongue in cheek homage to so-called classic live albums (overdubs and the odd track from a different show).
Anyone else would just master the tracks and stick it out without much thought, but I can just imagine him going "no, we've got to do this properly - like Alive II".
I like it!
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index