garerama
garerama
1115 posts

Re: Barrowlands - 1995
Apr 01, 2019, 23:10
Andfurthermoreagain wrote:
garerama wrote:
Andfurthermoreagain wrote:

Just one thing though (Columbo) - Is it me, or is the version of Reynard actually the Westminster 1987 version? haven't done an a/b with Copulation but the intro "This is in fact Reynard the Fox" is the same.

I haven't heard the Westminster 1987 version, but Reynard is very stereo whereas the rest of it (bar a few odd bits) seems mono - even the audience is centred - whereas in Reynard the audience is very wide. I have commented earlier on this thread regarding its mono-ness. Great selection all the same...

Yeah, I noticed a few odd 'stereo' bits - like the backing vocals on Don't Take Roots. To be honest, everything Cope does with stuff like this tends to be deliberate, him being such a fan of rock and roll 'gimmicks'. And knowing his sense of humour, it wouldn't surprise me if he's done a tongue in cheek homage to so-called classic live albums (overdubs and the odd track from a different show).
Anyone else would just master the tracks and stick it out without much thought, but I can just imagine him going "no, we've got to do this properly - like Alive II".
I like it!

Spot on. I think this is the case Columbo!
Mrs Ahab
Mrs Ahab
1138 posts

Apr 04, 2019, 14:39
I've looked and looked and I'm convinced I see my own young face in the crowd shot on the cover, to the right of his bum bum, behind the front row, from memory its the right place for me in the crowd and I clearly remember such a moment. So I reckon its Bristol!

It was September and the first time I saw see Julian play, the first time I'd been to a gig on my own, I got the train from Swindon. I was 19 and had been a fan since I was 11 so it was really exciting. I remember it as being wild and frenzied, euphoric even. He and his band were every bit as freaky as I hoped and I loved him more than ever when he pulled me to the front and gave me a big kiss. The next day I left home for the first time. At the gig, I bought a t-shirt, head on, and a big tour poster. I moved into my little room in a shared house, his poster on my wall. I immersed myself in his writing for the first couple of weeks as I got to know my way around and make new friends at the art college. I've seen him play countless gigs since and I still feel excited every time but the memories of that gig will always be synonymous with when I was bursting with a new found independence. Absolutely loving this release, and enjoying wearing my 95 t-shirt too!
Jeez
98 posts

Apr 04, 2019, 15:35
That's a great reminiscence - surely you could never forget those psychedelic leggings!
It must be great to be preserved forever on an L.P. sleeve!
Can you confirm whether it is the same session as the back of Interpreter? Is that you on the extreme right edge next to the bloke in the Lennon glasses? That photo was taken by Ed Sirrs, but there's no credit on Barrowlands.
common era
865 posts

Apr 05, 2019, 11:25
Yeah, reckon that's definitely you Mrs. A, loitering at the front! ;-)

If you view the cover image in Merch you can zoon in quite nicely to see who's who:

https://www.headheritage.co.uk/merchandiser/packshots/FOAD300149-11.jpg
Mrs Ahab
Mrs Ahab
1138 posts

Apr 05, 2019, 14:36
Oh thats fab, thanks! Its deffinatley me!!! Lip ring circa 95 ID'd. So bristols astoria rooms is the location. What a lovely thing, id never thought i'd have a momento like that!
Mrs Ahab
Mrs Ahab
1138 posts

Apr 05, 2019, 14:38
No thats not me. I remember there was a woman on that picture posting some while back who revealed the location. It wasnt a gig i went to so dont remember where. Sorry.
Spaceship mark
Spaceship mark
1686 posts

Apr 05, 2019, 15:49
I was at that show. First Cope gig, got on the guest list after meeting Julian up on the downs a few months earlier. Just about to abort my time at Bristol Uni due to massive failure and move to Liverpool. Miss those times.
Mrs Ahab
Mrs Ahab
1138 posts

Apr 05, 2019, 16:28
Fuckin brilliant hey!
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Aug 29, 2019, 18:43
I'm a bit late to this party, but there's something else that's a bit strange....

Looking at the 8 setlists I have for the tour, he didn't play any of Reynard, East Easy Rider, Spacehopper or Torpedo once. Given that the setlists for those 8 gigs don't vary all that much, could the set for Glasgow really be that different?

Jus' sayin'....

love

Moth
garerama
garerama
1115 posts

Edited Aug 29, 2019, 20:30
Aug 29, 2019, 20:28
Moth wrote:
I'm a bit late to this party, but there's something else that's a bit strange....

Looking at the 8 setlists I have for the tour, he didn't play any of Reynard, East Easy Rider, Spacehopper or Torpedo once. Given that the setlists for those 8 gigs don't vary all that much, could the set for Glasgow really be that different?

Jus' sayin'....

love

Moth

See above posts from 1st April from andfurthermoreagain and myself. He likely has included stuff from other gigs. What is telling is the majority of the recording is mono/ centre panned = but there is stereo imagery in some pieces which hints other gigs (or overdubs). Raynard is almost defo from another gig which has been mentioned.
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index