Unsung Forum »
Best of the Drudion.

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
drudeawakening
138 posts

Best of the Drudion.
Dec 01, 2018, 16:21
As a relatively new Cope obsessive I’ve only come on board when everything is quiet. As such I’ve missed a lot of stuff back when it was current. Playing catch up witness some of Cope’s own input is expensive and I’m naturally a completist.

Similarly I’m really interested in discovering new music. I’m currently going through AOTM and checking out what seems to appeal to me. The old Drudion posts are interesting, also, but I’m finding it interwsting to plough through and see what interests me.

Can anyone chuck in some thoughts about some epic amazing stuff they’ve discovered through the Druidion or AOTM posts? I have a bit of a thing for anything for under produced metal CDr releases too.

Thanks in advance.
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Re: Best of the Drudion.
Dec 02, 2018, 06:07
drudeawakening wrote:
As a relatively new Cope obsessive I’ve only come on board when everything is quiet. As such I’ve missed a lot of stuff back when it was current. Playing catch up witness some of Cope’s own input is expensive and I’m naturally a completist.

Similarly I’m really interested in discovering new music. I’m currently going through AOTM and checking out what seems to appeal to me. The old Drudion posts are interesting, also, but I’m finding it interwsting to plough through and see what interests me.

Can anyone chuck in some thoughts about some epic amazing stuff they’ve discovered through the Druidion or AOTM posts? I have a bit of a thing for anything for under produced metal CDr releases too.

Thanks in advance.

Off the top of my head I would recommend:

Gunslingers
Stone Breath
Death Comes Along
Orthodox
Monoshock
Temple of Bon Matin
Qa'a
Terminal Lovers

And if you can track down anything by Holy McGrail, do not hesitate. Especially "Burning Holy Rome".
drudeawakening
138 posts

Dec 02, 2018, 13:52
Citizensmurf wrote:
drudeawakening wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Off the top of my head I would recommend:

Gunslingers
Stone Breath
Death Comes Along
Orthodox
Monoshock
Temple of Bon Matin
Qa'a
Terminal Lovers

And if you can track down anything by Holy McGrail, do not hesitate. Especially "Burning Holy Rome".

Cheers! Burning Holy Rome is the only Holy McGrail release I’m missing. Can’t find it anywhere. If anyone here has a spare copy I’m willing to pay well for it. Or any of my other Cope needs ...
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Dec 02, 2018, 13:52
One good way of checking new stuff is the weekly Soundtracks of Our Lives thread on here - I've discovered a whole bunch of new stuff by reading what others on here are listening to.
The Seth Man
1242 posts

Dec 02, 2018, 19:29
Hi, drudeawakening.

Here's several that come to mind that have stuck with me ever since Julian first reviewed them:

Tetragrammaton: "Elegy for Native Tongues"
Live, free form improvisation that reminds me of the Philip K. Dick quote "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." The weaving and repetitive textures of this album elevate to a point where they collect and hold like a low pressure system.
And when it's over, you can go to sleep.

Nathaniel Mayer: "Why Don't You Give It To Me?"
Stellar offering from late in Mayer's life with soulfully grizzled vocals with great garage backing. Side two has a great live run-on of several songs that Julian accurately compared to another side two: Kim Fowley's OUTRAGEOUS (1968) album. (If you don't know it...get it.)

Death Comes Along: "Death Comes Along"
I second Citizensmurf's reply. This album is truly brilliant: absolutely insane, fucked up, cryptic, psychotic, psychedelic and every other adjective you can think of for a record that makes you feel like you're on drugs when you're straight and...dead when you're on drugs.

A.R. & Machines: "Echo"
A masterpiece. This double album expands time whenever I listen to it. Nearly the soundtrack of everything that's ever happened in human history, both known and unknown.

Boredoms: "Vision Creation Newsun"
Disorienting, inspiring, energetic, wild and at points blissfully simple, this album stands up all these long years since I first bought it a day after I first read Julian's review...November 2001?!!

Furze: "Sathanas' Megalomania" (off the "Necromanzee Cogent" album)
Julian wrote about this in his NEFARIOUS ARTISTS custom compilation review.
Hectic metal that makes you wonder what's going on for 23 minutes.

Hope this helps.
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Dec 02, 2018, 21:49
I concur with Seth Man.

Also if you haven't found a copy, the 3cd Copendium compilation is a great taster for the AOTMs.
phallus dei
583 posts

Dec 03, 2018, 00:55
My ten favorite AOTM would be:
1. A.R.and Machines - Echo
2. Franco Battiato - Fetus
3. Kim Fowley - Outrageous
4. Tokyo Kid Brothers - Throw Away the Books, Let's Go into the Streets
5. Magma - Kontarkosz
6. Les Rallizes Denudes - Heavier than a Death in the Family (though I prefer Live '77, which has most of these tracks)
7. Far Out - S/T
8. Alrune Rod - Hey Duj
9. Randy Holden - Population 2
10. Speed, Glue & Shinki - Eve

Keep in mind, I'm still stuck in the 70s...
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Dec 03, 2018, 10:14
Yeah, me too!
MARTASE
MARTASE
603 posts

Edited Dec 03, 2018, 19:01
Dec 03, 2018, 18:58
Totally with you on that Boredoms review SM! I did the same - ordered immediately - and who wouldn't? A stunning review for a still awesome album.
MARTASE
MARTASE
603 posts

Dec 03, 2018, 19:15
If you'd be content with a burn (if you're in the UK) or dropbox/googledrive mp3 of Burning Holy Rome then I'd be happy to oblige...
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index