Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Edited Sep 29, 2018, 01:34
Is this Copes most honest interview...?...oh and Fido's Blues Links
Sep 29, 2018, 01:15
Was bored and scooting through youtwat and came across this old Late Show interview with Cope from around the time of Peggy. I remember watching it at the time and finding it a hard watch. He seemed in a really fragile place, you can see it in his actions, and the from the tone of his voice. I'm glad it kinda panned out for him, albeit briefly, though I fear he has become that whimsical cult artist that he professed to despise back then. Still, I'll stick with the guy till the end, he's still one of the few artists willing to stick his neck out and try something different from what we expect, even if some of it doesn't always do it fer me.
Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSReWaQilRQ
Part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92y_Nh4oEpE&t=200s

Also got me wondering if there was more footage to the interview that was left on the cutting room floor, would be interesting if it ever turned up somewhere.

Also noticed 'Fido's Blues' is there up too...

Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf0yYSo3In4
Part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u2ZUpL7VC4
Part 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Ge3BbU1eM
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Re: Is this Copes most honest interview...?...oh and Fido's Blues Links
Sep 29, 2018, 21:27
regarding Fido's Blues, tis a crying shame there is no live audio feed to synch with what is actually happening on video
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Sep 29, 2018, 22:31
Yeah, I thought the same regarding the sound of Fido's Blues, I guess Cope felt he couldn't do it justice by releasing the dogs dinner it looks to have become. zMind you, I noticed the crazy price people were willing to pay for it, he (The Drude) didn't do too bad out of the deal. Mocho Thankso to the poster on youtwat, would never have seen it otherwise.
phallus dei
583 posts

Edited Sep 29, 2018, 22:41
Sep 29, 2018, 22:33
Got to watch "Fido's Blues" today with a few beers in hand, as was no doubt intended. Anyone know who "Fido" was?
From my persepctive, the video is a Major Event, reconfriming my belief that the Black Sheep era was Cope's most politically / artistically focused period since the Trilogy. I'm not sure why Cope second-guessed himself to only give this video a limited release. It's pretty fucking rad. Thanks to Monganaut for aleting us to this, and to the orignal poster on YouTube (Tony Mack).
One of the things I find impressive about this period is Cope's ability to draw from both the Left & the Right. He pays homage to Winston Churchill at the same time he quotes from Marx & Castro. It's this all-embracive perspective that we need today if we're ever going to free ourselves from the Greedheads. Left & Right against the Center!
Stylistically, I read the lack of musical / visual syncronization as a homage to Ethan Mousike's film on Les Rallizes Denudes. Aside from Cope, the other Hero from the video is Acoustica, who seems Possessed. I've not heard his "A Letter to My Rose" ep, is it any good?
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Sep 30, 2018, 09:50
Was a good interview, saw it many years ago. Not sure what the intent was for Fido's Blues but the Black Sheep era must have been the most pointless of all his phases for me. Just seemed like a lot of sloganeering without any actual purpose.
phallus dei
583 posts

Edited Sep 30, 2018, 13:00
Sep 30, 2018, 12:58
Captain Starlet wrote:
Not sure what the intent was for Fido's Blues but the Black Sheep era must have been the most pointless of all his phases for me. Just seemed like a lot of sloganeering without any actual purpose.

Uh, the purpose of the Black Sheep era was to employ music, art, and history in a bombastic manner so as to wake people up from their mass-media produced stupor and alert them to their capacity to enact revolutionary change. I thought that was pretty clear.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Sep 30, 2018, 15:09
To who? If only a minority get that then it's not doing it's job. Also the fact it lasted such a short time really shows it didn't work.

I read the blurb on the BS project too.
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Edited Sep 30, 2018, 16:46
Sep 30, 2018, 16:45
Captain Starlet wrote:
To who? If only a minority get that then it's not doing it's job. Also the fact it lasted such a short time really shows it didn't work.

I read the blurb on the BS project too.

Cope summed up their mission statement when he sang:

"Use it or you'll lose it, keep on preaching revolution."

That no one listens or changes isn't the point, its that one shouldn't surrender their right to protest. Politics isn't just for politicians.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Sep 30, 2018, 17:55
phallus dei wrote:
Stylistically, I read the lack of musical / visual syncronization as a homage to Ethan Mousike's film on Les Rallizes Denudes.

Ahhh, that explains it. I'm not really a fan of Les Rallizes Denudes, so that reference went straight over me noggin. Thanks fer clearing it up.
wychburyman
951 posts

Oct 01, 2018, 16:36
Fascinating, thanks for that.

Had he not been in music, goodness knows what would have become of the lad!
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index