Is this Copes most honest interview...?...oh and Fido's Blues Links

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Re: Is this Copes most honest interview...?...oh and Fido's Blues Links
Oct 01, 2018, 19:29
Wasn't he training to be a teacher before he got caught up in the Liverpool scene? I Think he would have been great at that, like the ones who used to go off topic and teach around a subject as well as what you need to know (which sadly are few and far between these days).

Mind you, my missus thinks Copes is on the autistic spectrum (aspergers I think she said?). My Pa-in-law is (aspergers that is) and used to drink HEAVILY just to be able to function around other folk in a vaguely normal fashion (which was maybe why Cope took to psychedelics so readily, new research is saying they're good fer PTSD, long term depression etc....apparently accesses the empathy centres). Plus all copes vaguely obsessive behavior Re: collecting (which I feel he also did with the stone circle stuff to some degree). Just my thoughts.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Oct 02, 2018, 10:13
I agree with that, doesn't change my opinion of BS though
wychburyman
951 posts

Oct 02, 2018, 12:53
Monganaut wrote:
Wasn't he training to be a teacher before he got caught up in the Liverpool scene? I Think he would have been great at that, like the ones who used to go off topic and teach around a subject as well as what you need to know (which sadly are few and far between these days).

Mind you, my missus thinks Copes is on the autistic spectrum (aspergers I think she said?). My Pa-in-law is (aspergers that is) and used to drink HEAVILY just to be able to function around other folk in a vaguely normal fashion (which was maybe why Cope took to psychedelics so readily, new research is saying they're good fer PTSD, long term depression etc....apparently accesses the empathy centres). Plus all copes vaguely obsessive behavior Re: collecting (which I feel he also did with the stone circle stuff to some degree). Just my thoughts.

Indeed. Everything you say here makes sense to me. It's a real shame teachers can't be as creative in their lessons and content anymore.
thesussexidler
64 posts

Oct 02, 2018, 13:24
I have to say I agree.
Mantid
100 posts

Oct 02, 2018, 16:46
Thank you for posting these links - I'd seen the first set long ago but had always wanted to see the Black Sheep DVD.

I'm also a bit bummed that it didn't include audio of the performances, I really love the footage from the teaser video, which I watch fairly often - can't think of any other "ad" where this is the case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlY4v0zM6ug

I was hoping the DVD would be more of that. The acoustic versions hinted at in that video are fantastic.

Personally, and I realize this is not worth anything to anyone else, I might say the Black Sheep era is my favorite. Maybe it is preaching to the choir, but some of the points made are very much in tune with my world view:

"...the West must end, because we burn the candles at both ends"

"...your verse may lie if your chorus is pretty"

And "Feed My Rock n Roll" sounds almost campy at first but over the years has gelled for me into one of the most lucid invitations towards personal freedom I have encountered. Almost insidiously powerful (and threatening to The System) if you let the messages land:

"countercultural heroes who've been weighing down my shelves"

"Kundalini starts to undulate and irrigate my spine..."

"you don't need Jesus don't need Moses nor Mohammad for the role, all you really need is you to play that heathen Rock n Roll"

It almost feels eerily like this whole effort was micro-targeted at me. Meanwhile, I've put a great deal of effort into exploring the historic and cultural references which were new to me, and learned quite a bit. Mind-expanding, literally.

So, maybe it is "BS", maybe it is a thin veneer of political diatribe without concrete guidance or plan, but who cares? It lights a real fire in my soul and has definitely served to ratchet me up a level or two on the forward-thinking spectrum.

Speaking of "spectrum", the idea that Cope is possibly a member of the Asperger's club is interesting - and I think (while that psychological model is possibly dubious, let's entertain it) that most people I am myself interested in sharing thoughts with are, as well. I probably am. I am so glad he has the obsession with the ancient monuments - it has opened my eyes to the richly spectacular nature of our history and pre-history, and renewed my own latent interests in archaeology and history. My own obsession with tracing music-which-reaches-me back to shamanic roots (conveniently serving as a shortcut to my own inner core) has been quite lubricated by Cope's studies, and his generosity in sharing all of this will forever have him as a core member of my personal pantheon of inspirations.
phallus dei
583 posts

Edited Oct 02, 2018, 19:01
Oct 02, 2018, 19:01
Mantid wrote:

Speaking of "spectrum", the idea that Cope is possibly a member of the Asperger's club is interesting - and I think (while that psychological model is possibly dubious, let's entertain it) that most people I am myself interested in sharing thoughts with are, as well. I probably am. I am so glad he has the obsession with the ancient monuments - it has opened my eyes to the richly spectacular nature of our history and pre-history, and renewed my own latent interests in archaeology and history. My own obsession with tracing music-which-reaches-me back to shamanic roots (conveniently serving as a shortcut to my own inner core) has been quite lubricated by Cope's studies, and his generosity in sharing all of this will forever have him as a core member of my personal pantheon of inspirations.

Good points. There are probably quite a few DSM terms that could be thrown at Cope - Aspergers, narcissistic, paranoid, schizotypal, anti-social behavior. Of course, from the view of authority, "sanity" is best represented by the unthinking, passive consumer. Whatever problems Cope might have, he's developed a method that has not only kept him productive for nearly 40 years (!), he's also inspired quite a few of us, too. Society would be much worse off if he was "normal."
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Edited Oct 03, 2018, 11:51
Oct 03, 2018, 11:33
I never said Cope HAD aspergers or was on the autistic spectrum, just that some of his actions and behaviours suggested so (well my missus did, as I said, her Dad has it, so she's observed it at close quarters growing up, and has noted how it seems to manifest itself more openly the older he gets).
I'd hate to think peeps were taking it as red that the guy has the condition.

I don't know the guy, he's not my friend or acquaintance, I've not observed him up close going about his everyday life. What I've gleaned is from interviews and hearsay. I remember how he cut out Thipe from his life for spurious reasons way back when, a fella who had (like his work with COIL) given Cope a shot in the arm that gave birth to a plethora of new projects, ideas and new directions. Cope even cut his hair to resemble the guy his influence was so profound. Having said all that.... He has been an amazing inspiring force that has enriched many of our lives in all kinds of ways. I love the guy to bits, faults and all. Let's be honest, most, if not all of us have been intentionally or unintentionally shits to someone else for whatever reason in our lifetime for reasons that, looking back, we're not so proud of.
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Oct 03, 2018, 11:48
He's also consumed a shedload of narcotics, tbf.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Oct 03, 2018, 11:52
Ha ha, yeah. When I told my psych that I'd done the same several years ago, he called it self medicating. Shit, and I just thought I was having fun :)
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Oct 03, 2018, 14:50
Hehe!
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index