Pronouncing band names wrong

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Re: Pronouncing band names wrong
Feb 13, 2015, 13:45
Never could work out how to say 'Terje Rypdal'. Really dig the guy's records, mind.
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Feb 13, 2015, 14:03
For ages (about 15 years) I used to pronounce Roky Erickson's name 'Roh-kee' (rhyming with Loki) until I realised it was to be pronounced the same as the fictional boxer.

I also used to refer to 60s freakbeat band Les Fleur De Lys with the Les as in Dawson (as opposed to the correct French pronunciation).
That said 'Les' as in the name seems more appropriate as it gives their take on psychedelia the 'real-ale consciousness*' vibe it probably deserves.

*A Mick Farren phrase referring to the notion of a psychedelic band member who does not seem to partake in the psychedelic 'experience'.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Feb 13, 2015, 15:12
1001realapes wrote:
Then there's the whole Kluster / Cluster
thing , i've heard folks pronounce it (clew-ster)

Indeed. I also used to think Amon Duul was pronounced aymon dool until I heard Julian say it the right way when he compered that Krautrocksampler night at the NFT.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Feb 13, 2015, 17:08
Feb 13, 2015, 17:08
I know for a fact I used to pronounce Neu embarrassingly wrong, as it took a cewt German Krautrock sista to correct me at a Legendary Pink Dots gig.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Feb 13, 2015, 19:11
"Freur" was a bit of a challenge cos you had to wait for someone to say it unless you were familiar with phonetic symbols.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Feb 13, 2015, 19:22
Moon Cat wrote:
Sunn O))) is just sun according to Steve O)))Malley and I guess he should know. The other bit is part of the logo on Sunn amps.

http://music-electronics-forum.com/attachments/6392d1253733302-four-sunn-logos.jpg

I knew this, but nonetheless still feel obligated to pronounce the "O", just because its there!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Edited Feb 13, 2015, 19:24
Feb 13, 2015, 19:23
Moon Cat wrote:
I believe Gary Barlow is correctly pronounced "Twat".

I thought this thread was about pronouncing names incorrectly?

*your comment made me LOL actually
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Feb 13, 2015, 20:03
Autechre can confuse (I'm glad someone told me what they were called when I first came across them). Awtekker

http://forum.watmm.com/topic/49089-funniest-pronounciations-of-autechre/

"anybody who corrects you on the pronunciation of made up names is an absolute twat."
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Feb 14, 2015, 04:54
Sin Agog wrote:
I know for a fact I used to pronounce Neu embarrassingly wrong, as it took a cewt German Krautrock sista to correct me at a Legendary Pink Dots gig.

I know it's pronounced "noi", but since it actually means "new" in English, it doesn't seem so wrong to pronounce it as such.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Feb 14, 2015, 07:37
What's doubly confusing is Neue is used waaay more often in German than Neu. I think it's a grammar thing.
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index