Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
MC
638 posts

Edited Dec 14, 2011, 13:48
Re: Japrocksampler Reappraisal
Dec 14, 2011, 13:48
redfish365 wrote:
I was familiar with most of the bands in JRS before it came out.
Faves include FLower Travellin Band, Far East Family Band, JA Caesar, Speed, Glue & Shinki, Blues Creation and Les Rallizes.
Special mention to People/Buddha Meets Rock, Takehisa Kosugi (whose Catch Wave is glorious drone), Brast Burn's Debon and everything from Taj Majal Travellers.
Still unable to track down anything by East Bionic Symphonia...
Oh, the Akira Ishikawa & Count Buffalos Uganda album is quite cool too!
Karuna Khyal's Alomoni 1985 was somewhat disappointing... as was Gedo.
Still searching for some Tokyo Kid Brothers...

For Tokyo Kid Brothers start off with Throw Away the Books (Old Victor or P-Vine CD version) the more recent mini CD LP version they really messed up the mastering and the album totally looses its impact.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Dec 15, 2011, 04:16
Dec 15, 2011, 03:59
Already big on Flower Travellin Band before the book, but not so much impressed by Speed Glue & Shinki until after (mainly the brilliant "Eve" album -- there isn't enough Glue on the second one!)

Far East Family Band was also a fave, but he helps you to sort out all those overlapping albums (rerecording some bits with Klaus Schulze.)

The "People-Ceremony-Buddha Meet Rock" seems to go over well with most who have heard it.

Brast Burn "Debon" is classic under-freak-noise, and Seishokki "Organs of Blue Eclipse" another fine one in a similar vein (as is Karuna Kayal.)

Magical Power Mako & JA Caesar haven't done the trick for me as much, though I have a favorite album by each (Jump & Kokou Junreikyo, sic!)

If you like the "max blooz" thing, the LIVE Blues Creation album is their best IMHO. Never have been able to find the album they made as "Creation" however (with the famous "pissing boys" cover.)

I love "weird jazz", so big on the "Uganda" and "Amalgamation" albums as well. Some of the Stomu Yamashita didn't impress me as much (I dunno about drums as a lead instrument I guess.)

PS - I don't think the Mizutani "Path Through Haze" album is nearly as bad as Cope says (nor is it much like "Hot Rats" as he says.)
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Dec 15, 2011, 04:31
Dog 3000 wrote:

I love "weird jazz", so big on the "Uganda" and "Amalgamation" albums as well. Some of the Stomu Yamashita didn't impress me as much (I dunno about drums as a lead instrument I guess.)

PS - I don't think the Mizutani "Path Through Haze" album is nearly as bad as Cope says (nor is it much like "Hot Rats" as he says.)

Forgot about Amalgamation! It's a goodie, yeah!
I totally agree with you about Path Through the Haze... I actually quite enjoy it and really don't get what Cope's said about it. That's long struck me as odd. I also totally agree about Stomu... really never clicked for me.
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Dec 15, 2011, 04:32
MC wrote:
redfish365 wrote:
I was familiar with most of the bands in JRS before it came out.
Faves include FLower Travellin Band, Far East Family Band, JA Caesar, Speed, Glue & Shinki, Blues Creation and Les Rallizes.
Special mention to People/Buddha Meets Rock, Takehisa Kosugi (whose Catch Wave is glorious drone), Brast Burn's Debon and everything from Taj Majal Travellers.
Still unable to track down anything by East Bionic Symphonia...
Oh, the Akira Ishikawa & Count Buffalos Uganda album is quite cool too!
Karuna Khyal's Alomoni 1985 was somewhat disappointing... as was Gedo.
Still searching for some Tokyo Kid Brothers...

For Tokyo Kid Brothers start off with Throw Away the Books (Old Victor or P-Vine CD version) the more recent mini CD LP version they really messed up the mastering and the album totally looses its impact.

This is very good to know! I've been close to ordering the mini-sleeve... now I'll hold off!!
MC
638 posts

Dec 17, 2011, 15:56
A couple of other slightly more recent favorites:

Marble Sheep and the Run Down Suns Children - Old From New Heads
Ground Zero - Consume Red
Boredoms - Super Roots 7 (who couldn't love 40+ minutes worth of the Mekons Where Were You riff psychedelicized to infinity)
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Dec 17, 2011, 16:41
Thanks - I'll have to investigate.

I did get a copy of Satori by Flower Travelling Band, which I quite like, but that was as far as I got apart from Rallizes.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Dec 18, 2011, 09:32
Squid Tempest wrote:
Thanks - I'll have to investigate.

I did get a copy of Satori by Flower Travelling Band, which I quite like, but that was as far as I got apart from Rallizes.

I think you will love Catch Wave in particular. Let me know if you can't find it. x
machineryelf
3681 posts

Dec 18, 2011, 12:37
IanB wrote:
knowing your stuff and your taste a bit I would very highly recommend

Catch Wave by Takehisa Kosugi
August 1974 by Taj Mahal Travellers

If you can imagine the Page "Lucifer's Rising" score taken to its true destination then that is Catch Wave. August 74 is equally unsettling listening.

agree on both counts, both are readily available but on the Phoenix label which IIRC is somewhat dodgy, anyone heard these
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Dec 18, 2011, 13:01
I already had Satori - a truly great LP (whilst I like Speed Glue & Shinki's Eve I never understood why Cope had them 1= in his top 50).

Far East Family Band - really like the Far Out LP plus Nipponjin and Parallel Worlds

Les Rallizes Denudes - Heavier than a death in the family (got others but this is the essential one for me and the one that gets most play)

I love the J A Caesar (Seazer) LPs - the female chorus singing is fantastic in combination with his doomy organ and the psych band in the orchestral pit!

Brast Burn - Debon. Lo-fi, not sure what it is I like about this, v simple and organic but gets repeated plays.

Kirikyogen by Kuni Kawachi & the Flower Travellin Band is another fave. Recorded before Satori, 7 pretty original rock tracks. Recommended

The pain is trying to get these on non bootleg cds. They started cropping up on amazon e.g. Phoenix, promising a ltd edition card sleeve (yes with no inlay). Then I read Phoenix had risen from the ashes of Radioactive so didn't buy anymore (actually Satori is my one Radioactive cd, and I almost bought it again on Phoenix but found out in the nick of time!)
Maldoror
Maldoror
720 posts

Edited Dec 20, 2011, 05:25
Dec 20, 2011, 05:22
Hmmm... apart of LRD's output and Flower Travelling Band's Satori, which are really something WAAAAY OUT of this world (specially regarding Mr. Mizutani's work), I prefer by very far Makoto Kawabata / Asahito Nanjo / Tatsuya Yoshida generation in terms of japanese mayhem.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index