Spacious Mind?

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Spacious Mind?
Nov 10, 2010, 21:26
Has anyone got a clue as to what - if anything - is up with Sweden's psychedelic and space rock kings The Spacious Mind? Since 2007s Gentle Path Highway there's been nary a cd-r or even a single from these occasionally prolific freaks and I for one need my fix!
Even side-projects like Moon Trotskij, Holy River Family Band and Cauldron have been incommunicado! Keyboardist Jens (Unosson) put a pair of albums out but the last seems to be from '06.
So are the Spacious Mind no longer?
Or perhaps they've locked themselves away in an old abbey in the hinterlands with pounds of herb and big treasure chests full of psychedelics and are working on their magnum opus (this is my preferred scenario! )
Has anyone heard anything about these guys?
Enquiring minds are dying to know!

NP - Chico Magnetic Band/ST
km
2 posts

Re: Spacious Mind?
Nov 10, 2010, 21:47
I asked Jens a similar question when buying some LPs from him a little while back (via his Beautiful Lies You Could Live In vinyl mailorder: http://www.beautifullies.se/).

He said they have a new album recorded and mixed, but the release deal for it fell through and they'd not yet decided what to do with it. He said he'd like to put it out on LP only, and at that point they were looking around for options.

Hopefully something works out! I've been a huge fan since their first release back in the 90s, and it's been too long since the last one...
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Nov 11, 2010, 00:50
Thanks for the info! Hopefully they'll release the album that's waiting in the wings... and a cd release would be really nice for those of us shortsighted folks who don't have a turntable any longer. It's cool to know that there is "new" material out there even if it isn't yet available.

Jens' site is cool... some great vinyl there....and more fodder for that part of me that wants to get a turntable...gawd knows I've got enough old vinyl laying around!
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Nov 11, 2010, 03:34
Blimey, they've got a long discography Redfish, can you give me an idea of the best place to start with them pretty please?

Ta in advance.
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Nov 11, 2010, 06:12
mingtp wrote:
Blimey, they've got a long discography Redfish, can you give me an idea of the best place to start with them pretty please?

Ta in advance.

Sure thing, Ming!

The first I'd heard from these cats was their "Live Vol. 1 - Do Your Own Thing But Don't Touch Ours" and I fell hard for it. It's my "go to" album by them and is a good place to start. I listen to it as if it were one long piece of music and honestly barely know individual track names. Now they have several cds/cd-rs from before this one but I know nothing about them but assume they're all quite good. Their most recent, Gentle Path Highway is good but not my favorite. It's a little too restrained and quiet. Don't get me wrong though, its a good record but they've done better.
2005s Rotvalta on the other hand is outstanding! The cd-rs Tonen and Pickin Berries n Playin Blues are both keepers with Tonen being outtakes from the Rotvolta sessions and Pickin Berries a live disc. All the ones mentioned here are great but Gentle Path Hway is again my least listened to work. If you can find one of the cd-rs for a nice price, start there and see if they're your cuppa. Rotvalta is brilliant and Live Vol 1 is too.
This reminds me I want to acquire those earlier albums that are currently missing from my collection...hope they're available and not too costly!
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Nov 12, 2010, 02:10
*bump*

To Ming I wanna say that today I broke out Gentle Path Highway after not listening to it for prolly a year. I was very impressed and feeling guilty as hell for saying it was a weaker Spacious Mind album. It is not. I must've been in the wrong frame of mind at that last listen because there's not a thing wrong with it and at times it reminds me of the very excellent album by Moon Trotskij called "I Fell But Andromeda Rose to the Stars." This reminded me also that if you're having trouble finding reasonably priced Spacious Mind stuff you could do far worse than getting the Moon Trotskij disc. (Its the only thing Moon Trotskij has ever released as far as I know.) Moon Trotskij is Spacious Mind related and very much sounds it.

NP - Circle/Pori
Now reading - Anthony Bourdain/ Kitchen Confidential
All while the Baltimore Ravens - Atlanta Falcons game is on my TV without sound. I've a small wager on the Ravens tonite to keep things inneresting til my mighty Chicago Bears do battle on Sunday.
1001realapes
1001realapes
2387 posts

Nov 12, 2010, 13:19
Don't miss Brotherhood Of Eternal Love as well !

Good discography here :

http://hawklord.com/music/TSMdisco.htm
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Nov 13, 2010, 03:10
Thanks for all the info Redfish, you're a star. I'll try and start with Rotvalta if I can find it at a sensible price.

Cheers.
1001realapes
1001realapes
2387 posts

Edited Nov 15, 2010, 04:34
Re: Spacious Mind
Nov 13, 2010, 12:47
Råd Kjetil & The Loving Eye of God - Mattmar
and self titled are very cool indeed
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Nov 16, 2010, 13:28
Wow Redfish you weren't kidding about Rotvalta! My CD arrived really quickly and it's on the stereo right now blowing me away. This is the trippiest album I've heard in ages and is utterly spellbinding - it's superb!

Thank You!!!!!
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index