Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Re: Spacious Mind?
Nov 16, 2010, 15:23
km wrote:
I asked Jens a similar question when buying some LPs from him a little while back (via his Beautiful Lies You Could Live In vinyl mailorder: http://www.beautifullies.se/).

He said they have a new album recorded and mixed, but the release deal for it fell through and they'd not yet decided what to do with it. He said he'd like to put it out on LP only, and at that point they were looking around for options.

Hopefully something works out! I've been a huge fan since their first release back in the 90s, and it's been too long since the last one...

Welcome by the way KM.
km
2 posts

Nov 17, 2010, 16:36
Thanks Ming!

In addition to Redfish's solid recommendations, let me put in a good word for the early Spacious Mind releases as well. _Cosmic Minds at Play_ (1993) and _Organic Mind Solution_ (1994) are cut from the same cloth and remain two of my personal faves in their discography. Both are maybe more classically (not Classical tho) space-prog, containing multi-part suites of e-bowed guitars floating over atmospheric walls of vintage synths. The former is maybe a slightly better album, but the latter contains the all-time monsters "Interplanetarian Love Machine pt. II" and "The One That Really Won the War". (The double-LP _Sleepy Eyes and Butterfiles_ combines a couple of trax from _Cosmic Minds_ w/some other jams.)

Neither of these is as overtly "rockist" as more recent releases -- that emerged on 1999's _Mind of a Brother_, which followed the folkier _Sailing the Seagoat_ (1996) -- though they are comparable in style to Redfish's fave _Do Your Thing But Don't Touch Ours_ (2002), which contains nice 1999 live versions of some of those early pieces. The four limited live discs on the band's own Goddamn I'm a Countryman records (all released in 2005) are also chock full of mindfry moments.

I guess I probably shouldn't talk all these up too much as they're rare as hen's teeth these days, but that is most certainly a situation that needs to be righted via a well-apportioned reissue program. Any takers out there?
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Nov 17, 2010, 19:36
km wrote:
I guess I probably shouldn't talk all these up too much as they're rare as hen's teeth these days, but that is most certainly a situation that needs to be righted via a well-apportioned reissue program. Any takers out there?

Well that answers my next question, thanks KM. I'm definitely going to see what else I can find by them, but I did notice massive prices when shopping for the one I got. T'is a shame because I'd dearly love to snaffle these. Let's hope someone comes through on the reissue front.
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Nov 17, 2010, 22:36
mingtp wrote:
Wow Redfish you weren't kidding about Rotvalta! My CD arrived really quickly and it's on the stereo right now blowing me away. This is the trippiest album I've heard in ages and is utterly spellbinding - it's superb!

Thank You!!!!!

So glad you like it Ming!
I would love to find their first few but have had no luck at all over the last year plus.
Their last is worth grabbing if you can find it reasonably priced... actually everything they do is worth it if you can find. Try the Moon Trotskij too! I may be able to get you one of those myself for Xmas if you were interested.
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Nov 18, 2010, 02:21
redfish365 wrote:
Try the Moon Trotskij too! I may be able to get you one of those myself for Xmas if you were interested.

Wow, a very generous offer mate, thank you but I couldn't possibly.

*humbled*
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Nov 18, 2010, 02:55
mingtp wrote:
redfish365 wrote:
Try the Moon Trotskij too! I may be able to get you one of those myself for Xmas if you were interested.

Wow, a very generous offer mate, thank you but I couldn't possibly.

*humbled*

I don't mind, you're like a brother in music and I think I know where to get one at a fair price but its a bricks and mortar store near me. Next time I go there I'm going to see if its still there... if it is I'll just need your addy! And yeah, I insist!
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Nov 18, 2010, 11:06
redfish365 wrote:
I don't mind, you're like a brother in music and I think I know where to get one at a fair price but its a bricks and mortar store near me. Next time I go there I'm going to see if its still there... if it is I'll just need your addy! And yeah, I insist!

If it's one thing that Hollywood has taught me, never argue with a hippy who owns a .357 :)

I'll ping you my address my friend, thank you.
Maldoror
Maldoror
720 posts

Nov 19, 2010, 15:37
A very good band, at least on it's first records.

I have Cosmic Minds At Play (1993), Organic Mind Solution (1994) and The Mind Of A Brother (1999). All of them are pretty good exercises on psychedelia, specially TMOAB. Echoes of Ash Ra Tempel, Early Pink Floyd, Hawkwind, Amon Düül II and Agitation Free could be find on those records, but Spacious Mind manages to melt all those influences with 'take-no-prisoners' firepower,boldness and originality. The attack of the cerebellum gnawing spaced-out acid guitars and the thunderous rhythm section, combined with large waves of dreamy, drugged out otherworldliness, is positivelly astounding.

Mind-blowing psychedelic mayhem, for sure.
xholcaravan
1 posts

Mar 17, 2019, 16:19
Resurrecting this old post to let you guys know there's a new LP from The Spacious Mind out on Essence Music. It looks and sounds fantastic!

http://essence-music.com
https://essence-music.bandcamp.com/album/the-no-4-or-5-gravy-band
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index