This topic is locked

Pages: 18 – [ Previous | 113 14 15 16 17 18 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Re: enough is enough
Oct 30, 2010, 09:50
To be fair Ian, D1 often starts the trouble in the first place, completely unprovoked. However, I do agree. We should walk on by.

Om Shanti.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 30, 2010, 10:00
Oct 30, 2010, 09:58
The Sea Cat wrote:
To be fair Ian, D1 often starts the trouble in the first place, completely unprovoked. However, I do agree. We should walk on by.

Om Shanti.

I don't want to get involved in he-said-she-said but I think what started this specific thread detour was Dodge expressing an eye-brow cocked opinion about revisionist attitudes to pop music, throwing in some facts along the way, and the first response to his comment ended up with him basically (if indirectly) getting called a snob in return. Then all hell breaks loose. He's no angel in this but if people insist on pouring fuel on the fire ....
machineryelf
3681 posts

Re: I WILL NEVER BACK DOWN
Oct 30, 2010, 10:03
The Sea Cat wrote:
machineryelf wrote:
YOU ARE WEAK, the library has made you a weeping girl

VICTORY will be MINE love DODGE2, i repeat I WILL NEVER BACK DOWN , YOU ARE WEAK SCUM, all commies must die, NIXON WAS RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

On on the instructions of our client, Mr. T.S. Cat:

HAHAH!! LOL!!

Yours,

Messrs. Snurtlecock, Vammo & Spon

Your English humour and my total Irony bypass has INCENSED ME beyond compare

consider YOURSELf and everybody else on my
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJCul91-VAQ&feature=fvst

I give up, I've tried being Mr Angry all morning, and all it's done is give my caps lock a good hammering, lets just let him have his last word and when he goes off on one ignore him
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Oct 30, 2010, 10:59
Oct 30, 2010, 10:14
IanB wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:

Om Shanti.

I don't want to get involved in he-said-she-said but I think what started this specific thread detour was Dodge expressing an eye-brow cocked opinion about revisionist attitudes to pop music, throwing in some facts along the way, and the first response to his comment ended up with him basically (if indirectly) getting called a snob in return. Then all hell breaks loose. He's no angel in this but if people insist on pouring fuel on the fire ....

It is sometimes hard to gauge where someone's coming from on the net, but I personally have found some of his initial posts on threads to be automatically combatative as if there's a personal agenda going on re. HH and its contributors. That sets up a loop as some people will automatically respond to what they sense as agression. That's a perfectly understandable reaction IMO, and not pouring fuel on the fire. If you and I were having a friendly conversation face to face in a pub about music, and we didn't agree about something, I believe it would be relaxed and friendly, after all, it's only Rock and Roll as you say. With D1, I often get the impression in his posts that if he were to join in with this hypothetical conversation, his would be an attitude of squaring up to you, finger jabbing etc. I have nothing personal against the man whatsoever, but I do get that distinct impression unfortunately.
Myers
Myers
151 posts

Oct 30, 2010, 11:35
I like the monkees. A greatest hits is all I ever needed though.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 30, 2010, 12:32
Oct 30, 2010, 12:29
The Sea Cat wrote:
IanB wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:

Om Shanti.

It is sometimes hard to gauge where someone's coming from on the net, but I personally have found some of his initial posts on threads to be automatically combatative as if there's a personal agenda going on re. HH and its contributors. That sets up a loop as some people will automatically respond to what they sense as agression. That's a perfectly understandable reaction IMO, and not pouring fuel on the fire. If you and I were having a friendly conversation face to face in a pub about music, and we didn't agree about something, I believe it would be relaxed and friendly, after all, it's only Rock and Roll as you say. With D1, I often get the impression in his posts that if he were to join in with this hypothetical conversation, his would be an attitude of squaring up to you, finger jabbing etc. I have nothing personal against the man whatsoever, but I do get that distinct impression unfortunately.

You are rarely if ever less than reasonable in what you post. It was a good thread. It went bad. That it want bad is down to various people taking the bait and not crossing the proverbial street.

If you are right in what you say and Dodge is basically a troll then he must be pissing himself as he only has to twitch a Classic Rock muscle and everyone piles in ruining the vibe.

I acually thought there was nought wrong with Dodge's first posting in this particular thread. I thought Squid's reply was leaning towards the unnecessarily personal (the whole snobbery thing). Squid is a totally resonable and companionable human being in my experience so presumably this was a follow up to previous battles.

Whatever the root cause just take it "outside", take it to e mail, take into U-Know but don't poison a special resource with a load of name calling under the cloak of secrecy. If a flame war (that's a vile expression to start with) breaks out then at very least everyone else should try and stay out of it.

Either way if anyone's posts turn objectionable then just ignore them. Unlike real life isolating an on-line bully with silence takes all the oxygen out of the problem. Fact is that none of these conversations would happen in real life or get to the level of nastiness we've seen since the Two Erics thread in particular.

As an aside I would say that even in a free unmoderated environment people should get suspended from the site for spouting objectionable crap. That's not political correctness that's just common fucking courtesy.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Oct 30, 2010, 13:24
IanB wrote:
Whatever the root cause just take it "outside", take it to e mail, take into U-Know but don't poison a special resource with a load of name calling under the cloak of secrecy. If a flame war (that's a vile expression to start with) breaks out then at very least everyone else should try and stay out of it.

Just been pointed at this thread by someone, and while I've only read a small part of it, I can probably guess at what's gone on.

I've absolutely no interest in getting involved, but would like to point out that some of us consider U-Know to be "a special resource" too and would rather not have "a load of name calling under the cloak of secrecy" over there, thanks very much. Yes, it happens there -- much as it has happened on every board on this site, and on every public forum on the internet -- but frankly a lot of people would rather it didn't. So I'm not sure it's fair for you to suggest it's acceptable to dump personal nastiness into U-Know just because you use Unsung more.

Not trying to pick a fight. But I suspect you'd be a little miffed if I was to suggest that a "flame war" on U-Know should relocate to Unsung? None of the boards here should be used for trading insults. But the nature of U-Know obviously makes it a rather confrontational place, so it's more of a struggle to keep it on-topic and away from personal insults. Your suggestion merely hinders that struggle.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 30, 2010, 14:45
Oct 30, 2010, 14:38
Fair enough. The point I am failing to make is that political discussion is a place where heated argument has an established place and at times that will get personal. On a forum about rock n roll music? And largely vintage rock n roll music at that? Liking or not liking Eric Clapton or The Monkees is something that adults ought to be able to let go. Forgive, forget and get over it.

Though for some of those involved this row is at heart a political one. Rock music is just the vehicle for some kind of idealogical stand-off. So in many ways it belongs much more over on U-Know that over here. More Baudrillard than Long John Baldry.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Re: enough is enough.
Oct 30, 2010, 15:10
That's going to make for a very boring forum, you can discuss rock n roll and nothing else, and then only in a reasonable manner without disagreement.
I think this thread for example is great, this part of the thread is a marvellous diversion
http://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohead/unsung/topic/60207/threaded/761701
sidetracks to emo, what more could you want, the possibilities are endless so why straitjacket to a one topic per thread , no digression, no diversion mode
It's easy enough to filter out what you don't want & I'm sure we don't need to unload excess ballast onto U-know
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 30, 2010, 15:37
Re: enough is enough.
Oct 30, 2010, 15:33
machineryelf wrote:
That's going to make for a very boring forum, you can discuss rock n roll and nothing else, and then only in a reasonable manner without disagreement.
I think this thread for example is great, this part of the thread is a marvellous diversion
http://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohead/unsung/topic/60207/threaded/761701
sidetracks to emo, what more could you want, the possibilities are endless so why straitjacket to a one topic per thread , no digression, no diversion mode
It's easy enough to filter out what you don't want & I'm sure we don't need to unload excess ballast onto U-know

True. I take the U-Know comment back and apologise for any offense. As I say ignoring post designed to enrage is the easiest way to see this kind of thing off.

I am not arguing against diversions (I love a debating detour) I am arguing against pointless name calling and general ugliness which I still believe is about politics at heart. Some people who love outsider rock n roll (or art in general) have a profoundly conservative outlook and see no contradiction. There has to be a degree of live and let live if we are to keep this civil.
Pages: 18 – [ Previous | 113 14 15 16 17 18 | Next ] This topic is locked

Unsung Forum Index