33 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1706 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 26 July 2009 CE
Jul 25, 2009, 20:48
I'm out all tomorrow, and I'm in tonight, so:

Half Man Half Biscuit- Back in the DHSS. I don't think I've listened to this for nearly 20 years, but it was brilliant to stick it on again. I was right back in the 5th form at school again. Too many great lines to quote (and oh, how me and my mates quoted them as schoolboys), but what's overlooked is how musically appealing and distinctive this record is, too.

HX2- Pent Up. Sole self-released LP from local band who briefly, in about 1991, seemed like they could be contenders. Now just a period piece at best, but still has a punky charm for those of us who were there and is shot through with a self-depracating nihilism that is pure Halifax. If they'd been around 15 years later, would probably have been quickly signed and just as quickly dropped in the post-Arctic Monkeys tykeophile rush.

The Verve- A Northern Soul.

Astrolabe- Welcome to the Universe. Solid instrumental spacerock stuff.

Iggy Pop- New Values. 75% pure gold- I'm Bored, The Endless Sea, Girls, the title track, five foot one... but then can anyone listen to African Man without cringing? Ouch!

Gang of Four- Songs for the Free.

Rose of Avalanche- Always There.

Marc and the Mambas- Torments and Toreros. Now this is an overlooiked classic for sure. Loving Marc's version of Peter Hammill's 'Visions' amongst this weird hybrid of 80s goth rock, chanson, Scott Walker and latin-flavoured showtunes.

Mark Vidler- The Future, The Past and the Present Tension. I enjoyed this. The vocals are a bit contrived and it never really gets beyond the level of pastiche, but still...a very comfortable listen.

A Place To Bury Strangers- S/T. Looking forward to seeing them tomorrow.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index