Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jul 27, 2009, 11:47
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 26 July 2009 CE
Jul 27, 2009, 11:28
Carmel - "The Falling"
In their infancy Carmel were a great live band destined to make pretty dull albums but this record from 86 is a cracker. I used to go and see them at both the LMC on the one hand and New Romantic pose-holes like Club For Heroes on the other. Which pretty much sums up their problem - was this band going to end up being Swing Out Sister or Fontella Bass with the AAC? This was a problem that on record could make them come out like a less blase and Eurotrashy version of Allez Allez. That said "The Falling" actually sounds like a prototype for an imaginary uptempo Julee Cruise / Badalamenti record. Although Carmel was much more of a soul shouter than Ms Cruise it sounds like a "Mulholland Drive" mutation of Stax and Hi with a bit of a Herbaliser / Money Mark for the jazzers. Duffy eat yer heart out (not that she should care). And there's some Eno-tronics in there for you Art Rock fiends.

Joëlle Léandre/Marilyn Crispell/Paul Lovens/Richard Teitelbaum/Carlos Zingazo - "Joelle Leandre Project"
Around the age of 20 I was more than a bit obsessed with Joelle Leandre and her upright bass. I saw her at the Bloomsbury with Derek Bailey in 82 ish after reading an article in Collusion magazine (which makes The Wire look like Record Mirror) and was an instant devotee. This isn't necessarily the single most brilliant showcase for her playing but it's a nice ensemble improv record and the only one of hers I can lay my hands on without sending out a search party or buying a new turntable.

Here's some more about her.
http://spiritualarchives.blogspot.com/2008/02/artists-jolle-landre.html

Talking of obsessions, up to that point my bass heroes had been Jack Bruce, Charlie Haden, Tina Weymouth and Chris Squire.....

Yes - "The Fish" bass solo from "Yessongs"
This the very opposite of the (un)popular view of Prog. Contains more naked aggression than the entire Fugazi catalogue and as much grace as say "Another Green World". I have to mention this because when you listen to it in detail (as I did the other day) you can hear sections that have been nicked by all kinds of people from 10CC to XTC to Radiohead. Funny how one man's half a bar ends up being the basis for someone else's 7 minutes. Very Brian Eno that.

also this week .....

Miles Davis - Get Up With It
Steve Reich - Different Trains
Jon Hassell - Vernal Equinox
Eno and the Winkies - BBC session
The Mars Volta - Somerset House July 13 2009
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index