Re: 13th Floor Elevators - Sign of the 3 Eyed Men - NOW SHIPPING
Jun 14, 2009, 01:48
On the Stereo EE !
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Jun 14, 2009, 05:32
Having done my formative tripping to the 13th Floor Elevators in the late seventies, I'm a bit envious of those hearing it in its pristine, unmuddied quality.
I hope to be less skint one day and re-live it also.
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
356 posts

Edited Jun 16, 2009, 13:30
Jun 16, 2009, 13:10
I only ordered mine last week in a fit of excitement at having survived redundancy at work. It arrived this morning as I was taking an unplanned sick day. Half 8 in the morning, a knock on the door, instantly thought "I bet it's the Elevators!".....and it was.

Delved inside ltd edition box # 435 like a kid on Xmas morning. It's lavish, beautiful and a totally joyous thing to open up and look through.

Now onto the music......will there be enough hours in this day???

How do people on here use the mono and stereo mixes? Mono for the home hi-fi, stereo for headphones? Knowing me I'll drive myself mad playing each version over and over trying to decide which is best and spotting differences.

But first it's disc one 'Headstone', best to start at the beginning I suppose. I'll just have to hold off the itchy feeling of wanting to go straight to Easter Everywhere mono.

Now, where to put the box??
a23
a23
1004 posts

Jun 16, 2009, 22:51
Lonesome Cowboy Bill wrote:

I ended up putting the box with my elevators LPs - even though this commits a cardinal sin of mixing cd & lp...but it's just the right size.
bolox
bolox
311 posts

Jun 17, 2009, 09:14
Lonesome Cowboy Bill wrote:

Next to the International Artists box set from '79(?) would seem to be the perfect place.
marinade
marinade
306 posts

Aug 02, 2009, 11:52
Received this yesterday - what a lovely artefact. Only listened to Headstone and the Bull of The Woods 'bits' so far - love the uptempo 'Tried to Hide' and the Bad Seeds' 'All Night Long', which I think I actually prefer to any of the Elevators' later versions. But I was really knocked out by 'It's You' ('I Don't Ever Want to Come Down'). Someone mentioned this earlier in the thread - I wondered where it had been released before, as the box set says it emerged in the mid-80s, but I'd never heard it...?

I played 'All Night Long' and 'It's You' at my club night last night and both sounded great.
bolox
bolox
311 posts

Aug 02, 2009, 15:25
marinade wrote:
'I Don't Ever Want to Come Down'). Someone mentioned this earlier in the thread - I wondered where it had been released before, as the box set says it emerged in the mid-80s, but I'd never heard it...?

It was one of the 10 bonus tracks on the 2003 Charly EE release.
charlbury
81 posts

Aug 02, 2009, 17:23
There were two Texas Archive Recordings albums issued in the mid-80s. 'I Don't Ever Want To Come Down' was on 'Elevator Tracks'. The other was called and contains 'Fire In My Bones'.
LunarTunes
107 posts

Jul 28, 2010, 14:54
I finally got around to watching "You're Gonna Miss Me" last night and then discovered that Roky was right: I missed him. Or, more specifically, I missed this box set. Having no 13th Floor Elevators in my collection (an oversight, I know), I was actually going to go all out and order this box set. Sadly, but not surprisingly, it sold out. It's too bad that it will not be repressed as I'm sure they could sell another 1000 of them. As it is, it's up on eBay for $550-950US and one sold recently for $338US. The band and label and the folks behind the box set are leaving some money on the table and it's being grabbed by speculators, methinks. I'm hoping against hope that they do a limited second run. Meanwhile, I'm going to settle for I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN HERE BEFORE...

Peace.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jul 28, 2010, 15:01
Well it is being repressed individually as limited editions innit?
Heard one of the discs added some live stuff deemed too low quality for the box set too.

plus it went up on Demonoid around the time it came out.
Chris Cutler was complaining around the same time that the other large box set I got last year, Henry Cow was released on there around the time it first shipped. So it may have effected sales.

But I think 3 Eyed Men is still up anyway.
As is the Stooges funhouse sessions. & I got Neil young's archive and most of Miles davis's boxes there too.
Stevo
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index