Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
What's the weirdest record you've heard and enjoyed?

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Maldoror
Maldoror
720 posts

Re: What's the weirdest record you've heard and enjoyed?
Jul 01, 2013, 21:56
bernie the bolt wrote:

Agoraphobic Nosebleed -
Altered States Of America.

Well it was weird the first time I heard it, and I love it. 99 tracks (100 if you reverse the CD from track one) in 20 mins. Ferociously mad digital grindcore, but compellingly listenable. If you have a lot to do and only 20 minutes to do it in... this will help.

This record is totally off the hook, indeed. Amazing rapid fire / machine gun / lightning speed industrial cybergrind!
Eardrum
Eardrum
540 posts

Jul 01, 2013, 22:16
Blackdance by Klaus Schulze

went through a period when I was 16/17 of buying anything I could that was German and electronic based - helped by mates that had esoteric interests themselves and good local record shops

something about this album just clicked with me at the time, though heard it again last year and not sure what I saw in it now :(

still enjoy Timewind, Cyborg, X etc though
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Jul 01, 2013, 22:55
Difficult one really as there's so many and it get's to the point when it's not weird anymore, but probably Psychic TV "Dreams Less Sweet", early Residents, Tree Community "Christ Tree", Crass "Reality Asylum" came from nowhere, the other worldliness of ISB "The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter", most of Throbbing Gristle ... Third Ear Band ...
fat_fleet
fat_fleet
146 posts

Jul 01, 2013, 23:10
I don't know... David Bixby's Ode To Quetzalcoatl? I have a feeling the vast majority of my music collection somehow qualifies to someone and actually, I'm a little surprised the members here would be walking around branding stuff as "weird". If you folks think something is weird, please send it my way - I definitely wanna hear it.

I started listening to Penderecki, Ligeti, and Harry Partch around the same time, but never really thought of it as weird so much as beautiful I guess...well maybe Partch was a little weird with those fruity narratives.

When I was 13 and growing up in the suburbs in the early days of music videos, a teenage neighbor girl vividly recounted the experience of falling asleep on the couch and waking up after midnight with the O Superman video playing on the TV. "It was just an accordion playing this one note over and over again and this lady saying things like 'this is the hand - the hand that takes'". Sounded totally bizarre to me at that age (and I was already digging Barrett era Floyd). Neither of us knew who Laurie Anderson was and I wouldn't hear the song for another ten years, but by that time I guess my ears were ready.
fat_fleet
fat_fleet
146 posts

Edited Jul 01, 2013, 23:16
Jul 01, 2013, 23:14
Ha! I actually thought of mentioning "Dreams Less Sweet", probably just as you were typing it, but I was like "Nah...not weird enough for HH"

But I was obsessed with that one as a teenage acid head...that and TG's Second Annual Report
Charlie2300
Charlie2300
412 posts

Jul 02, 2013, 03:04
handofdave wrote:
Rhino has put out some weird stuff.

Somewhere in my collection is a compilation of very weird Rhino recordings, including a homoerotic song to baseball cards, a rant by Blassey, King of Men, 'Be True to your Schule' and a few other punk-jew anthems, among others.

I once had a really weird dream I was in a futuristic stadium, sitting high up on some insane bleacher, when the entire crowd bursts into the 'Baseball Card Lover' song. I woke up laughing.

Rhino Records went out of their way to find novelty and the truly bizarre - I was absolutely blown away when I first encountered the video accompanying "Fish Heads". Real quirky,
...and let us not forget The Temple City Kazoo Orchestra and their
awe-inspiring rendition of "Whole Lotta Love (Live)". Now that's weird and wonderful.
Charlie2300
Charlie2300
412 posts

Jul 02, 2013, 03:16
sakedelic wrote:
quite a few things fit the bill, so, a bit of a toss-up.
here are the first 20(+) that come to mind. (I could keep going for hours)....:
Krystoff Penderecki - Utrenja
Magma - Olivier Messiaen - Eclairs sur l'Au-Dela...
The Boredoms - Pop Tatari
Henry Cow - Unrest or In Praise of Learning
Hans Reichel - Bonobo
Hans Reichel & Eroc - Return Of Onkel Boskopp
Derek Bailey & Jamie Muir - Dart Drug
Throbbing Gristle - Special Treatment
Henry Kaiser - Aloha
Captain Beefheart - Strictly Personal
Harry Partch - (name any Partch LP here)
Kalrheinz Stockhausen - Hymnen
Pierre Henry - Variations For a Door and a Sigh
The Residents - Eskimo
Giacinto Scelsi - Uaxuctum
Etron Fou le Loublan - Les 3 fous Perdegagnent - Au pays des...
Univers Zero - Heresie
Stud Cole - S/T
Iannis Xenakis - Kraanerg

I have owned all of these at one time or another & still have most of them

I knew there was a reason that I've recently started regularly posting on Head Heritage! What a list.......20 choices, some of which I own and wouldn't part with on pain of torture and many that I'm now real intrigued about. There's a bunch of Zeuhl bands in here that don't count as weird in my book; "Heresie" is one of the darkest recordings I've ever come across and "Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh" is a real contender for the most 'epic' album ever produced.
A great list....I'd love to have some of these tunes

Cheers
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Edited Jul 02, 2013, 10:48
Jul 02, 2013, 10:22
1) French, Frith, Kaiser, Thompson - Hai Sai Ochi San. When I first heard this it blew my previous pigeonhole of Thompson as 'serious' clean away. Him singing a bawdy Japanese song in the vernacular. A piece of supreme silliness.... 2) Another one would be There Is A Man by Manfred Mann. It's an b- side to one of his early hits - I don't know which - about a bloke being locked up in a mental institution and being physically abused. Very claustrophobic and downright freaky sound effects and lyrics. People would have played the a side, the usual fare, flipped it over and gone "wtf?" Only heard it the once round a mates, but it stuck.. not sure I 'enjoyed' it, on second thoughts, but 'weird' - you bet.... 3) Henry Hall - Teddy Bears Picnic. My introduction to jazz as a two year old. Well, it was weird back then. My Dad had a crackly '78 .... 4) Serge Gainsbourg - Histoire de Melody Nelson. I used to listen to the English service of Radio Luxembourg under the bedclothes late at night as a kid, and, after that closed down, the French. One night they played this - I expect on release, which dates me. That lovely feedback, the lyrics I didn't understand, but sensed were 'wrong'...... 5) An album by Manitas da Plata - I think the first - recorded live in a cave, that a girlfriend used to play on my amourous visits. The whoops and rhythmic clapping of Manitas' audience. Rodrigo y Gabriella are very good, but this was something else..... 6) Just twiddling the dial of my Dad's big old short wave radio at night as a kid in out front room. Open fire blazing, light out. Listening to arabic orchestras and women ululating. Listen to Czukay's Persian Love and you'll get the gist. 'Other', and lovely .........may add to this, expect there's loads more
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Jul 02, 2013, 10:38
I was listening to that recently. All the more strange and pioneering considering this was recorded over 50 years ago. One of the first studio tinkerers
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Jul 02, 2013, 10:42
Out there, yet accessible is a winning combination for me. I take your point, but some 'challenging' music, if you are not in a good place and feeling grounded - can make you feel a bit ill and disorientated. That was certainly the justification to my original post
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index