Radioactive Records: the enemy?

36 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Nov 20, 2012, 23:36
Re: Radioactive Records: the enemy?
Jun 04, 2006, 16:09
That's a fair point, but even re-issues with a limited potential audience tend to appeal to audiophiles, many of whom I suspect would be prepared to shell out for the same album twice if the sonic improvements were that drastic (to go back to my previous example, I would buy "Farewell Aldebaran" again if it was remastered from the original tapes with informative liner notes).

As another for instance, pretty much everyone I knew who bought the Sony CD of Skip Spence's "Oar" (which was legit, admittedly, but had been drastically remixed and thus sounded nothing like the vinyl original) bought it again on Sundazed due to the authenticity factor of owning the original mix.

Also, I'm sure with a good deal of the Straight stuff like Tim Buckley's "Starsailor" and "An Evening With Wild Man Fischer", legit re-issues would sell enough to cover costs as these records have a massive cult reputation already, and are only unavailable due to legal complications between Herb Cohen and the Frank Zappa estate.

But yeah, I can see how your argument could apply to a lot of good records that don't yet have that degree of critical kudos.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index