Radioactive Records: the enemy?

36 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
achuma
achuma
503 posts

Re: Radioactive Records: the enemy?
Jun 06, 2006, 03:05
Also see the comments about Radioactive in the liner notes to the official Bona Fide label CD reissue of George Brigman's 'Jungle Rot', which was bootlegged by Radioactive. The guy who runs Radioactive sounds like he doesn't give a shit about the musicians or the people who own the rights to these things.
I myself have mixed feelings about all this. I agree with all of the anti points, but at the same time, like krautymckraut said, they have put out lots of great albums that may never have seen the light of day as legit reissues, and I am grateful for the chance to hear some of those things.
For example, 'Momento' by Australian group Bakery is one of the rarest Australian records, and even most of the hardcore collectors I know here in Australia have never even seen a copy. It's also one of the best Australian progressive albums ever, and if it weren't for the Radioactive version, which was one of their first releases, I may never have got a chance to hear it. If I ever did come across a copy on vinyl I probably would have to pay so much money that I simply couldn't afford it.
Incidentally, it was from doing a web search for this album that I first discovered Radioactive, back before they had actually put anything out, because they listed plans to do this album. I e-mailed the guy to say "hey, I know this is a bootleg (because I knew that according to the guys at Vicious Sloth Collectables, the master tapes and reissue licensing were unobtainable), but thanks for putting it out, I've been after this for years", but he never replied.
Anyway... of the stuff I'm interested in, I try to buy only the Radioactive titles that seem unlikely to be legitimatelty reissued, and for anything else, I'll go for a legit reissue every time, as with 'Jungle Rot' and the Concrete Rubber Band album. I do feel a bit guilty about buying Radioactive titles at all, though! But, folks like me find it hard to control their music cravings.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index