The Winkies

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
BUBBLEHEAD
BUBBLEHEAD
982 posts

The Winkies
Feb 13, 2005, 13:13
I know Eno briefly joined and gigged with them c.75? until he suffered a collapsed lung. I vaguely remember a version of 'Baby's on Fire' but don't know if it was off an LP ( possibly with a crotch close-up of a guy wearing swimming trunks on the cover / could be a mistaken name and cover association on my part though ) or maybe a Peel session or was it (most likely) a figment of my imagination ?
Does anyone know who was in the band / if any recordings are currently available or if they were fab or crap anyway ?
Thanx.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Re: The Winkies
Feb 13, 2005, 14:12
Brian Turrington who played Bass Guitar on some of Eno's albums was also in The Winkies.
Don't know any other members.
Was it a red pair of trunks/briefs on their album cover ?
It seemed a bit outrageous at the time.
A friend of mine had the album, but I can't remember any of it!
Cock-a-Doodle
803 posts

Feb 13, 2005, 15:48
There is a semi-legit cd, credited to Eno, called 'Dali's Car', which includes Top Gear tracks and live recordings. Never heard it, but it includes stuff off his solo lp's, wih backing by the Winkies.

I also remember seeing a live bootleg LP from around the mid-70's - but i never bought it, tho wish i had.

Just found this.......
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:gq6gtr7qkl2x
The Seth Man
1242 posts

Feb 13, 2005, 15:50
BUBBLEHEAD,

You're right, in thinking "Baby's On Fire" was off a BBC session, as The Winkies did one with Eno in early 1974

Unfortunately, neither "Baby's On Fire" nor Eno appeared on The Winkies' sole album

Personnel for that BBC sesh alongside Eno:
Philip Rambow (gtr)
Guy Humphries (gtr)
Brian Turrington (bs)
Mike Desmarais: (drms)
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Feb 13, 2005, 16:13
The first 2 tracks could be sessions, the other 4 are definitely live.

The sound quality differs radically between the live tracks ... The Fat Lady & Third Uncle sound like a ropey old audience recording ... alegedy from Top Gear/BBC Radio London 26/2/74
Baby's On Fire is listed as being from the same recording, but is clearly actually from the same live set as I'll Come Running (as they run into each other) ... listed as Eno & 801 at Reading 26/08/76

The discrepancies between the content and the listings, plus the poor quality of Fat Lady and Third Uncle lead me to suspect that it's probably a bootleg. 6 tracks, nicely packaged, but not worth spending very much on!
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2609 posts

Feb 13, 2005, 18:21
You're right about the cover - one of Hipgnosis' lesser efforts methinks.

I have a track by them called 'Davey's Blowtorch' on the 'Naughty Rhythms - The Best Of Pub Rock' comp that came out a few years back. It's an okay, standard R&B boogie sounding much like the Steve Gibbons Band did - not very distinctive, but catchy enough. I note that the track was produced by the terminal genius/nutter that was Guy Stevens.

I also know that they begat Phil Rambow who tried, unsuccessfully, to ride the new wave wagon as a low-budget Nils Lofgren soundalike. He was, as I recall, quite mediocre.

The Brinsleys showed 'em all up.
Clark Gwent
68 posts

Feb 13, 2005, 18:36
"Review by David Ross Smith
Dali's Car, not to be confused with the 1984 Mick Karn/Peter Murphy project of the same name"

What a fuckin ponce. IS NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE CAPTAIN! As any fule kno.
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Feb 13, 2005, 19:42
There was something in "Tapestry of Delights" about them recording two unreleased albums before their first came out. btw the defunct Borderline Books sites for Tapestry, Fuzz Acid and Flowers and so on have been helpfully reconstructed by someone:

http://www.soybomb.com/BorderlineBooks/

So you can read it for yourself.

Does anyone know if the stuff on those Eno/Fripp "Music for Fans" bootlegs from the 70s has been reissued officially? There was some good radio material on those, no Winkies though as far as I remember.
Cock-a-Doodle
803 posts

Feb 14, 2005, 01:24
Just in case anyone is interested......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1572&item=4073350337&rd=1
BUBBLEHEAD
BUBBLEHEAD
982 posts

Feb 14, 2005, 08:16
Thanks for the info everyone. I'll look out for the Dali's Car thang. JT regarding the cover, I reckon you're right, reddish brown springs to mind when I try to picture the trunks.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index