Pages: 28 – [ Previous | 123 24 25 26 27 28 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 02, 2015, 07:31
Re: Led Zep kick ass
Aug 02, 2015, 07:28
Their music is very very hard to be objective about. I also picked up Coda and Presence on Friday. I haven't re-bought ITTOD this time. I remember seeing Plant do In The Evening at the Marquee in 87 (maybe 88) and it nearly taking my head off. The studio version has sounded distinctly weedy ever since. And yes both these reissues sound utterly magnificent in this new and expanded form. I would recommend them to anyone even remotely interested in what can be done with drums and the electric guitar.

I am well aware how much of my time spent exploring new / unheard music is an endless and mostly fruitless quest to re-experience something close to that first hit of Ziggy or Fragile or Berlin or Houses of the Holy or Marquee Moon or 1969 Live or Coltrane Live In Paris or Kind Of Blue or Y or White Riot or Nippon Soul or Mahler 5 or Firebird Suite or or Al Green's Greatest Hits or Motown Story or TagoMago or Tristan or Callas' Operatic Arias or whatever it was that stopped my in my tracks when school seemed to go on for ever and pretty much all I wanted to do was listen to records.

Zeppelin are of course a huge part of that feeling of the world simultaneously becoming so much larger through the reach of the music and also much much smaller and simpler. Buying Houses of the Holy in the summer of 74 was literally like joining a cult.

That said I have friends born three four years later than me for whom all baby boomer music (as they would term it) is literally worthless, compromised, cynical, incorrect, empty headed shit. They grew up with very different record collections and probably peaked right at that time where the music press fractured into genres and rock / metal got hived off into a ghetto. When indie had ossified into a style or a marketing gimmick not a way of doing business. The people I am thinking of didn't (and still don't) look back much pre 76 unless to Brian Wilson or girl groups or Roy Orbison or freak curiosities like Joe Meek. People who in their 30s would seem to enjoy an awful lot of culture "ironically" and who would almost literally wet themselves over say a new Magnetic Fields album and I would try and understand the appeal with total incomprehension.

Clearly this isn't about fallacies of being right or wrong about music but still I have been thinking a lot about that short period between Woodstock and Where Were You, why it produced what it did, why it continues to matter so much and why it casts such a long shadow. When I play Presence it all seems very simple.
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Aug 02, 2015, 12:30
There is no way i could ever be bothered to try and describe my life's experiance with Led Zeppelin...
Other than to say,
If you have to ask....
You would'nt understand.
Led Zep II and Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon were my first 2 albums that i ever bought myself.{circa summer '74}
Still have both copies too.
The Zep album saw a shitload of use cleaning out the seeds back in the 70's too.
Man oh man.
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Aug 02, 2015, 15:35
I had quite forgot how wonderfully academic these old threads were. Like university professors chatting in the staff tea room.
1001realapes
1001realapes
2388 posts

Aug 03, 2015, 02:41
Was on a kick a bit ago and did some tweaking ,
much improved imho

Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy (slightly tweaked)

The Song Remains the Same
Over the Hills and Far Away
Dancing Days
Rain song
Houses of the Holy
The Rover
No Quarter
The Ocean

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti (1974 tracks)

Custard Pie
In My Time Of Dying
Trampled Underfoot
Kashmir
In The Light
Ten Years Gone
The Wanton Song
Sick Again

Led Zeppelin - Coda Remade

Baby Come On Home
Travelling Riverside Blues
White Summer / Black Mountain Side
We're Gonna Groove
Poor Tom
Bron-Yr-Aur
Hey Hey What Can I Do
Night Flight
Boogie with Stu
Down By The Seaside
Black Country Woman
thispoison
thispoison
253 posts

Aug 04, 2015, 03:09
Zep could be the best group in the history of Rock (possibly), but I could never ever listen to anything featuring Robert Plant. Leaving aside their statutory raping of underage girls (des-fucking-picable, yeah yeah they were ALL at it back then, but even so, I've read "Hammer Of The Gods" and their behaviour makes me want to puke), I just wish they'd got Terry Reid (or anyone else) on vox instead.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Edited Aug 04, 2015, 13:34
Aug 04, 2015, 13:21
The Seth Man wrote:
The "Presence" and "Coda" Super Deluxe Box Sets arrived yesterday and:

The Zeppelin has landed...Square on my head.

The companion disc of "Coda" is chock full of surprises, "Presence" sounds even better than it always did and I've read both hardcover books twice.

I drove in the sunshine cranking "Heartbreaker"/"Whole Lotta Love" and for a period of time, all life became one sunny, rockin', rollin' moment of pure joy where everything and nothing mattered at the same time.

My musical G-spot is currently a 12" x 12" rubber trampoline with Led Zeppelin bouncing harder and higher with every hour.

I don't listen to Led Zeppelin once in a blue moon, but I did last night when there was an actual one and it fucking ROCKED. Some magical sauvignon blanc aided and abetted cojoining with my Muse as it levitated, elevated and elated me like the crazy Motherfucker I am / right on for the real heads / And then I realised several things:

The sacred landscape IS
The origin of the world IS
The Muse.

The Source of all Muse-ic.
And love.

If god is love and love is blind, then Stevie Wonder must be god.

But if love is communication, then all art is love because it communicates...but only to those with an open heart, mind and soul.

And you gotta be tight -- but just as loose. Be all opposing principles of the Uni-Verse and never lose your centre.

I always return to this quote in the beginning of the Ritchie Yorke book on Zeppelin because it rings truer with each passing year. I think Led Zeppelin were:

"...dedicated to the notion that this music of ours can still be just like it used to be if we try to forget the horseshit and the hype and the hysteria and simply dig it for what it was.

And to sensitvity and serenity,
wherever they may be found..."

Led Zeppelin are occupying my larger mind in the biggest way imaginable and if their music was a woman? Forget about it -- I would kiss all five of her zones with every inch of my love, with love and pure gratitude.

Zep rant over. Over to you, Moon Cat, Morfe, HI DEN...

Ha, brilliant. And a brilliant thread. Hadn't seen it before.

I love Led Zeppelin.

Edit : Saying "I love Led Zeppelin" sounds trite.
They touch upon something between layers of existence. Glimpses of the truth, light, something usually hidden, it feels magical but i'm convinced it's just the revealing of the true nature of things. These words are inadequate and the way I feel is inexplicable.
But I do love Led Zeppelin.
The Seth Man
1242 posts

Aug 05, 2015, 04:14
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((applause)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Ian, the last sentence of your illuminated post brought tears to my eyes.
The Seth Man
1242 posts

Aug 05, 2015, 04:25
Evergreen Dazed,

Saying you love anything (esp. Led Zeppelin) can never be trite.

Your post reminded me of the Prophet Morfe Lux's immortal words on the "The Song Song remains The Same" version of "Since I've Been Loving You":

"...fills the lofty night with breath-ey glass-like sparklesound."

It could be applied to so many other songs...and things. And when you wrote:

"They touch upon something between layers of existence. Glimpses of the truth, light, something usually hidden, it feels magical but i'm convinced it's just the revealing of the true nature of things. These words are inadequate and the way I feel is inexplicable.
But I do love Led Zeppelin."

...I think you hit on something SO true, SO SIMPLE and all encompassing about this place we inhabit, what we experience, and what we hold dearest that for the second time, tears came to my eyes...

Guys, you're killing me here..!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Aug 05, 2015, 08:54
The Seth Man wrote:
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((applause)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Ian, the last sentence of your illuminated post brought tears to my eyes.

Prompted by an inspired post. Uniquely among bands of their era every single LZ album has a killer intro that drags you into their sound world. It was always love at first riff for me.
Piquiod
Piquiod
525 posts

Aug 05, 2015, 18:30
I love Zeppelin to my core. From the moment I heard Kashmir when I was 15, I was hooked...that moment started a lifelong passion for their music, and for the music that inspired them.
It took me on a great journey into the blues, and introduced me to the Wolf, and Willie Dixon, and Joni Mitchel and eastern music (which the Beatles helped draw me towards).
I dove deep into the live recordings and my pulse always quickened when I heard about a new sound board recording, or a liberated un-released show.
For me, Zeppelin was always the std by which others were measured (for good or bad).
they were aces in the studio making everything sound massive.
The quality of the performances in the studio was top notch, and Jimmy's production skills were amazing...Everything they recorded sounded important, and the passion never seemed to wane as they changed from one style to another.
They were type cast as cock rock, but fans know they have the "light & shade" going on, blending rock into blues, folk, country, funk, & prog. they made interesting music to listen to, and it took you on a journey...these were not "mere" songs...they were epics.

I have nearly every live bootleg that has been released.
they always played with full force, and always had humor in the background...they were cocky, but had the talent and songs to back it up.

I also have all avail outtakes that show the songs development in the studio, and I cherish every note of these.

the re-issue series has been a great achievement, tho' I had hopes for more rarities vs rough mixes of existing songs, but...that's my issue to deal with.

ROBERT....Robert as a solo artist has not failed to keep me entertained (but, truth be told, I cannot stand a note his Shaken-n-Stirred cd...I hate it).
He has been 100% true to his musical vision, and his pursuits have made his live shows very engaging. Boredom must be avoided and Robert does that by changing up the arrangements of his songs, and I LOVE that he does that. Stay home and listen to the cd if that's all you want to hear...I love the change ups and the stretching out...that was part of the Zeppelin ethic IMO. In just the last 8 years he's put out music ranging from Americana country & bluesgrass to spacey rock jams to his latest which is a variety of styles...always entertaining and never the same...it's evolution. Moving forward.
Robert introduced me to Tinarwien, the great Mali-blues band, and I forever indebted to him for that, and everything else.

I don't want a Zep reunion...I very happy with the way things and where they seem to be going.
Pages: 28 – [ Previous | 123 24 25 26 27 28 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index