Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Re: That's that then....
Jul 08, 2018, 14:16
Vybik Jon wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
No country I can think of has ever made a constitutional change on a simple referendum majority - it's insane.

Does the recent Irish referendum result about pregnancy termination count?

EDIT: Sorry, Nigel. This has nothing to do with, or add to, the thread subject. I just wondered if this is an example of what you suggested. No sarcasm intended.

You're quite right, although the constitutional situation in Eire is very different to the UK, as the constitution can *only* be amended by means of a referendum there:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amendments_to_the_Constitution_of_Ireland
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 08, 2018, 14:58
My excuse is that I hadn't thought of that! Also, as SC says, referendums ARE constitutional in Ireland. And theirs was won by a two thirds majority anyway.

If only Cameron had specified that as the level needed all this would be history and his Brexit wing would have been seen off - as they now have been - without dragging the rest of us out of Europe.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Jul 08, 2018, 23:43
"That's that then..."

It certainly is for David Davis, one of the most incompetent ministers ever to have served.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Jul 09, 2018, 00:02
STRONG AND STABLE!!! STRONG... AND... STABLE... :D

Sorry - I get this going round my head in a Dalek's voice whenever the Tories fuck something else up. So yeah - almost continually. :D

G x
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Jul 09, 2018, 00:14
Ha, yep. Their vision is certainly impaired.

Pretty sure Davis going is the trigger for the leadership challenge to replace May with a hard brexiteer.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 09, 2018, 08:07
Hard to see how that can happen when it has been demonstrated most of the Cabinet and arguably most of the country want a soft Brexit or less.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Jul 09, 2018, 15:26
And so it goes on...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44770847

STRONG... AND.... STABLE!!! :D

G x
nigelswift
8112 posts

Truth in two tweets...
Jul 11, 2018, 09:06
Priti Patel MP
This is no longer an argument about whether Brexit was a good idea but is about democracy & standing by the democratic decision made by the people. The public want to know that their political leaders will stay true to the promise made to them that Brexit means Brexit.

Alastair Campbell
In other words it is an unpolishable turd, there is nothing we can do to stop it being a disaster, but because we lied about how great it would be we are going to have to live with it
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index