Another Election

Pages: 37 – [ Previous | 116 17 18 19 20 21 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Re: Another Election
May 02, 2017, 19:16
No, I don't think she is home secretary material, but that doesn't mean I disagree with the policy even if she did express it inarticulately.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

May 02, 2017, 19:53
thesweetcheat wrote:
No, I don't think she is home secretary material, but that doesn't mean I disagree with the policy even if she did express it inarticulately.

tsc, she didn’t just ‘express it inarticulately’ she was excruciatingly muddled and completely and utterly out of her depth. Listen to the interview again here - http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/nick-ferrari/diane-abbotts-agonising-interview-over-policy-cost/ If it was a politician from another party bumbling away like that Labour supporters would be having a field day with it. Instead of fessing up and saying ‘I completely screwed up’ both Abbott and Corbyn are trying to gloss over the whole thing using words like ‘misspoke’ – what the feck’s that supposed to mean!

If you haven't watched the interview with Abbott on today’s Politics Show here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39775693 you should.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

May 02, 2017, 20:25
Thanks, I've seen it, just as I saw May carcrash interview with Tory stooge Marr on Sunday and David Davies' appallingly inept performance in front of the select committee.

But I'm still judging them by their policies not whether they are polished performers. I'd still vote for a party who are pledging to restore lost services than one led by a women who can't understand that it's wrong that nurses working full time have to resort to foodbanks to eat.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Re: Hate is a cul-de-sac
May 02, 2017, 21:08
tjj wrote:
As an aside - I recently read 'Bone Clocks' by David Mitchell - the final chapter is set in 2043 and is the most disturbing part of the novel in its prescience (recommended).

Thanks for the comments, I've just looked this up and it looks up my street, many thanks for the recommendation.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

May 02, 2017, 21:23
Much to agree with there, people would perhaps be more likely to protest if they had reliable sources of information beyond the hideously right-biased media (and I include the BBC with that). I think it would help if the deluded middle classes stopped siding with the rich, and accepted the fact that they are being shafted just the same - I'd recommend a read of The Road To Wigan Pier on this point, as nothing much has changed.

I also agree that we need a different system and would love to see proportional representative replace first past the post, which only serves to perpetuate the useless short-termist approach to governance and politics as conflict. Countries with PR also have generally higher percentages of female politicians, something the UK falls very short on (barely scraping 30%) but which I think would help make Parliament more co-operative and less adversarial, as women politicians tend to be more willing to work across party lines than their male counterparts.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited May 03, 2017, 00:02
Re: Diane Abbott
May 02, 2017, 22:45
Littlestone wrote:

I've listened to that interview and yes it is painful. She said elsewhere that she had previously done six interviews before doing that one and she just sounded like someone whose head was pounding. I'm not making excuses, someone in the political public eye can't afford such a slip-up - especially her. For all sorts of obvious reasons.

As the first black woman to be elected to British Parliament she does deserve some respect in my opinion. She is actually a clever and able woman - albeit having an off day on the above mentioned occasion.
http://www.dianeabbott.org.uk/about.aspx
moss
moss
2897 posts

May 03, 2017, 10:15
Well I read the Road to Wigan Pier many, many years ago. There was E.P. Thompson - The making of The English Working Class, and Massingham - Prophecy of Famine. Social history books that applied to their times, today Naomi Klein - This Changes Everything and Paul Mason - Post Capitalism and then there is Owen Jones on - The Establishment. Gosh that Mason is difficult to read!
The long view of history, says that it will all change, chaos is the best arbiter of that, one of the problems stem from the fact that there are just too many of us humans around, though others would argue against it. I am with David Attenborough on this. Until you can stop people from aspiring to better cars, bigger houses, and maybe larger capital from their houses they have invested in then perhaps it will be fairer. And here I quote Wendell Berry

"In keeping with our unrestrained consumptiveness, the commonly accepted accepted basis of our present economony is the fantastical possibility growth, limitless wants, limitless wealth, limitless natural resouces, limitless energy and limitless debt. The world ending fire of industrial fundamentalism may already be burning"....

Anyone here for 'de-growth?'
Ethericat
42 posts

Edited May 03, 2017, 11:13
May 03, 2017, 10:57
moss wrote:

Anyone here for 'de-growth?'

Considering it's the most vital and urgent issue facing us aside from possible impending global war, you can count me in. It's the endangered elephant in the room that dares challenge the vested economic interests of the neo lib/con political-corporate elite. Large sections of the public prefer a head in the sand approach, or a sympathetic 'what-can-you-do-eh?'shrug, and a media that largely toes the general line or prevaricates. There is no impartiality. FUCK IMPARTIALITY. The satanic blatherings of the globalist gimps deserve no quarter on this. Modern humanity has been seduced by mass consumerism, and the me first culture of entitlement. Left/Right both utterly shameless and in on the act. Sock puppets of the elite. If we don't wise up devastation will force it on us, and you know what the irony is? These same corporations will smell where the new money is, some already are - ecology, but it may well be too late. In the global insanity of Kali Yuga, I'm still genuinely convinced that humanity and the planet will turn the corner, but the journey to that point will be catastrophic.

OM NAMAH SHIVAYA

Here's Jane Goodall:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6JLvIxdbjQ
Ethericat
42 posts

May 03, 2017, 11:25
A lot of her sentences these days fall along the deranged lines of 'all brexit voters are horrible racists and nazis', and when challenged, she visibly deflates into a corner of sulk with no adequate intelligent response.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Buddha’s birthday
May 03, 2017, 12:06
Bump

Littlestone wrote:
Thanks Ethericat.

For those interested it’s the Buddha’s birthday next Wednesday (this year it falls on the 3 May) though some countries celebrate the occasion on other dates. “In Nepal, the birth-country of Buddha, it is celebrated on the full moon day of the Vaisakha month of the Buddhist calendar. In Theravada countries following the Buddhist calendar, it falls on a full moon Uposatha day, typically in the 5th or 6th lunar month. In China and Korea, it is celebrated on the eighth day of the fourth month in the Chinese lunar calendar. The date varies from year to year in the Western Gregorian calendar, but usually falls in April or May. In leap years it may be celebrated in June.” (Wiki).

Om mani padme hum.
Pages: 37 – [ Previous | 116 17 18 19 20 21 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index