Register
U-Know! Forum »
More Bono bashing (never enough IMO)

Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Re: More Bono bashing (never enough IMO)
Oct 14, 2010, 10:04
He must have pulled his trousers up :)
Loopy Lumbago
Loopy Lumbago
95 posts

Oct 14, 2010, 10:04
I've been wondering a bit about that "cool-o-meter" you've been referring to.
Is it something that really exists or is it just a convenient invention.
I mean, like "the leftist hive mind"; a way of making an argument without actually having one?
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Oct 14, 2010, 10:08
hahahaha!
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Oct 14, 2010, 10:13
I'm surprised the clouds aren't actually on strike, yet! But you just wait...
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Oct 14, 2010, 10:22
Post Of The Week!
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Oct 14, 2010, 10:23
LOL!! Ha ha ha!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Oct 14, 2010, 10:27
The Sea Cat wrote:
Of course Ian, but if you are a multi millionaire trying to raise awareness/funds whilst hanging out with oligarchs and world leaders, you should lead by example and be an exception. He can afford it, and I would be the first to applaud him for it. Double standards, I'm afraid.

This is a classic piece of press-release led journalism. Some very minor pressure group that no one seems to have heard of before this article / five-minute protest (or after it for that matter) pumps out an attention grabbing news story about how their pet causes might be being effected by the behaviour of their most famous fellow countryman. Over-worked and under-staffed broadsheet hack grabs press release and runs with it throwing n a couple of quotes for good measure. Hey presto, headlines! News, of a sort.

Even if you think there is a direct link between this tax issue and the DDCI (which I can't see myself) I would wager that there isn't anyone in Irland volunteering to pay more tax than the statutes say they have to pay. Not one.

If the tax laws allow U2 to legally save money then change the laws but I really don't expect people who are raised to wear leather trousers and be the embodiment of self-regard and solipsism to walk around in a hair shirt when they are off duty. The fact that people who we, as a culture, encourage to live that life do anything at all for anyone else is a miracle of sorts. If you want to beat Bono up then beat him up for having written nothing of note for 20 years. That's fine. Surely the double standard is to expect the mega-successful to be any more altruisitic than the rank and file of the population?

As for the Guardian they should know better than take the bait.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 14, 2010, 10:48
Oct 14, 2010, 10:30
Loopy Lumbago wrote:
I've been wondering a bit about that "cool-o-meter" you've been referring to.
Is it something that really exists or is it just a convenient invention.
I mean, like "the leftist hive mind"; a way of making an argument without actually having one?

Well a moral double standard based on whether or not you like someone's art is itself evidence of a cool-o-meter.

You want to believe that Bono is a bad man and that musicians are generally sweet innocents being exploited by middle men then you are entitled to your opinion. The reality is much more complex than that. For every musician who has been ripped off there is another who is a ruthless motherfucker. What they produce as artists is irrelevant. Some of the badest men and women make the best and most challenging art. Some of the sweetest musicians make horrible exploititive pap. Not many of either sort concern themselves much with the plight of others. Solipsism often being a large part of the artistic personality and perfectly human.

I have been meaning to reply to your "I believe there are alternatives to blindly succumbing to the rules and dynamics of capitalism" thing. I would like to know what those alternatives are.

I have spent the largest part of my career chasing down money for musicians and song writers and from what I see Rock n Roll is headed back to its Blues and Jazz roots as a music of poverty. The alternative economy for the vast majorty of practising musicians and composers is that music will never be much more than an expensive hobby. It's an alternative like homelessness is an alternative to renting and the property ladder.
Loopy Lumbago
Loopy Lumbago
95 posts

Oct 14, 2010, 11:33
No, Mr B, I don't hate Bono at all.
To me he's a face and a name that pops up in the celebrity news from time to time along Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan.
And how he uses his money; personally I couldn't care less.
And I'm well aware you can find ruthless motherfuckers among musicians as in any other group. But I can't really see that being a ruthless motherfucker should give anyone carte blanche to exploit said motherfucker.

Quote: "Well a moral double standard based on whether or not you like someone's art is itself evidence of a cool-o-meter."

I see you're eagerly maintaining the claim that people here criticise Bonos economical dispositions and idealism/lack of idealism solely because they hate his music.
Seems to me that instead of claiming you can read peoples mind, this "cool-o-meter" pops up.
Imo you've delivered some good arguments against the criticism of said gentleman's idealism, and that's why I don't understand why this "cool-o-meter" argument should be necessary.
I'm far from being perfect myself, but I've really begun to wonder about some of the "debating techniques" being used on our beloved HH.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Oct 14, 2010, 11:44
I completely respect your opinion Ian, but from my viewpoint, his consistent moralising and hectoring isn't accurately reflected in his financial arrangements. It's all rather convenient. Anyway, hopefully we'll just agree to disagree.
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index