Register
U-Know! Forum »
More Bono bashing (never enough IMO)

Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Re: More Bono bashing (never enough IMO)
Oct 14, 2010, 11:48
Loopy Lumbago wrote:
No, Mr B, I don't hate Bono at all.
To me he's a face and a name that pops up in the celebrity news from time to time along Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan.
And how he uses his money; personally I couldn't care less.
And I'm well aware you can find ruthless motherfuckers among musicians as in any other group. But I can't really see that being a ruthless motherfucker should give anyone carte blanche to exploit said motherfucker.

Quote: "Well a moral double standard based on whether or not you like someone's art is itself evidence of a cool-o-meter."

I see you're eagerly maintaining the claim that people here criticise Bonos economical dispositions and idealism/lack of idealism solely because they hate his music.
Seems to me that instead of claiming you can read peoples mind, this "cool-o-meter" pops up.
Imo you've delivered some good arguments against the criticism of said gentleman's idealism, and that's why I don't understand why this "cool-o-meter" argument should be necessary.
I'm far from being perfect myself, but I've really begun to wonder about some of the "debating techniques" being used on our beloved HH.

Fair enough. I see it in operation (the cool-o-meter). Others wont. Both opinions come from a fairly fixed standpoint and I am well aware that mine comes with its own set of fairly hard wired prejudices. I am not claiming to read people's minds I am responding to observable trends in opinions that shelter some artists from criticism for their greedheaded bahaviour and exposes others.

Unsung is basically a forum for unpaid rock criticism and the sharing of enthusiasms. All forms of art criticism are open to the vagaries of fashion and rock criticism (paid or unpaid) does suffer from some hard-wired notions of its own. The Macca bad - Lennon good thing. The Floyd with Syd good - Floyd without Syd bad thing. There are dozens of these ideas that get embedded through repetition. None of them started here of course but the Bono is **** thing is one of those that is now just part of the currency.
Loopy Lumbago
Loopy Lumbago
95 posts

Oct 14, 2010, 12:33
Some quick editing going on here I see. ;o)

Quote: "I have been meaning to reply to your "I believe there are alternatives to blindly succumbing to the rules and dynamics of capitalism" thing. I would like to know what those alternatives are."

From an interwiew with Steve Albini, linked to by anonyqkiernan on Unsung:

"You wrote an article in the early 1990s called "The Problem With Music" that explored parasitism of the music industry and the economic issues with the top-down model—Does that model even exist anymore, in this new era of digital downloads, iTunes, Pitchfork, and viral trends where bands have to shamelessly promote themselves online to get ahead?
This is a terrific time to be in a band. Every band has access to the entire world by default. I know quite a few bands that have been able to establish themselves internationally based on nothing other their web presence. It's an incredible tool. It's also revived the careers of a lot of bands that came before the Internet era and never had enough penetration to find their natural audience. But because the music survived, some people were interested in disseminating it for no other reason than because they like it. People put stuff on YouTube or torrent clients or whatever, not because they're going to make money off of it, which is the only reason the mainstream industry would do something, but because they think it's good. It's a like a worldwide mix tape. An awful lot of bands that had no audience in their first incarnation were able to revive their careers and have a second lap. It's so exceedingly rare that somebody gets more than one bite at an apple like that. I think it's fantastic."

http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-q/2010/09/steve-albini.html

Quote: "I have spent the largest part of my career chasing down money for musicians and song writers and from what I see Rock n Roll is headed back to its Blues and Jazz roots as a music of poverty. The alternative economy for the vast majority of practising musicians and composers is that music will never be much more than an expensive hobby. It's an alternative like homelessness is an alternative to renting and the property ladder."

Yes this is what the record industry has been claiming ad nauseam year after year.
A recent study is perhaps telling a different story:

http://torrentfreak.com/artists-make-more-money-in-file-sharing-age-than-before-100914/

What seems absurd to me is that the record industry refuses to obey one of the basic laws of capitalism: Adjust to the market.

As The Bard wrote:

You'd better start swimming
or you'll sink like a stone
for the times
they are a-changing.
Loopy Lumbago
Loopy Lumbago
95 posts

Oct 14, 2010, 12:36
Quote: "I am not claiming to read people's minds I am responding to observable trends in opinions that shelter some artists from criticism for their greedheaded bahaviour and exposes others."

Awwright, I missed that point.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: More Bono bashing (never enough IMO) - final word from me!
Oct 14, 2010, 13:01
The Sea Cat wrote:
Well, in my view a third is only a third. The full amount is the point here. The fact that he/they threatened to leave Eire if this was rectified was disgraceful egotism and double standards in my opinion. As for U2 behaving like any other corporation, I think that speaks volumes in itself, especially from a self appointed moral pulpit. As a resident of Ireland, he is liable for personal income tax.

Yes, but the point remains that the vast majority of his income is derived outside Ireland (which is why U2 are permitted to shift some of their holdings offshore). As for "moral pulpit". He takes to one of those -- often in a very irritating manner -- when engaged in his philanthropic work, but U2 is not a philanthropic organisation. It's not even just a band anymore; it's a company in the music business.

And personally, I despair when I hear people demand that companies act more ethically. Because it displays a fundamental failure to understand the capitalist system dominating our planet. And so long as that misunderstanding is widespread (and it is), it near-guarantees nothing will change.

Commercial organisations -- whether that's U2's holding company, an oil company or a company that makes children's toys -- are institutions built to a "for-profit" template. They are guided by legal rules and cultural mores that are pretty inflexible. So long as we expect companies to act as though they are not companies, we are waiting for a dawn that will never break. It's as pointless as expecting oil companies to voluntarily move "beyond" petroleum.

What needs to happen is the rules need to be rewritten. The cultural expectations of "companies" should change radically so that they have a legal obligation to act ethically first; while the profit-motive is relegated to a footnote. It's a far bigger change than expecting companies to act a bit more nicely (which is what we demand of U2 when we insist they pay tax in Ireland), but it's also the only one that'll make a real difference.

Other cultures are structured that way... with the needs of society -- and the world of which it is part -- being the primary aim of action, with personal enrichment ignored, or even frowned upon.

But that's not what we've got, sadly. We structure things differently. So U2 just does what every other company in that position is doing (When I worked in the USA, part of my taxes were paid there. Same as when I worked in Germany and elsewhere; I didn't have any choice in that matter -- the company I was working for handled all that stuff, obviously. Every company that can avail of offshore tax rules, will do so.)

So I just can't get mad at Bono; however insufferable he may come across in interviews; because yes, in the commercial arena he's following corrupt rules, like everyone else. But his activity outside the commercial arena goes above and beyond almost everyone else (not just in real terms, but in proportional terms).

Which is why I find it weird that other artists who have reached similar commercial levels don't come in for anything like the criticism that Bono does, despite being involved in little or no philanthropic work. I'm not saying they should be -- I could certainly do more, so I'm not one to preach -- but it's strange that the people who do get involved in trying to help others get the most crap.

Do they make us feel guilty at an unconscious level? Or is it that we're willing to actively minimise their efforts and try to trivialise them, just because we find them irritating on the telly?
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Oct 14, 2010, 13:22
Oct 14, 2010, 13:21
grufty jim wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
Well, in my view a third is only a third. The full amount is the point here. The fact that he/they threatened to leave Eire if this was rectified was disgraceful egotism and double standards in my opinion. As for U2 behaving like any other corporation, I think that speaks volumes in itself, especially from a self appointed moral pulpit. As a resident of Ireland, he is liable for personal income tax.

Yes, but the point remains that the vast majority of his income is derived outside Ireland (which is why U2 are permitted to shift some of their holdings offshore). As for "moral pulpit". He takes to one of those -- often in a very irritating manner -- when engaged in his philanthropic work, but U2 is not a philanthropic organisation. It's not even just a band anymore; it's a company in the music business.

And personally, I despair when I hear people demand that companies act more ethically. Because it displays a fundamental failure to understand the capitalist system dominating our planet. And so long as that misunderstanding is widespread (and it is), it near-guarantees nothing will change.

Commercial organisations -- whether that's U2's holding company, an oil company or a company that makes children's toys -- are institutions built to a "for-profit" template. They are guided by legal rules and cultural mores that are pretty inflexible. So long as we expect companies to act as though they are not companies, we are waiting for a dawn that will never break. It's as pointless as expecting oil companies to voluntarily move "beyond" petroleum.

What needs to happen is the rules need to be rewritten. The cultural expectations of "companies" should change radically so that they have a legal obligation to act ethically first; while the profit-motive is relegated to a footnote. It's a far bigger change than expecting companies to act a bit more nicely (which is what we demand of U2 when we insist they pay tax in Ireland), but it's also the only one that'll make a real difference.

Other cultures are structured that way... with the needs of society -- and the world of which it is part -- being the primary aim of action, with personal enrichment ignored, or even frowned upon.

But that's not what we've got, sadly. We structure things differently. So U2 just does what every other company in that position is doing (When I worked in the USA, part of my taxes were paid there. Same as when I worked in Germany and elsewhere; I didn't have any choice in that matter -- the company I was working for handled all that stuff, obviously. Every company that can avail of offshore tax rules, will do so.)

So I just can't get mad at Bono; however insufferable he may come across in interviews; because yes, in the commercial arena he's following corrupt rules, like everyone else. But his activity outside the commercial arena goes above and beyond almost everyone else (not just in real terms, but in proportional terms).

Which is why I find it weird that other artists who have reached similar commercial levels don't come in for anything like the criticism that Bono does, despite being involved in little or no philanthropic work. I'm not saying they should be -- I could certainly do more, so I'm not one to preach -- but it's strange that the people who do get involved in trying to help others get the most crap.

Do they make us feel guilty at an unconscious level? Or is it that we're willing to actively minimise their efforts and try to trivialise them, just because we find them irritating on the telly?

An excellent post Jim, and I completely agree with you on so many levels.
However, I will always be of the opinion that in many ways he is a hypocrite. I know he does good, but maybe I'm just a naiive romantic idealist in expecting him to lead by example re. the tax issues, his carbon footprint, endosring war criminals by association and his wife's production links with China. I'm just not convinced.
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Edited Oct 14, 2010, 13:40
Oct 14, 2010, 13:36
Cheers Grufty. I understand what One is about, and I know what it 'doesn't do', and there are many 'offshoots'. And I know Bono has even dontaed to the 'one on four' campaign for sex abuse survivors, which to me is a good thing to do indeed.
As I've also said, I don't care how poverty/misery is defeated or whose ego is bolstered so long as it works. Live Aid - what an ego fest - but lives were saved.
If I die and my kid's only choice is left starving behind a malaria net or living at Madonna's, I'll let her take the mantle, believe me, and I think he records are 'crap' (well, 'Into the Groove' is quite good).
But we are talking about this particular issue, and for 'One' to model its charter on Amnesty is a bit strange.
Most countries don't give a flying hoot about aid agencies turning up, they'll allow the work to continue, but try telling them how to exercise their moral authority...
So I don't quite understand how poverty can be 'politicised' in that way.
Again, the Pigler piece speaks volumes.
It's a shame some people have joined this debate just on Bono/Anti-Bono grounds, and even though the thread title suggests that, it was making some very valid points.
x
keith a
9573 posts

Oct 14, 2010, 13:52
sanshee wrote:

It's a shame some people have joined this debate just on Bono/Anti-Bono grounds, and even though the thread title suggests that, it was making some very valid points.

Er, that's what the thread was about.

Bono.

"More Bono bashing" to be precise.

To suggest that people shouldn't have joined this debate on 'Bono/Anti-Bono grounds' is just daft and undermines your previous messages about him.

Unless you're saying that those of us who have defended him have done so because we're fans? Because no-one who is suggesting that he has done some good is coming out as a massive U2 fan. I can only speak personally and say I like some of their records but wouldn't class myself as a fan*.

I was just reacting to what I see as gross unfairness to the guy.

*I prefer Madonna TBH!
keith a
9573 posts

Oct 14, 2010, 13:58
Loopy Lumbago wrote:

As The Bard wrote:

for the times
they are a-changing.

I though Bob Dylan wrote that.

; )
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 14, 2010, 14:43
Oct 14, 2010, 14:00
Loopy Lumbago wrote:
What seems absurd to me is that the record industry refuses to obey one of the basic laws of capitalism: Adjust to the market.

As The Bard wrote:

for the times
they are a-changing.

"The bottom line is that the music industry as a whole is thriving. Record labels may report a dip in their income from record sales, but more money is going to artists at the same time. Is that really such a bad outcome?"

What the Nowegian study fails to show is that with more artists being paid direct for ther recordings of course their GROSS has gone up but they then have to absorb all the costs that were previously borne by the record company. Manufacturing, mechanicals, printing, video, photography, tour support, warehousing, shipping, promotion, marketing, the massive expenses associated with distribution, international development / licensing etc etc.

As for iTunes (now the world's number one music retailer) any artist that, as you put it, started swimming and saw the opportunity early and got themselves signed up directly to Apple actually make more money per unit from an album than they ever would from a cd distirbution deal let alone a license. And yet still net revenues are tumbling.

In the end people will believe what they like though it was funny how quiet the "kill the record industry" crowd were when Ralph went under. Surely it was only the bad guys who were supposed to be hurting? Sadly not.

The Norwegian "study" also supports my key point. This process is forcing musicians into a state of semi-professionalism.

I hope all the people being laid off by the Tories have greater success adjusting to the market in the coming years than having to work two jobs.

You want to know how it is? Make a record. Put it out and support it (with some cash or sweat equity or both) so that the world beyond your immediate peer group has any chance at all of finding out that it exists. Make it your life's work. Not a hobby. Then take your income from that record and any associated activities, deduct your costs and then divide it by the number of hours that were put into it and then see how rosy things are for these mythical thriving musicians in the new world of "free" music. As I say, homlessness is not a practical alternative to a housing problem.
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Edited Oct 14, 2010, 14:17
Oct 14, 2010, 14:11
Yes, the title was about Bono Bashing, and tempting as it is just to get yer teeth into a headline like that, the thread was about Bono's One Charity/Organisation. The initial post linked to a piece about it! I thought you would have looked.
That's why some of the discussion has been about the One Charity/Organisation.
That's also why all of my posts have alluded to said charity/organisation.
Dunno about some of the other stuff that was said.
x
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index