U-Know! Forum »
What is better than Capitalism?

Pages: 18 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
morfe lux
301 posts

Re: moral concerns
Sep 09, 2003, 15:23
I know you didn't, again it was my exclusion of 'one' and inclusion of 'you' that's caused confusion. Royally! My point was that both arguments (as per your posting) are essentially the same, they are just smoke.
morfe lux
301 posts

Re: Capitalism the term
Sep 09, 2003, 15:26
What do you think would be better?
shamanic miner
184 posts

Re: Capitalism the term
Sep 09, 2003, 15:37
"Fiscal Darwinism" (Survival of the richest)
morfe lux
301 posts

PS
Sep 09, 2003, 15:41
Great post :-)

It's obvious (and I agree woth FW) that capitalism is also competition, it's also dependent upon creating a consumer culture, which is in my mind just plain wrong. But there's the rub, I don't actually see a way out apart from putting limits on production, which brings capitalism to it's knees. So what we need is a cultural revolution, the best I se are small reform, where we recycle, and use biodegradeable and renewable materials, but even that is too little, far, far too little. As for the 'free' world we keep hearing from the chimp's mouth... "Freedom, under capitalism, has only one meaning: freedom from the initiation of force by others." It neglects to mention that none of us are free from constant mind-altering doses of advertising, none of us are free to live where we like, it's all tied up in land ownership that goes back to the feudal times. One has to be a virtual slave for a half acre of land, working for someone who owns a . That to me isn't freedom. Oh it's easy to say (as capitalists do!) "well you can work for a place in the country, it's just hard work", well it's NOT just hard work, people with less aptitude for competition and doggedness tend to have to 'make the best of' whatever it is they can afford. And th economy dictates that ALTHOUGH a dustman's (I was a street cleaner many years ago I know what I'm talking about!) job is more important than the Queen's, and without him we would all be dying of diseases, he gets paid a pittance and typically lives in council accomodation, whilst Tarquin Fuckpump's has a stonkingly beauiful, peaceful place in the suburbs where he can invite his backscratchers round. That's competition, the jocks generally win. I ranted. I'm sorry :-(
morfe lux
301 posts

Re: What is better than Capitalism?
Sep 09, 2003, 15:45
That's pretty much my plan, although i want to see the Billion Dollar Project thru, which will mean I can retire and be self sufficient if I reach 90 ;-)

The point is, how much of our lives do we have to work like bastards in order to prove that we can be self sufficient?? We have to slave away until middle age to even afford half an acre of land. And by then we learned hardly anything about self-sufficiency because we're too busy working. The system of capitalism HAS to be designed AGAINST self sufficiency in order to grow. That's one of the reason's I detest it's cynical entirety.
morfe lux
301 posts

The real question is
Sep 09, 2003, 15:48
Who's gonna force people to clean the bog?
morfe lux
301 posts

Re: Technology!
Sep 09, 2003, 15:52
Believe me, by assuming I don't know what technology does, you are making a grave mistake. It's because I DO, and having studied sustainable/renewable energy for a decade or more, I realise the deficit. We use prime rainforest hardwoods to shore up cement mouldings. It doesn't take a technological breakthrough to realise that capitalism does what it can because it can, and the 'environmental' debate is so late in the day because we have our noses to the wheel.
morfe lux
301 posts

The question of liquid cheese
Sep 09, 2003, 16:07
But what about people's freedom to choose? There are 1000's of different types of bread (I know we could bake them ourselves!) and does the People's Milk Board use non-intensive methods? Does it provide no-fat, half-fat and full fat milk? Does it deliver as well as produce? Who funds it's production? Do we need milk, is it one of life's daily necessities or have we adopted it as such in certain of our cultures??

But your idea of free food has set me thinking. All food could be free, unless it was prepared/cooked food. Food grown i the ground, an has done for all time, it's only in the relative last millisecond of our history we have adopted dependency to marketeers and producers.
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

Re: The real question is
Sep 09, 2003, 16:15
initially, the democratically controlled workers state. we'll have people queuing up to give gyles brandreth et al down the bloody sewers!

once the state has withered away, well all realise the necessity and go along with it. if people don't there are many old fashioned 'community punishment' methods that could be used - ep thompson outlines several in his history of the english working-classes. I've forgotten the phrase offhand, but it involves things like playing metallica/debbie gibson full blast outside of their bedroom window and that kind of thing.
morfe lux
301 posts

plus
Sep 09, 2003, 16:19
this keyboard is slower than I type, does the 'state' provide me with a new one, or is there a backlog?
Pages: 18 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index