Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Aberdeenshire »
Possible ancient cairn on Carnferg, Aberdeenshire?

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thelonious
330 posts

Edited Nov 13, 2023, 13:14
Possible ancient cairn on Carnferg, Aberdeenshire?
Nov 13, 2023, 13:10
Hi folks, hope all is well with everyone.

I've been meaning to ask if anyone knew of a possible old cairn at the top of Carnferg, a hill in Aberdeenshire, south of the river Dee near Aboyne (NO 52221 93346)?
https://www.bing.com/maps/?cp=57.027435%7E-2.798624&lvl=14.1&style=s

I visited a few months back for a windy sunset. There's a modern tall pyramid at summit but underneath looks to be the large footprint of a possible ancient cairn?

I can't remember if I have mentioned this before? Maybe Drew has been up to look?

Probably just wishful thinking but there are few old cairns round here. It's not far from Pressendye, Morven etc.

I've posted a short video of the cairn, gives an idea of the footprint. It was a windy day so I didn't video for long!

https://youtu.be/QiNEzOPgQsU?si=zPI_btENd600317e
GLADMAN
950 posts

Re: Possible ancient cairn on Carnferg, Aberdeenshire?
Nov 13, 2023, 13:56
Looking at that video I would say yes....
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Nov 13, 2023, 18:46
GLADMAN wrote:
Looking at that video I would say yes....

Yep, I agree.
thelonious
330 posts

Nov 13, 2023, 19:17
Thanks both, it just has a feeling about it. The hill is very prominent from Deeside. Probably why someone plonked the pyramid cairn there in more recent times.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Nov 20, 2023, 09:54
Yup I have been up and sent stuff to Aberdeenshire Arch (not much hope of a reply there) and more recently to Canmore (just after the lockdown was eased but forgot all about it). Did you park near Glencat? The only thing against, (I think it is prehistoric) is the pile of stones near the trig which perhaps was an but and ben with a scattered enclosure making way for the monument, just like Witches House on top of Mormond Hill at Strichen etc etc. However, like on Pittenderrich, Geallaig, Kerloch, Pressendye, the situation and location is perfect for such a monument.

The site most similar is probably Lord Arthur's Hill

https://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/17234/lord_arthurs_hill.html
thelonious
330 posts

Nov 20, 2023, 14:15
Nice one Drew :-)
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Nov 20, 2023, 14:58
There is another hill with a similar monument, Benaquhallie, I think. Will have to go back and have a look.
thelonious
330 posts

Nov 21, 2023, 06:25
I've been up Benaquhallie a few times. The cairn just south of the top is a modern one (bit like the one on Craiglich, SE of Pressendye). I can't remember any sort of footprint underneath but wasn't looking for one so could have just missed it.
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Jan 24, 2024, 16:51
That looks like the real deal. Well spotted.
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index