Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Six Groundbreaking Female Archaeologists ?

12 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Mar 03, 2020, 23:14
Re: Six Groundbreaking Female Archaeologists ?
Mar 03, 2020, 22:07
moss wrote:
Well they have forgotten Jacquetta Hawkes. Excellent writer on the 'archaeological imagination' and she dug as well.
I would have thought nowadays that there was an equality between male and female archaeologists, whilst the earlier female archaeologists often had to come in on the coat tails of their husbands sadly.

As for Mary Beard being punished for her political views, that is of course an absolute disgrace, she seems to have taken it with her usual pinch of humour.

Thanks for getting the ball rolling on this one Moss.
I've spent the evening reading about the inspirational women mentioned here. Also looking back on my entries for Kilmartin visit back in 2017 as I seem to recall reading an information board relating to Cairnbaan rock art that mentioned a woman (Victorian I think) who undertook a lot of investigations in the area of Scottish rock art - couldn't find anything about her though. Dug out my book by Jean McMann called 'Riddles of the Stone Age' subtitled Rock Carvings of Ancient Europe published in 1980 - she must have been something of a trailblazer but I never see her name mentioned anywhere else.

As a footnote I'm just going to mention Mary Anning and her fossils - not an archaeologist, in fact young and uneducated but another woman who knocked on the door of the male dominated world of science in the 19th century.

Thanks again Moss, Sanctuary, Gladman and thesweetcheat.

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index