Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Six Groundbreaking Female Archaeologists ?

12 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Mar 10, 2020, 18:14
Re: Six Groundbreaking Female Archaeologists ?
Mar 10, 2020, 18:12
tjj wrote:
Dug out my book by Jean McMann called 'Riddles of the Stone Age' subtitled Rock Carvings of Ancient Europe published in 1980 - she must have been something of a trailblazer but I never see her name mentioned anywhere else.

Have only just learnt about Elizabeth Twohig from a FB post made by the Irish Rock Art group. Hope they do not mind me putting it here. Would really love to see her book The Megalithic Art of Western Europe but well out of my price range.

"Dr Elizabeth (née Shee) Twohig is an inspiration to all archaeologists on this International Women's Day. The first woman in Ireland to earn a PhD in archaeology, nearly 40 years later, her 1981 publication 'The megalithic art of Western Europe' remains the only comprehensively illustrated catalogue of the Megalithic art in Europe - it includes discussion which addresses a range of subjects including techniques of carving and rock art as well. Originally from Clonmel in Co. Tipperary, she is also inter alia a mother, former senior lecturer at UCC, a member of the RIA, an accomplished horse rider, linguist, surfer and chair of ‘Waterford Music’. Her contribution to rock art research is significant, the surveying she initiated in the early 2000s in the landscape surrounding the Loughcrew Passage Tomb complex leading to the discovery of a concentration of in situ open-air rock art panels in close spatial association with the passage tombs - these finds of particular significance regarding the chronology of rock art and its relationship to passage tomb art. Recently, she has been working with Prof Eoghan on a major project cataloguing and illustrating passage tomb art, particularly that of Knowth. On a number of occasions, she has collaborated with Ken Williams, acclaimed for his marvellous photographs of Ireland’s archaeology."
Copyright: Irish Rock Art Facebook Group

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Elizabeth+Twohig+%2B+The+megalithic+art+of+western+Europe%22&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=fyCpzALnfaKoqM%253A%252CmVsoIEHt8QMAlM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQ7XcrWH5Dtj5pMo0Qao-iZK_dLFQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi5qZDovZDoAhXOYMAKHR9uATcQ9QEwBnoECAoQBQ#imgrc=XHG-n4q0XN81hM

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index