The Uffington White Horse

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Ilex Aquifolium
18 posts

Re: The Uffington White Horse
Jan 06, 2020, 18:24
PS

I understand the magnetism and sacred power of this earth is not new and it is nice to learn you don't think my experience is anything new either. Although I have been in touch with the atmospherics of ancient sites, I have never before felt anything so physical and for me, that is is unusual and new to me. Everything about that afternoon in Uffington was unusual; from the company I was with, to seeing an owl and a crow flying high in the sky - a rare sight indeed, and something I've never seen before.

I can't wait to go back.
Ilex Aquifolium
18 posts

Since I last posted, something really cool has happened this evening which puts it altogether.
Jan 06, 2020, 20:40
For many years I had the fortune to be friends with a guy called Andy. He was a cheese stealing, cider swilling, dope smoking, piano playing, Kernow dwelling, oil painter of pixies, love life wanderer and mischievous enveloper of worlds. He died a few years ago after a long old illness and at his funeral we sang three cheers in sheer spontaneity and afterwards, fell about laughing with tears happy and sad.

He has a twin brother called Dickie who I rang this evening excited about Uffington and stuff! I also rang because I couldn't remember if it was him or Andy who I had had some sort of discussion with about Julian Cope....maybe Andy had met him? I don't bloody know... anyway, I rang his brother with this vagueness and also I haven't spoken to him for a couple of months.

'Yes....yes, yeah! Uh-huh...okay..definitely...yup...mmm...ok..really? Nice!...mmm. uh-huh..right' is a approximation of Andy's brother's reaction to me blurbering on about Uffington etcetera. But most of all, in the spirit of spending more time with my chosen family this year, I wanted to suggest we go to Uffington and maybe a pub lunch afterwards, before or during.

Then Dickie told me Andy wanted his ashes scattered at Uffington! The rest of how and why, I don't need to tell you for all of it is so personal. Except to say, Andy is not scattered yet, and a kick up the bum is needed.

So here's to you serendipitous spirit. Thank you to this space because, without it, I doubt a chain of events such as this would have unfolded.

Thank you.
All the love
Holly x
Dog in fog
Dog in fog
317 posts

Re: Since I last posted, something really cool has happened this evening which puts it altogether.
Jan 07, 2020, 03:50
A beautiful thread in the tapestry!
Mrs Ahab
Mrs Ahab
1138 posts

Jan 07, 2020, 11:31
Personally I believe that its possible that specific people have specific connections to specific places. The fact that you dont usually feel sensitive in other 'sacred' places shouldn't deter you. There may be something about this place that just does it for you. It could even be a place that would help your sensitivity grow by acknowledging and further experiencing this connection to the land. If I were you I would look into the history and lore of that place and just follow your nose, go there, meditate, draw, take a nap whatever feels right for you to open up to receiving the answers you seek. Dont dismiss anything, whatever images, feelings, emotions, words or thoughts come to you will have personal significance. I think its often an unfolding process. There is an interconnectedness between all things, the land, animals, nature, life, death, our inner and outer worlds. The joy for me is to just immerse yourself in it and let it take you wherever you feel drawn, document things too, like when you saw the birds, notice if there are other corresponding synchronicities in your life, perhaps you might have a dream about these birds soon after and there will lie more information. There are many mysteries, you might find something wonderful that makes perfect sense to only you xxx
Mrs Ahab
Mrs Ahab
1138 posts

Re: Since I last posted, something really cool has happened this evening which puts it altogether.
Jan 07, 2020, 11:32
beautiful x
Mrs Ahab
Mrs Ahab
1138 posts

Jan 07, 2020, 11:35
Thank you, I know I need to be more active. It bothers me that the spiritual aspect seems so uncool here, I think there are many who feel the 'fluence' of these places, as my old dad calls it!
Dog in fog
Dog in fog
317 posts

Edited Jan 08, 2020, 08:06
Jan 07, 2020, 15:10
Edit. Bit too revealing.

But lovely thread!
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Jan 07, 2020, 17:28
Definitely not uncool here, more please!

I think the problem here in the past has been more to do with opinion-as-fact call outs, not with people relating personal experience of visiting sites. It's only when it goes from "I felt elated/threatened/dizzy" to "... and this proves that lizard people exist/energy lines converge on the Great Pyramid" that people here tend to get twitchy.

One of the great joys of this site is the folklore posts and it would be really sad if we could only enjoy reading accounts of strangeness that are 100 years' old but not new ones.

Personally I'm crap at writing about what I feel at sites, but I always enjoy reading of others' experiences like Holly's.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jan 08, 2020, 05:39
Dear Holly, I am so glad that this thread got the attention it deserved. We all love the stones, the mystery of them as the landscape enfolds around them, the ghosts they capture in the mind.
Uffington White Horse has had stories and poems written about it, and I would like to add just another part.
Wysefool, the chap I mentioned with the mad look, I met him once at a ceremonial scattering of ashes at Wayland's Smithy of one of the contributors to TMA. He was very gentle and shy, and has since died but he cared for Wayland's Smithy and kept it clear of rubbish. An unsung hero. X
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jan 08, 2020, 20:20
Jan 08, 2020, 17:16
moss wrote:

Wysefool, the chap I mentioned with the mad look, I met him once at a ceremonial scattering of ashes at Wayland's Smithy of one of the contributors to TMA. He was very gentle and shy, and has since died but he cared for Wayland's Smithy and kept it clear of rubbish. An unsung hero. X

Its good to be reminded of the close association of Wysefool and Treaclechops with Wayland's Smithy and Uffington. Wayland's Smithy is definitely somewhere with an 'atmosphere'. Holly speaks very movingly about her friend remembering all that was alive and quirky about him and that his friends and family may now scatter his ashes up around Uffington. I wonder how many people want to have their ashes scattered up at Uffington White Horse? Or perhaps at another prehistoric site.

I digress - back to Wysefool. I had forgotten he posted this link about Dragon Hill which Holly might find interesting
http://www.berkshirehistory.com/archaeology/dragon_hill.html
it includes this information.
In a 10th century charter, the hill is given its original name of Eccles Beorh, that is 'Church Barrow'. This may suggest that a Christian religious building once stood on the summit.
There was a geophysical survey conducted in 1990 to identify the early medieval chapel that once stood on dragon hill.

I don't know what the outcome of the geophysical survey was.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index