The Uffington White Horse

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Ilex Aquifolium
18 posts

The Uffington White Horse
Jan 02, 2020, 14:49
Hi

I posted this query a little while ago on the Unsung forum by mistake. I'm still thinking about a strange experience I had there on the 7th December.

I walked from Dragon Hill onto the little road which runs underneath the horse. Right at the base of the horse's tail or thereabouts, I experienced a weird energy. My legs went heavy and it felt as if I was wading through treacle for about a 100 yards although the road was relatively flat and then everything felt normal again. There was also a strange smell, which I can't describe, but wasn't unpleasant. It was totally unexpected and unlike nothing I've experienced before. I've found all kinds of places atmospheric before, but nothing so physical. If you have two magnets and try to push together their opposite sides.... it felt a little bit like that. WTF was it?

Now, I am not a follower of any religion of any description, I worship nothing or no-one. I'm not really into crystals or magick or astrology or tarot (except in my younger years) or whatever but respect those who do. I love the standing stones, I love learning about my ancestors, I love food, books and music. I'm not lonely, I work hard and I'm kind.

But what was it? First off, I thought 'Julian Cope might know' and then I found this place so thought I'd ask. Nothing to lose. I'm also very interested in learning about the history of the Uffington White Horse.

Best wishes
Holly x
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: The Uffington White Horse
Jan 03, 2020, 07:31
Hi Holly, Well such a figure as the Uffington White Horse creates many myths and stories and I cannot comment on your experience along that lane. But if you want to read up about it, try this link below, scroll to the bottom for legends etc from Wysefool and Rhiannon and find the magic....

https://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/303/uffington_white_horse.html
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jan 03, 2020, 16:03
Hello,
I'm glad Moss answered your post as it deserves an answer. Generally I think people are nervous of coming to this forum to share 'other-worldly' experiences at ancient sites in case they get derided - so thank you.

Uffington White Horse/Castle is one of my favourite places and luckily I live not too far away. In the past I have been up there in the depths of despair (usually self-inflicted) and have come away feeling renewed and energised with the problem I took up there no longer all-consuming. This feels quite different to what you experienced but then you were talking about the approach to Dragon Hill. What I have experienced around there, especially after coming down from the always breezy hill, is a stillness - which maybe because geographically it is very sheltered just there.

Earlier this year, I discovered the site of Cairn Holy (almost by accident) just across the Scottish border. I had what I can only describe as an almost mystical experience there. The evening sunlight seemed golden, the nearby spring sparkled - it seemed to me the ancient gods were present. All this was my perception - not just of the site but elements around me too. On another day it may have seemed quite different, in fact the next day was overcast and dull. We found a stone circle near to where we stayed before taking our ferry - unfortunately the 'magic' of the previous evening had gone and everything seemed a bit flat.

Kindest regards
tjj
GLADMAN
950 posts

Jan 03, 2020, 22:49
Hi Holly

You know, don't ever think there's anything strange about feeling stuff like that. We live on what - as far as we know - is the only planet capable of bearing organisms that can consider these things within light-years. So we are pretty weird, to begin with, are we not? Or to put it another way, 'special'. If you use the senses you have.

I'm happy to say I have a bit of an emotional release on a regular basis when seeing the places I see - having my senses overwhelmed does that to me. Why else would I bother putting in so much effort otherwise? I happen to think this is not coincidence... that the people who erected these place knew where to put them to have maximum effect on the human psyche... sometimes it was obvious, as in Uffington; sometimes not.

In other words I don't believe in the supernatural. Just that we have evolved with the Earth and can respond to it.
Mrs Ahab
Mrs Ahab
1138 posts

Jan 05, 2020, 01:41
I almost feel awkward that I assumed this person was taking the P. Its true I think any folks feel weird expressing similar thoughts here, which is really daft cos this is Cope Right?

annoyed that I feel unsure if this is a genuine effort of not, but I guess we can make it one. To feel the magnetism and sacred power if the land is nothing new.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jan 05, 2020, 14:46
Mrs Ahab wrote:
I almost feel awkward that I assumed this person was taking the P. Its true I think any folks feel weird expressing similar thoughts here, which is really daft cos this is Cope Right?

annoyed that I feel unsure if this is a genuine effort of not, but I guess we can make it one. To feel the magnetism and sacred power if the land is nothing new.

Hello Mrs Ahab, haven't seen you around these parts in quite a while. I hope Holly comes back and chats to people like yourself. I was puzzled at the name Ilex Aquifolium so looked it up - it means common holly. Impressed!
Ilex Aquifolium
18 posts

Jan 06, 2020, 17:31
Hey, thank you Moss. Really kind of you to take the time to reply. I'm looking forward to discovering more about the Horse/Dragon in time to come.
Ilex Aquifolium
18 posts

Jan 06, 2020, 17:44
Hi tjj, again, thanks to you also for replying to my message.
I have spent a great deal of my life so far adventuring in our beautiful countryside and love our mountains and the rivers and the lakes and the waterfalls. I've wandered around ancient sites and felt spine tingly wonderment towards our ancestors along with the simple happiness being outside in the fresh air gives me.
But, yes, as said, I've never felt anything quite so physical before as this heaviness around me as I was walking up the lane, the air was different, and yes, the stillness! Like cool crystal clear water. So very beautiful.

I've spoken to lots of my friends about my experience since and they don't deride me, but I feel like I need to know more. I remember watching Julian Cope do something about Avebury many moons ago. By the way, I haven't yet explored much of his music, but I'm glad the memory of that programme brought me here.

Thank you for being so welcoming. It really means a lot. I look forward to learning more and sharing my experiences with you all along the way.

Happy new year
Holly x
Ilex Aquifolium
18 posts

Jan 06, 2020, 17:49
Hi Mrs Ahab,

I promise you I am genuine in my pursuit of learning and feel glad I've discovered this place. I have to confess, I know very little about Julian Cope, just little things along the years, some music, some writing but I knew about his connection to the stones from an old programme I watched years ago. Tenuous, I know, but it stayed with me.

I look forward to finding out more and am happy to make your acquaintance.

Best wishes
Holly x
Ilex Aquifolium
18 posts

Jan 06, 2020, 18:04
I agree. Thank you for replying to me and doing so with such clarity.
I've come to thinking in the last few days that perhaps I don't need an explanation. Perhaps, instead of searching for reason and logic, I should just accept the experience as it was and continue to feel inspired by it. I play the piano and wrote a rambling and rolling piece without words when I came home. Perhaps I should do a poem... squeeze the juice out of it!
I'm not immune to the sensations of places, I am a super feels type of person but I was...still am, quite frankly, astonished by the physicality of the experience of that little bit of lane under the horse.
It has made me want to get out and about much more this year and go exploring.
It all feels exciting.
Best wishes
Holly x
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index