Going to Callanish for my 50th

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Re: Going to Callanish for my 50th
Sep 01, 2019, 22:01
If my bronchitis eases I'm hoping to get up there mid Sept...there's a similarily named Dun Baravat nearby too that also looks interesting.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Sep 01, 2019, 23:02
Sep 01, 2019, 22:40
I agree with all the other posts - especially about Bostadh. Walked there from the house we stayed in on Great Bernara on the one day it was warm (May). On the way back we saw a golden eagle sitting on a ridge watching us before taking flight. The first and only time I've seen one - a precious memory (many other amazing birds too).

If you are going by ferry from Ullapool I would suggest you take a travel sickness pill before boarding the ferry. Speaking from my own experience the scrambled egg and smoked salmon breakfast in the B&B was not a good idea. The Minch was choppy that day and both myself and travelling companion were very sea-sick.

Happy 50th when it comes around.
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Edited Sep 02, 2019, 09:33
Sep 02, 2019, 09:19
The fish and chips on the ferry is pretty good though, and there's always the chance of whale and dolphin watching from the top deck if the wind's light enough, maybe a late season basking shark...the ferry from Mallaig round the Small Islands is good for that too. Ferry top decks are by far the cheapest way to go cetacean spotting, and visibility is the best, so treat yourself, take some binos and make a day of it as a foot passenger on that Mallaig one (>Rhum>Canna) if you can. Have a magical 50th.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Sep 02, 2019, 12:23
Bostadh is one of my favourite places on the planet.

I've not seen MUCH of the rest of the planet, but that's beside the point. ;)

G x
girlinwellies
134 posts

Sep 02, 2019, 14:16
ironstone wrote:
Get there early in the morning (and I mean early, before the visitor centre's even open) to avoid the crowds, particularly if the sun's up when the low light is fantastic. Also yes, don't miss Ceann Hulavig and I would also go over to Bernera Bridge, a nice (short) drive and an appealing setting.

Will do. I'm booking in some ?
girlinwellies
134 posts

Sep 02, 2019, 14:19
Sounds amazing. Yes I'll pop and get some travel sickness tablets. I'm not that good on rolling seas.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Sep 03, 2019, 15:19
spencer wrote:
Had a look on the Portal...Dun Barabhat looks good...access at low tide. My sort of place. Not on TMA - yet.

Yet..................
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Sep 03, 2019, 15:21
girlinwellies wrote:
Never been up there before. Any advice? Anything else I need to do when I'm up there?

If you get the chance head south to Harris and explore the coast from Luskentyre down to Rodel. Happy birthday when it comes round :-)
girlinwellies
134 posts

Sep 03, 2019, 23:27
Thanks. Hopefully we will explore round there too!
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Sep 04, 2019, 20:44
You have my sympathy, June. I puked horribly on the way back. And I too had foolishly eaten. I should have known better as I have a track record with ferries.

I've thought of a couple more places for the Girlinwellies:
Dun Carloway - that's intact enough that you can imagine people living in it.

And the Gearrannan Blackhouses - I thought that was going to be a bit cheesy. But seeing the chap weaving tweed on an amazing old loom that stank of oil, and asking him all about it - it was superb. Also there are some videos of people cutting and stacking peat - the piles are everywhere you go and it brought a bit of that hard way of living to life.

Plus I also liked the museum in the castle at Stornoway (good if it rains) - some of the lewis chessmen are there, and there's also a room that immerses you in a film projected all round with sounds of the island, I liked that a lot. And fossils.

I could go on.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index