The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Anthony Gormley: How Art Began

Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Amil04
447 posts

Re: Anthony Gormley: How Art Began
Jan 29, 2019, 20:24
Indeed it is..without sounding too pretentious the art works are like portals into the mind of someone that lived thousands of years ago. We have that same mind. It’s like finding out that a piece of technology built tens of thousands of years ago...still takes modern day batteries. (excuse my analogy)
I’ve been reminded I’ve got Werner Herzog’s ‘Cave of Forgotten Dreams’ somewhere. Well worth another watch. Available on utube. Albeit in 360p or another with dodgy sound, apparently.
Amil04
447 posts

Edited Jan 29, 2019, 20:56
Jan 29, 2019, 20:50
By strange coincidence Robert Bednarik is on with Alice Roberts (Incredibale Human Journey) just now! (One of the few to openly question the evidence for Palaeolithic art in Britain) Never seen him on the box before..cool.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jan 30, 2019, 18:10
Jan 30, 2019, 15:03
Amil04 wrote:
By strange coincidence Robert Bednarik is on with Alice Roberts (Incredibale Human Journey) just now! (One of the few to openly question the evidence for Palaeolithic art in Britain) Never seen him on the box before..cool.

Thanks for your posts and the points you make about dating disputes - inevitable I suppose, though off putting to the interested lay person. I do admit to sometimes thinking 'how can they possibly know that with so much certainty'. Gormley makes the observation, I think in Niaux Caves, about humankind reaching a stage where it now tries to control and dominate its surroundings, when narcissistic behaviour comes into play. Never has narcissism been more evident than it is today.

I hadn't heard of Robert Bednarik until I read your post - there is a bit about him on Wikipedia where it says he describes himself as an autodidact (had to look that up).
Amil04
447 posts

Edited Feb 01, 2019, 09:13
Jan 31, 2019, 13:53
Haha..I had to look it up too. But then the word ‘autodidact’ was handily highlighted on wiki. I think I might be one of those? Ah..isn’t life just a breeze today. Do you think if those people who began working stone and bone etc, changing their environment..to suit ‘them’ saw what it was all going to come to would have thought twice? No. Doubt it. I suppose the major changes in lifestyle came a little later but it’s like the seeds were set way before. Interesting chap R. Bednarik. I’ve heard he often follows other cave art researchers around checking their data/claims. Annoying for some no doubt! The researchers wouldn’t let him in to the caves here. ? Although it was pointed out that he could have just gone on one of the public tours, if they were actually running them then that is? Not sure. He once used a photo of mine without permission or credit. I am actually quite flattered though...
That’s very true. If there isn’t a clear narrative being put forward people with a ‘vague/passing’ interest may loose attention.
texlahoma
texlahoma
891 posts

Feb 06, 2019, 12:09
I enjoyed this a lot.
A very watchable and beautifully filmed piece.
More of this kind of thing would be very welcome, with a seies of views and perspectives.
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index