tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Egypt...Heads-Up for tonight
Jan 05, 2016, 21:02
Sanctuary wrote:
tiompan wrote:
tjj wrote:
tiompan wrote:
I would love to hear Joann Fletcher interviwed by Philomena Cunk .

I couldn't stop laughing at times . One hilarious quote “10,000 year ago , gravity tilted the entire earth off it’s axis by about half a degree “ was pure Philomena .

I've just watched the programme on iplayer as hadn't come across Joann Fletcher before ... not sure why you found it hilarious Tiompan - was it because she has a Yorkshire accent and does sound a bit like Philomena Cunk or because what she is saying is actually funny in its (mis?)interpretation. I know relatively little about the origins of Egypt i.e. 19,000 years ago so took it at face value. The rock carvings are fascinating and illustrate the deserts were once fertile plains. As was the miniature stone calendar apparently charting the heavens and onset of rains.
Is the above statement about the Earth's axis not accurate then?

Nothing wrong with a good Barnsley (ish) accent June .

Yes , the comment about axial tilt was pure Philomena because it was so wrong . Possibly a mistake on behalf of researchers ,in which case Joanna should have checked but if it were her own , oh dear .
Anorak alert :There was no sudden change or half degree change in axial tilit /obliquity 10,000 years ago. It is not quite a uniform rate of change but it is very slow i.e. the last half degree change took over 4,500 years ,and the complete cycle takes 41,000 years to complete 2.5 degrees . Although we don’t know the exact cause for the tilt it is wasn’t gravity , more likely something far more powerful like a collision . The confusion is probably due to mixing up axial precession , which is caused by gravity , and axial tilt ,two entirely different things . Axial tilt /obliquity reached it max about 9500 years ago that may have added to the confusion too .

The chat at the reconstruction of Nabta Playa was also worthy of Philomena ,for different reasons .

Came across this....the 4th para mentions the 10,000 years scenario. Not my thing at all just pointing it out. Is there a connection?
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/us/news/articles/the-science-behind-the-seasons-the-autumnal-equinox/57522/

The fourth para refers to axial precession which is caused by gravity ,as mentioned above , and is quite different from axial tilt which was shown in a supporting graphic in the prog going from 24.1 to 23.5 degrees .There was no change of "about half a degree " in the axial tilt 10,000 years ago , the two axials , precession and tilt have been conflated and confused . The tilt has actually gone in the other direction ,10,000 years ago it was just over 24.1 today it has slowly shifted to just over 23.4 which is the amount that the Earth is tilted from it's orbital axis which makes the comment “10,000 year ago , gravity tilted the entire earth off it’s axis by about half a degree “ even funnier .
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index