Egypt...Heads-Up for tonight

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Egypt...Heads-Up for tonight
Jan 04, 2016, 17:19
This looks like it could be worth watching.

Immortal Egypt with Joann Fletcher - 9.00pm BBC2

The Road to the Pyramids
Series 1 - Episode 1 of 4
New series. Archaeologist and historian Joann Fletcher explores the story of Ancient Egypt and begins with a search of the building blocks that made the civilisation so enduring. She discovers how its people changed from primitive farmers to pyramid builders in just a few centuries, and finds early evidence for Egypt's gods and its obsession with death and the afterlife. She also reveals how the first writing was used to calculate taxes and examines Egypt's first pyramid - one of the world's earliest stone structures
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Jan 04, 2016, 23:36
Re: Egypt...Heads-Up for tonight
Jan 04, 2016, 23:25
Having an interest in Egyptology and having visited many sites there, kinda populous. A very King or Queen - like society. They hate the French..still though.

Some kind of Republic. not sure?
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jan 05, 2016, 00:24
I would love to hear Joann Fletcher interviwed by Philomena Cunk .

I couldn't stop laughing at times . One hilarious quote “10,000 year ago , gravity tilted the entire earth off it’s axis by about half a degree “ was pure Philomena .
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Jan 05, 2016, 12:16
Jan 05, 2016, 12:13
The Valley of the Kings is an amazing place, as is Karnak more so. I can't help thinking that Egypt is more of a fools paradise, to be honest. Having said that, the pyramids are amazing, and still quite a mystery.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Edited Jan 05, 2016, 12:37
Jan 05, 2016, 12:35
Markoid wrote:
The Valley of the Kings is an amazing place, as is Karnak more so. I can't help thinking that Egypt is more of a fools paradise, to be honest. Having said that, the pyramids are amazing, and still quite a mystery.

I loved every moment of my time in Egypt whether it be the VOTK, Karnak, or the pyramids, but my highlight without a doubt was Abu Symbel which is out of this world in the sense of what they did their on first build and again when moved to higher ground!

It is truly a work of wonder!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Simbel_temples
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Jan 05, 2016, 13:49
Jan 05, 2016, 13:44
Sanctuary wrote:
Markoid wrote:

I loved every moment of my time in Egypt whether it be the VOTK, Karnak, or the pyramids, but my highlight without a doubt was Abu Symbel which is out of this world in the sense of what they did their on first build and again when moved to higher ground!

I don't think one can prepare thyn self how wonderful the pyramids are. We went to the southern ruins, Sakkarah too, underground stuff. An amazing place.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sakkarah&biw=1600&bih=767&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwj2r-Gr5pLKAhWJuRQKHbsDC4MQ7AkIKQ
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jan 05, 2016, 15:17
Jan 05, 2016, 14:58
tiompan wrote:

I couldn't stop laughing at times . One hilarious quote “10,000 year ago , gravity tilted the entire earth off it’s axis by about half a degree “ was pure Philomena .

I've just watched the programme on iplayer as hadn't come across Joann Fletcher before ... not sure why you found it hilarious Tiompan - was it because she has a Yorkshire accent and does sound a bit like Philomena Cunk or because what she is saying is actually funny in its (mis?)interpretation. I know relatively little about the origins of Egypt i.e. 19,000 years ago so took it at face value. The rock carvings are fascinating and illustrate the deserts were once fertile plains. As was the miniature stone calendar apparently charting the heavens and onset of rains.
Is the above statement about the Earth's axis not accurate then?

A lot to take in given the great span of time the programme covers - available on iplayer so may watch it again when I get time.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Edited Jan 05, 2016, 17:32
Jan 05, 2016, 17:30
tjj wrote:
tiompan wrote:

I've just watched the programme on iplayer as hadn't come across Joann Fletcher before ... not sure why you found it hilarious Tiompan - was it because she has a Yorkshire accent and does sound a bit like Philomena Cunk or because what she is saying is actually funny in its (mis?)interpretation. I know relatively little about the origins of Egypt i.e. 19,000 years ago so took it at face value. The rock carvings are fascinating and illustrate the deserts were once fertile plains. As was the miniature stone calendar apparently charting the heavens and onset of rains.

Nothing wrong with a good Barnsley (ish) accent June .

Yes , the comment about axial tilt was pure Philomena because it was so wrong . Possibly a mistake on behalf of researchers ,in which case Joanna should have checked but if it were her own , oh dear .
Anorak alert :There was no sudden change or half degree change in axial tilit /obliquity 10,000 years ago. It is not quite a uniform rate of change but it is very slow i.e. the last half degree change took over 4,500 years ,and the complete cycle takes 41,000 years to complete 2.5 degrees . Although we don’t know the exact cause for the tilt it is wasn’t gravity , more likely something far more powerful like a collision . The confusion is probably due to mixing up axial precession , which is caused by gravity , and axial tilt ,two entirely different things . Axial tilt /obliquity reached it max about 9500 years ago that may have added to the confusion too .

The chat at the reconstruction of Nabta Playa was also worthy of Philomena ,for different reasons .
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jan 05, 2016, 17:30
Markoid wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Markoid wrote:

I don't think one can prepare thyn self how wonderful the pyramids are. We went to the southern ruins, Sakkarah too, underground stuff. An amazing place.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sakkarah&biw=1600&bih=767&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwj2r-Gr5pLKAhWJuRQKHbsDC4MQ7AkIKQ

Yes the stepped pyramid was wonderful to see as was the underground stuff I agree.
To be honest when I first saw the pyramids at Giza in the flesh so to speak, I thought, oh yes, there they are, but that was it! I'd seen them so many times on TV/films/photos etc that they were like old friends. It was only when we entered and I saw the massive stones that surrounded the internal sections of the chamber I was in awe. There was one about 30ft long and 3ft deep that spanned from one corner to another but the ends returned at 90 degrees and joined on to the next side stone. To make that stone they had to remove 12" of stone off the face of it to form the two returns and leave it as smooth as a babies bum!
I thought the Sphinx was fantastic, in fact there is so much that I was in awe of the builders from start to finish! Lots of tales to tell but that's for another time.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jan 05, 2016, 19:45
tiompan wrote:
tjj wrote:
tiompan wrote:

Nothing wrong with a good Barnsley (ish) accent June .

Yes , the comment about axial tilt was pure Philomena because it was so wrong . Possibly a mistake on behalf of researchers ,in which case Joanna should have checked but if it were her own , oh dear .
Anorak alert :There was no sudden change or half degree change in axial tilit /obliquity 10,000 years ago. It is not quite a uniform rate of change but it is very slow i.e. the last half degree change took over 4,500 years ,and the complete cycle takes 41,000 years to complete 2.5 degrees . Although we don’t know the exact cause for the tilt it is wasn’t gravity , more likely something far more powerful like a collision . The confusion is probably due to mixing up axial precession , which is caused by gravity , and axial tilt ,two entirely different things . Axial tilt /obliquity reached it max about 9500 years ago that may have added to the confusion too .

The chat at the reconstruction of Nabta Playa was also worthy of Philomena ,for different reasons .

Ah, thanks. Have learnt something today, quite specific. I guess if you are a professor of Archaeology you should know the difference between axial precession and axial tilt (I certainly didn't). I wonder how many people watching did.

PS: Very much enjoyed Philomena's interview about feminine-ism on Charlie Brooker's 2015 Wipe a few days back.
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index