Foxhill Farm, nr Liddington.

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Eternal
924 posts

Re: Foxhill Farm, nr Liddington.
Mar 21, 2014, 22:42
Rhiannon wrote:
.........You're right that it's best not to close your mind completely and become a professional cynic.

I was just looking at the Long Man of Wilmington, they think that's 1600ish. But there's lots of documentary evidence about it. Which there isn't about these alleged figures...........

.....They've not got the same simple symbolic impact of a single figure. I'd say that was another nail in the coffin of their credibility.

Hi Rhiannon,

I, like June, enjoy your posts very much. There's humour, sarcasm and a bit of good-natured spite thrown in for good measure. Most of all, you speak your mind, and, to me, make sense most of the time. However, don't open your mind too much, or you might fall in! Quite by coincidence, I'm listening to some tunes by Public Image Ltd. and admire John Lydon (Rotten) for the same characteristics. I hope you don't mind me saying that, but it's a big compliment in my book. I'm not referring to the above quotes; for those see below.

As for the points you make, I think that the figures mentioned throughout everyone's posts on this subject may or may not be prehistoric. Possibly they are reworks of prehistoric figures, modified way beyond the originals by "modern" people, and therefore don't resemble anything we could attach to prehistory. I think you're right in saying that there are no neolithic hill figures, so why should this be one. It's an interesting subject.

The Cerne Abbas Giant is a bit of an enigma to me. So many prehistoric sites have been modified/taken over/obliterated by Christians down the centuries. It's hard to see why more modern people, which I would assume to be Christians, would depict a man with a raging hard-on so close to an abbey

As for the original "figure" in question (I'll call him spaceboy), well, it does look a tad contrived, and it can be disproved by investigation. Small town local newspapers always jump on any tiny morsel of "news" they can find, and rightly get the label "local rag", where a cat stuck up a tree or a chip pan fire makes front page news. Some of the "facts" are ridiculous. This so-called figure is obviously in the papers in order to sell copies. They don't actually have to believe in their stories, and most aren't even checked for authenticity. I think one of the easiest jobs in the world is a reporter for a local rag.

All the best,
TE.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Edited Mar 21, 2014, 23:30
Mar 21, 2014, 23:20
Oh you flatterer, TE, I've always had Mr Lydon on my list of imaginary dinner party guests, ever since I saw him answering questions on C4's 'star test' a million years ago. Though I've not been overly impressed by his butter advert recently. And Mr Rh thinks he's a total git, he's probably right. But I reckon he's as sharp as a knife and as you say, he says what he means, and I do like that.

Cerne Abbas is an enigma isn't it. It does make you wonder why local people were prepared to tolerate it, and especially the abbey. Imagine the internet outrage if some contemporary artist put up such a thing now. And no-one really knows anything about it, who made it, what it means, who it's supposed to be. Great stuff.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Mar 21, 2014, 23:21
How diplomatically put, June. If I could be arsed I should get over to Swindon and listen to what the man's got to say.
The Eternal
924 posts

Mar 21, 2014, 23:43
Rhiannon,

Mr. RH needs to watch the Question Time programme on which John Lydon appeared as a panellist. He just told it as he saw it, much to the annoyance of the others, yet he got so much applause from the audience. So much so that a certain work colleague of mine, who is a life Tory-voter and a Mason to boot, was purple with rage for the following two weeks having witnessed it. Me, well, I admired John's performance, conducted in his own inimitable style

My wife quite likes him since he's been on telly revealing his personality a bit more. He's the reason I watched "I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here", and one of the reasons she now likes him. The butter advert is a bit of irony methinks. John knows exactly what he's doing. God love him,

All the best,
TE.
The Eternal
924 posts

Mar 21, 2014, 23:55
Rhiannon,

Sorry, forgot to say, ther was no flattery intended, as I see flattery as a means to an end, and I'm not trying to gain anything. I genuinely think what I said of you. I hold some others on TMA in the same esteem, but I won't mention them, as it could be construed as creeping. They'll have to guess. Don't want to be smarmy, me. I could just mention Treaclechops (RIP), as her posts were sensational. If you haven't read them all please do, as she was a wordsmith, and every story of hers was a joy to read.

TE.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Mar 21, 2014, 23:55
purple with rage for two weeks eh :) - I will have to seek it out. You've got me looking on you tube now. At the risk of subverting this thread completely (which perhaps is how it should be), I did like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfWMnQcJ9Yc
I know I'm getting old because I start thinking one of my mother's phrases ie 'Isn't he young?!'. All very interesting. (though I really have to get some shut-eye)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Re: Star Test
Mar 21, 2014, 23:59
Rhiannon wrote:
Oh you flatterer, TE, I've always had Mr Lydon on my list of imaginary dinner party guests, ever since I saw him answering questions on C4's 'star test' a million years ago.

Star Test. Yay.

Seeing Julian on that, all cheekbones and effortless cool, was the clincher that convinced me he was someone who's records I desperately needed to buy all of. Don't remember Mr Lydon being on it, must see if You Tube can help correct that omission.
Morgs
3 posts

Feb 11, 2016, 22:17
Hello,

Does anyone have the exact location or grid reference of these possible hill figures so I can take a look for myself.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Feb 12, 2016, 08:29
"Oh and if you're interested I've got a great second hand car you might like".

Have you still got it Rhiannon? I'm VERY interested.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Feb 12, 2016, 08:30
"it was a message to the space aliens to land near Swindon."

They already have, and they've interbred.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index