Re: Trethevy Quoit in danger
Mar 08, 2013, 20:14
bladup wrote:
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
tiompan wrote:

I know what you are saying . Most side stones don't form an ideal sealed box . .

They certainly don't if they aren't in the correct place! (tic)

Ahem...note the trimming :-)

Only the "in correct place " from a particualr 21st C view , not the original builders view . They avoided that box , to the extent the box not only had clear intentional gaps , sometimes it didn't even have any sides .

Do you think Mulfra was open one side or like Chun?

If it was just the backstone that collapsed 18th C? and nothing else was removed then it looks like there would have been plenty room .

Because of Zennors drawing i looked at mulfra in that way, everyone thinks it was a sealed box just like chun when it could in princible be a mix between chun and Zennor, and the collapsed stone maybe wasn't sealing a box but further away like other places, it all works on site.

That's what I imagine . I have never heard anyone suggest it had the type of "box " Chun has .
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Mar 08, 2013, 20:19
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
Not the top 2 and like we said before Haroldstown is the most Zennor like in lots of ways, look at the old drawing of Zennor and it would be under the capstone and on top of the sidestones sealing the chamber, the sidestones have been worked to hold one, did you visit Zennor and Trethevy when you used to come down here?

I must have misunderstood .

Are you saying that something would have filled the gap at Zennor ?

I wouldn't necessarily remember but I'm pretty sure I din't visit either .

The top of the chamber sidestones are shaped to hold a stone, this would have been a capstone to the big chamber but below the big massive capstone, it would fit fine, the little chamber would also be sealed like this and if the whole thing was corbelled it would make another chamber on top of the other two, i'm not saying it was like this but is all works fine and all thats missing are the 2 smallest capstones and the little stones from the corbelling [they'd have gone for the wall running right by the site].
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Mar 08, 2013, 20:28
I've read a few times it would have been a twin of chun, it just doesn't work that well on site, because i'd read this a few times i just thought that's how it was, it was only when i was there and compared it to the old picture of Zennor and that design fitted better than the Box i'd read about, it's great that you'd have seen it like that anyway, and it's great how they're all slightly different, even the ones right near each other, just like the people who built them i suppose.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Mar 08, 2013, 20:32
bladup
The top of the chamber sidestones are shaped to hold a stone, this would have been a capstone to the big chamber but below the big massive capstone, it would fit fine, the little chamber would also be sealed like this and if the whole thing was corbelled it would make another chamber on top of the other two, i'm not saying it was like this but is all works fine and all thats missing are the 2 smallest capstones and the little stones from the corbelling [they'd have gone for the wall running right by the sit wrote:

I think this what Paul is referring to George, a 'keying point' on the top edge of the angled side flanker
https://picasaweb.google.com/100525707086862773355/ZennorKey?authkey=Gv1sRgCLez7efL1YahOw#5853072210295678914
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Edited Mar 08, 2013, 20:39
Mar 08, 2013, 20:38
That's one of them Roy thanks, wait til you see the otherside and how the stone would have been held in place, it's genus, and it's the same for the little chamber, therefore doubling the chances of it all being meant, and they'd certainly be the first of the bigger stones to go before the blasting started, it's great when you see it all in the flesh.
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Mar 08, 2013, 20:39
Do none of you use Photoshop or GIMP ? i guess it would be pretty simple to rearrange all the stones into the way you think it should look.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Mar 08, 2013, 20:41
The top of the chamber sidestones are shaped to hold a stone, this would have been a capstone to the big chamber but below the big massive capstone, it would fit fine, the little chamber would also be sealed like this and if the whole thing was corbelled it would make another chamber on top of the other two, i'm not saying it was like this but is all works fine and all thats missing are the 2 smallest capstones and the little stones from the corbelling [they'd have gone for the wall running right by the site].[/quote]

I think only Sunnagh More has two chambers but can't find a pic (although there are examples of more than one portal tomb under the same cairn e..g Kilclooney More B ) , even http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/1376/knockeen.html has only has one chamber .
If dry stone walling was used , which seems likely at some sites , it is not likely to have survived once it was exposed or the cairn got robbed . My dosh goes on Zennor having a backstone that held up the capstone at near it's furthest extent leaving gaps that never were filled .
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Mar 08, 2013, 20:43
tiompan wrote:

It's the small stone between the the ante-chamber stone and the doorstone

Are you referring to the packing stone at the top of the 'buttress' George?
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Mar 08, 2013, 20:47
Sanctuary wrote:
bladup
The top of the chamber sidestones are shaped to hold a stone, this would have been a capstone to the big chamber but below the big massive capstone, it would fit fine, the little chamber would also be sealed like this and if the whole thing was corbelled it would make another chamber on top of the other two, i'm not saying it was like this but is all works fine and all thats missing are the 2 smallest capstones and the little stones from the corbelling [they'd have gone for the wall running right by the sit wrote:

I think this what Paul is referring to George, a 'keying point' on the top edge of the angled side flanker
https://picasaweb.google.com/100525707086862773355/ZennorKey?authkey=Gv1sRgCLez7efL1YahOw#5853072210295678914

In that case , can't think of any examples where a stone survives that would fill that type of role .
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Mar 08, 2013, 20:47
Sanctuary wrote:
tiompan wrote:

It's the small stone between the the ante-chamber stone and the doorstone

Are you referring to the packing stone at the top of the 'buttress' George?

Yes
Pages: 44 – [ Previous | 122 23 24 25 26 27 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index