bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Re: Trethevy Quoit in danger
Mar 08, 2013, 19:41
tiompan wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
tiompan wrote:

I know what you are saying . Most side stones don't form an ideal sealed box . .

They certainly don't if they aren't in the correct place! (tic)

Ahem...note the trimming :-)

Only the "in correct place " from a particualr 21st C view , not the original builders view . They avoided that box , to the extent the box not only had clear intentional gaps , sometimes it didn't even have any sides .

Do you think Mulfra was open one side or like Chun?
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Mar 08, 2013, 19:44
bladup wrote:

Can you think of anywhere there's a main big capstone and then another below it on top of the chamber itself? because Zennor's got the humps and bumps in just the right place to hold one in place, they're what me and george thought was there to stop the capstone slipping but it never even touched it until it's collapse, did you visit either 25 years ago george and did you like cornwall when you did visit?

Come to think of it , it was over 25 years ago . I lived in Bath for a while so not too bad for visits and still managed trips from London too . I loved it but not in the summer , too many punters .
Is this what you mean ?Secondary capstone
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/1376/knockeen.html
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/2305/kilmogue.html
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/890/haroldstown.html
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Mar 08, 2013, 19:48
bladup wrote:
We're very lucky that the sidestones at Zennor are intact and in the right place, and when you see the dynamite holes you realise just how lucky we are that the money was paid for him to stop.

Have a look at the left front facade stone Paul. It has raised corners on it.
https://picasaweb.google.com/100525707086862773355/KeyingPointsZennor?authkey=Gv1sRgCIiT8uLfgqqX6wE#5853061216509183474
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Mar 08, 2013, 19:55
Sanctuary wrote:
bladup wrote:
We're very lucky that the sidestones at Zennor are intact and in the right place, and when you see the dynamite holes you realise just how lucky we are that the money was paid for him to stop.

https://picasaweb.google.com/100525707086862773355/KeyingPointsZennor?authkey=Gv1sRgCIiT8uLfgqqX6wE#5853061216509183474

Yes i've seen and wondered, i thought it may be just aesthetics, it's certainly worked, What are they for Roy?
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Mar 08, 2013, 19:56
bladup wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
tiompan wrote:

I know what you are saying . Most side stones don't form an ideal sealed box . .

Only the "in correct place " from a particualr 21st C view , not the original builders view . They avoided that box , to the extent the box not only had clear intentional gaps , sometimes it didn't even have any sides .

If it was just the backstone that collapsed 18th C? and nothing else was removed then it looks like there would have been plenty room .
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Mar 08, 2013, 20:01
Not the top 2 and like we said before Haroldstown is the most Zennor like in lots of ways, look at the old drawing of Zennor and it would be under the capstone and on top of the sidestones sealing the chamber, the sidestones have been worked to hold one, did you visit Zennor and Trethevy when you used to come down here?
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Mar 08, 2013, 20:04
bladup wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
bladup wrote:

Yes i've seen and wondered, i thought it may be just aesthetics, it's certainly worked, What are they for Roy?

No idea Paul just pointing them out while you were discussing keying points. I've not studied Zennor to any degree yet and trying not to get preformed views until I do. In the meantime I could hook Chiefs lead over one when I want to take some pix next time...or hang my raincoat on :-)
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Mar 08, 2013, 20:07
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
tiompan wrote:

If it was just the backstone that collapsed 18th C? and nothing else was removed then it looks like there would have been plenty room .

Because of Zennors drawing i looked at mulfra in that way, everyone thinks it was a sealed box just like chun when it could in princible be a mix between chun and Zennor, and the collapsed stone maybe wasn't sealing a box but further away like other places, it all works on site.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Mar 08, 2013, 20:10
bladup wrote:
Not the top 2 and like we said before Haroldstown is the most Zennor like in lots of ways, look at the old drawing of Zennor and it would be under the capstone and on top of the sidestones sealing the chamber, the sidestones have been worked to hold one, did you visit Zennor and Trethevy when you used to come down here?

I must have misunderstood .

Are you saying that something would have filled the gap at Zennor ?

I wouldn't necessarily remember but I'm pretty sure I din't visit either .
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Mar 08, 2013, 20:11
Sanctuary wrote:
bladup wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
bladup wrote:

No idea Paul just pointing them out while you were discussing keying points. I've not studied Zennor to any degree yet and trying not to get preformed views until I do. In the meantime I could hook Chiefs lead over one when I want to take some pix next time...or hang my raincoat on :-)

Can't wait until you get back around to Zennor because i think on site we can show each other lots of new things about the place [Plus Mulfra and Bosporthennis].
Pages: 44 – [ Previous | 121 22 23 24 25 26 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index