The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
A quick sketch

Pages: 26 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Detailed pictures
Sep 14, 2012, 16:23
" they would have no understanding of a 4 th dimension of time or any dimension for that matter"

Now there you're as wrong as a completely wrong person, but its irrelevant -
what Im saying is that when we look at that panel it is many thousands of years deep whereas back then it was much younger and had a lot of the marks missing. How then can the marks in toto be said to relate to any sort of intentionality back then? It can't can it?
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Sep 14, 2012, 16:25
Rhiannon wrote:
frankly I think 100 would be more than ample, I can't imagine I'd ever find my way home again if I took 1000 :)

3000's the most i've had, and i'm one of the sanest and healthest 38 years old you could wish to meet, if you have a strong mind it's not about the amount, i can guarantee that over a 1000 it doesn't matter, eg a 1000 is the same as 3000, and if there was a pot with a 1000000 in it, a cup from it would be just the same as a cup from a pot with over a 1000 in it, once it's in your blood to the max you can't go any further, thats why people don't die from having to many liberty caps, i'd say that's nature way of making them safe for us to eat [ only if you have a strong mind though ].
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Sep 14, 2012, 16:26
tjj wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:
frankly I think 100 would be more than ample, I can't imagine I'd ever find my way home again if I took 1000 :)

Ye gods, 100!! ... Please don't think I'm being a fuddyduddy - I've been following this discussion with great interest and am impressed at the patience of the answers given. My message to Bladup is clear your mind, do some meditating if helps but do stop taking hallucinogens - I believe they have a long term effect on your mental faculties (someone's got to say it).

I bet i'm so far from what you think i'm like.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Sep 14, 2012, 16:32
bladup wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:

3000's the most i've had, and i'm one of the sanest and healthest 38 years old you could wish to meet, if you have a strong mind it's not about the amount, i can guarantee that over a 1000 it doesn't matter, eg a 1000 is the same as 3000, and if there was a pot with a 1000000 in it, a cup from it would be just the same as a cup from a pot with over a 1000 in it, once it's in your blood to the max you can't go any further, thats why people don't die from having to many liberty caps, i'd say that's nature way of making them safe for us to eat [ only if you have a strong mind though ].

Why don't you just drink copious amounts of lager like everyone else :-)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Sep 14, 2012, 16:32
"Maybe if you were nomadic, only passing a particular outcrop once every year, then you would indeed add to it (casually or in some important ritual) every year, to mark that you'd been there. Or whatever."

Thats my bet too (although these rockarty types have thought of and discussed that one at great length no doubt so nothing anyone says can come as a surprise to them.) I'd only add the "important ritual" might have been the letting into the earth of the spirit of one of their number who had passed away during their recent journey.....
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Sep 14, 2012, 16:34
Rhiannon wrote:
I think you're being too hasty. I think the carvers would have (possibly) had a more close relationship with time than us because they'd have necessarily have had to be aware of cyclical changes with the seasons - it'd have affected where they could find their food and what food they could eat. And imagine how darkness would curtail your goings-about when you couldn't flick a light switch on.

So if they were carving the symbols / shapes over an extended period of time, that might make a lot of sense, connecting one cycle to another. Maybe if you were nomadic, only passing a particular outcrop once every year, then you would indeed add to it (casually or in some important ritual) every year, to mark that you'd been there. Or whatever.

Does that not sound feasible?

There life span was so short, they would have been to busy living day to day, that's the beauty of what i'm saying, the regional maps WOULD/COULD help them day to day, if the landscapes are still natural i can still use them [the panels], this knowledge comes from within me, it's not from books, people were still moving around a little bit more in these landscapes than a lot of you seem to think, not everyone started farming, in the same way we're not all farmers now.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Edited Sep 15, 2012, 19:01
Sep 14, 2012, 16:41
Sanctuary wrote:
bladup wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:

Why don't you just drink copious amounts of lager like everyone else :-)

Oh i do!!! Everyone does know that mr Cope was a big tripper in his day [ i suggest his autobiographys as they're brilliant] and the modern antiquarian is one of the results of those experiences in his past [tripping opened his mind], ask him if he would have written that book without those experiences, i imagine the answer would be a big fat no.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Sep 14, 2012, 16:42
bladup wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:
I think you're being too hasty. I think the carvers would have (possibly) had a more close relationship with time than us because they'd have necessarily have had to be aware of cyclical changes with the seasons - it'd have affected where they could find their food and what food they could eat. And imagine how darkness would curtail your goings-about when you couldn't flick a light switch on.

So if they were carving the symbols / shapes over an extended period of time, that might make a lot of sense, connecting one cycle to another. Maybe if you were nomadic, only passing a particular outcrop once every year, then you would indeed add to it (casually or in some important ritual) every year, to mark that you'd been there. Or whatever.

Does that not sound feasible?

There life span was so short, they would have been to busy living day to day, that's the beauty of what i'm saying, the regional maps WOULD/COULD help them day to day, if the landscapes are still natural i can still use them [the panels], this knowledge comes from within me, it's not from books, people were still moving around a little bit more in these landscapes than a lot of you seem to think, not everyone started farming, in the same way we're not all farmers now.

bladup, I know ive asked before, but any chance of a photo of a panel and marked map so we can see exactly what you mean?

It'd help a great deal.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Sep 14, 2012, 16:44
"3000's the most i've had, and i'm one of the sanest and healthest 38 years old you could wish to meet"

Hahahahaha! Thats one of the finest lines in comedy history!

"i can guarantee that over a 1000 it doesn't matter, eg a 1000 is the same as 3000"

Ummm, why did you have 3,000 then?

Also, I can hardly visualise 3,000 mushrooms, let alone imagine eating them. What do you do, make them into soup? Doesnt it get a bit unpleasant after the fifth bowl?

Do you have to add lots of salt? (Salt is bad for you).

Sorry if I seem to be taking the Mick, someone eating 3000 mushrooms in one go is so out of my life experience I just have to ask questions.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Sep 14, 2012, 16:50
Sep 14, 2012, 16:45
bladup wrote:
tjj wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:

Ye gods, 100!! ... Please don't think I'm being a fuddyduddy - I've been following this discussion with great interest and am impressed at the patience of the answers given. My message to Bladup is clear your mind, do some meditating if helps but do stop taking hallucinogens - I believe they have a long term effect on your mental faculties (someone's got to say it).

I bet i'm so far from what you think i'm like.

I could probably say the same thing Bladup ... I've probably said a lot less about myself on this forum than you have. I can tell you this though, I've seen enough good, talented people ruin their lives by taking 'mind altering substances' of various forms. I'm not preaching - really I'm not, just saying there is enough magic and wonder out there to observe and appreciate without the help of anything 'extra'. I know you think so too because I've see your art work and some of your photos. You've mentioned your children a few times - will it be ok for them to follow your example too.
Pages: 26 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index