Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Edited Feb 24, 2012, 08:33
Re: forum etiquette
Feb 24, 2012, 08:15
Can I just say (tedious to my own ears as well as yours, Jonny) -

June might not use other forums, and may not know, that's fair enough, but most people that do use other forums would say that it's accepted 'netiquette' that you do not edit your post after someone else has replied to it. Or if you do, then you put a little note to say how you have (edited for terrible language and clarity). Otherwise, as you say yourself, "I didn't see the original post so i'm using Nigels interpretation." - the thread ends up making no sense and Misunderstandings occur.

I'm sure most people would agree that's pretty common. Though like NOT TYPING EVERYTHING IN CAPITAL LETTERS or swamping a forum with lots of posts about your pet subject, berating anyone that disagrees, and then pissing off, it's largely an unwritten rule innit.
VBB
558 posts

Re: Climbing on Standing Stones
Feb 24, 2012, 09:05
Resonox wrote:
Its all very confusing...it seems it is OK to complain about people climbing on stones if they are carrying beer cans but not if they are carrying a camera....It is OK to pee on stones if you are highlighting rock art but not if you are just peeing...it is OK to climb on stones to discover/verify markings but not to climb on them for climbing's sake...I't is OK to climb on stones if you respect them but disrespect other people's feelings because you are "unconventrional" but not vice versa....etc etc...I'll stick with my own non-climbing stance. which should offend no-one...and still I'll berate anyone I see climbing on them....to paraphrase a well known saying...For this practice to thrive it only takes one good person to say nothing. So come on...be good people stand up for your heart's feelings.

Bravo! Bravo!

And let's sing, sing... I'm a stone fan and I'm alright, I want respect and don't want to fight. I photograph stones, I like lichens, barrows and earthworks, I want you all to respect them too and have no time for jerks...

Perhaps it would have been better with "We can work it out" :)
tomwatts
376 posts

Feb 24, 2012, 11:17
...Not that gangs of dickheads with flagons of 7% cider will appreciate being told how to behave...
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 24, 2012, 11:36
tomwatts wrote:
...Not that gangs of dickheads with flagons of 7% cider will appreciate being told how to behave...

That's about it but what exactly does one do about it that will be effective?
nigelswift
8112 posts

Feb 24, 2012, 11:47
Sanctuary wrote:
tomwatts wrote:

There's only one way forward. Attempt to banish the confusion and mixed messages Resonox has outlined above by arriving at a Code as suggested by VBB in the other thread. And get (well actually, shame) the official guardianship bodies and the media to subscribe to it to (for it's their mixed messages and wimpishness that confuse the issue and encourage disrespect for monuments).

Then, hammer it home in all directions, with a unified message from the public and the guardians alike. No it won't stop drunks but it WILL stop a lot of incidents.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 24, 2012, 12:24
nigelswift wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
tomwatts wrote:

There's only one way forward. Attempt to banish the confusion and mixed messages Resonox has outlined above by arriving at a Code as suggested by VBB in the other thread. And get (well actually, shame) the official guardianship bodies and the media to subscribe to it to (for it's their mixed messages and wimpishness that confuse the issue and encourage disrespect for monuments).

Then, hammer it home in all directions, with a unified message from the public and the guardians alike. No it won't stop drunks but it WILL stop a lot of incidents.

And I'll erect some stocks and a whipping post adjacent to the Cove at Avebury so that the cider drinkers in the RL car park can watch their mates being 'educated' :-)
VBB
558 posts

Feb 24, 2012, 13:53
Sanctuary wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
tomwatts wrote:

And I'll erect some stocks and a whipping post adjacent to the Cove at Avebury so that the cider drinkers in the RL car park can watch their mates being 'educated' :-)

Simple alternative would be to employ Harry Hill to arbitrate all future disputes...
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 24, 2012, 15:05
VBB wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
tomwatts wrote:

Simple alternative would be to employ Harry Hill to arbitrate all future disputes...

'FIGHT'!!!!
Resonox
604 posts

Feb 24, 2012, 20:26
Sanctuary wrote:
VBB wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
tomwatts wrote:

'FIGHT'!!!!

Not much of a rumble if everyone wants to get on to old biddies taking pictures but not the louts taking a piss.....treat 'em all as the desecrators they are!
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Feb 24, 2012, 20:52
Resonox wrote:

Not much of a rumble if everyone wants to get on to old biddies taking pictures but not the louts taking a piss.....treat 'em all as the desecrators they are!

Biddies being a unisex description in this case I take it.
Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index