Climbing on Standing Stones

Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 110 11 12 13 14 15 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Feb 25, 2012, 12:59
Re: Climbing on Standing Stones
Feb 25, 2012, 13:56
I'm a big believer in notices. I know people say they can spoil the atmosphere or they're unwelcome bossyness but it's quite possible to place them on the route to the monument or in some fashion whereby they're definitely seen but not intrusive. And not only will they hopefully stop the 99% they'll also make the 1% think twice maybe, knowing that everyone watching knows they're doing wrong. I also quite like the idea of English Heritage or National Trust snipers. Imagine what a satisfying job that would be...
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 25, 2012, 14:08
nigelswift wrote:

I also quite like the idea of English Heritage or National Trust snipers. Imagine what a satisfying job that would be...

I'm filling in my application form now! :-)
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 25, 2012, 14:08
nigelswift wrote:

I also quite like the idea of English Heritage or National Trust snipers. Imagine what a satisfying job that would be...

I'm filling in my application form now! :-)
Resonox
604 posts

Feb 25, 2012, 14:36
nigelswift wrote:
It's my guess that 99% of people that climb on standing stones don't realise they shouldn't - which puts the blame squarely on the guardians. Yes there are sometimes notices saying don't but they don't say it clearly enough so that no-one can miss them.
I would say then that the 1% who DO know they are doing wrong are thoroughly reprehensible, their behaviour is inexcusable and unjustifiable despite their plethora of excuses and self-justification. I suppose (just to contrdict myself) if any excuse can be said to be just cause...I'd probably lean to the "recording of markings"....but if this was genuine...could it be arranged so that some form of unobtrusive access be arranged under licence....I don't really know how feasible puitting up scaffolding, taking pictures off of ladders...or even some kind of cherry-picker hoist would be....others more expert in this field (NPI) might have more ideas.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Feb 25, 2012, 15:50
"could it be arranged so that some form of unobtrusive access be arranged under licence."

Well of course. It happens all the time. Self-certification is cobblers.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Feb 25, 2012, 17:18
Good point, no they only have to be on the gate or in the car park or wherever. You're quite right. Ok I'll go for the notices.

but snipers are a good idea in case the notices don't work.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Feb 25, 2012, 16:32
Feb 25, 2012, 17:31
and of course hydrogen in wklb
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Feb 25, 2012, 17:54
Feb 25, 2012, 18:02
Rhiannon wrote:

At the big sites like Stonehenge and Avebury, and Silbury for that matter, it would help if the media actually were consistent with what people are seen doing. Because when people climb there, they really properly climb. It's not really the same as parking your arse on a sarsen while you eat your sandwiches. Or is it? Surely that's not so bad, it is a stone after all. Is this whole thing partly to do with wanting less oikish behaviour so Civilised Visitors can enjoy the sites in peace? Is it the climbing aspect. What are people's feelings on sitting I wonder.

I have a confession to make then .. as it was me that mentioned Devil's Den (inadvisedly as it turned out). I found a photo in my Facebook albums of me perched on one of the base stones at Devil's Den (for the shot). In general I don't think I would sit on, say for instance, the Barber's Stone at Avebury to eat lunch but yes I probably would sit on the sarsens at Fyfield Down.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Feb 25, 2012, 22:16
nigelswift wrote:
Self-certification is cobblers.

I couldn't imagine any proper expert leaping around on the stones so disrespectfully, to be honest.

Maybe this is the ultimate solution for those who can't suppress their urges: http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/14448/cork_stone.html

G x
Resonox
604 posts

Feb 26, 2012, 08:08
goffik wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Self-certification is cobblers.

I couldn't imagine any proper expert leaping around on the stones so disrespectfully, to be honest.

Maybe this is the ultimate solution for those who can't suppress their urges: http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/14448/cork_stone.html

G x

Of course self-certification doesn't work (see recent discussions on Metal-detectorists) simply because there is always someone who will "push the boundaries" and self-regulate themselves not to go any further until someone else does it, which gives carte-blanche for the upper limit to be overtaken again...then each little push, ups the ante by increments until there are no regulations in place at all...so rigid guidlines/rules have to be in place. The question we seem to have missed is why people climb on stones (or anything for that matter)...There so far seems to me, to be a good few categories mentioned on this debate so far.
1..The "just because it's there" crowd
2..The "first to do it" crowd
3...The "urge to be famous for discovering something new" crowd
4...The "pissed-up and don't give a toss" crowd
5...The "showing off in company" crowd
6...The "need to record for posterity" crowd
...strangely enough I can't find a "paying due respect" crowd to add to this list...is this perhaps why it is a hot topic?
Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 110 11 12 13 14 15 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index