Climbing on Standing Stones

Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 112 13 14 15 16 17 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
jonnyj
28 posts

Re: Climbing on Standing Stones
Feb 27, 2012, 16:02
nigelswift wrote:
[quote="jonnyj"]I think I'd back EH to have access to more genuine expertise on the subject than anyone else so....

I'd love to agree with you Nigel, but then we'd both be wrong. :)
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Feb 27, 2012, 16:35
nigelswift wrote:
I think I'd back EH to have access to more genuine expertise on the subject than anyone else so....

What - rather than some self-professed "experts"? Are you mad? :D

I suggest winching Stan Beckinsall down from a helicopter to have a look. ;)

Sounds like a good way to protect some stones from being clambered over might be to publish a photo of the top of it! Could even mount it on a noticeboard next to the stone just to keep the strangely curious satisfied, thus preserving the monument for future generations. ;)

G x
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Feb 27, 2012, 16:46
Here's a lovely picture of a walking boot in very close proximity to a cupmark:

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/47269/rubha_charnain.html
jonnyj
28 posts

Feb 27, 2012, 16:54
goffik wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
I think I'd back EH to have access to more genuine expertise on the subject than anyone else so....

What - rather than some self-professed "experts"? Are you mad? :D

I suggest winching Stan Beckinsall down from a helicopter to have a look. ;)

Sounds like a good way to protect some stones from being clambered over might be to publish a photo of the top of it! Could even mount it on a noticeboard next to the stone just to keep the strangely curious satisfied, thus preserving the monument for future generations. ;)

G x

Yes, let's leave it all to EH. !
It may have passed you by "G" but most British RA has been discovered by "amateurs" and that's ongoing.
I'm sure EH would gladly send along a representative to accompany Tiompan on each and everyone of his many RA forays, to validate anything he may find, with him only being a lowly amateur in the field. :)
jonnyj
28 posts

Feb 27, 2012, 16:59
thesweetcheat wrote:
Here's a lovely picture of a walking boot in very close proximity to a cupmark:

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/47269/rubha_charnain.html

You animal, what gives you the right to put you're clonking great heifer like feet by such a wondrous object. :)
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Feb 27, 2012, 17:06
Aw, and there was me thinking this was a fun and peaceful chat!

Apparently that's a much more modern bait holder and as such has no real place on TMA other than as a comparison. I was young and naive. If only someone had told me then of the selfishness of my actions I'd certainly have been more careful, as I have been on subsequent visits to any number of ancient sites.

G x
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Feb 27, 2012, 17:10
goffik wrote:

Apparently that's a much more modern bait holder and as such has no real place on TMA other than as a comparison. I was young and naive. If only someone had told me then of the selfishness of my actions I'd certainly have been more careful, as I have been on subsequent visits to any number of ancient sites.

G x

It is peaceful. The purpose of the link - I know it might be a bit of a cheap shot, but I am cheap :) - was to show that we've all done it.

I personally can't see any problem at all with your picture and I think it shows the dimensions of the cupmark off very nicely. So there's no harm, to the monument or to anyone else as far as Ican see. All I'm saying is, it's too easy to be holier than thou.
jonnyj
28 posts

Feb 27, 2012, 17:12
goffik wrote:

G x

You forgot the :P, you should always use the :P.
:P
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Feb 27, 2012, 17:35
thesweetcheat wrote:
All I'm saying is, it's too easy to be holier than thou.

Undoubtably! However I stand by the fact that I have since learned not to clamber around on or near stones that have rockart on them. And I'm no expert! :)

G x
jonnyj
28 posts

Feb 27, 2012, 17:39
goffik wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
All I'm saying is, it's too easy to be holier than thou.

Undoubtably! However I stand by the fact that I have since learned not to clamber around on or near stones that have rockart on them. And I'm no expert! :)

G x

Could i ask your opinion on wetting RA, to enhance it for a photograph. ? :)
Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 112 13 14 15 16 17 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index