The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Climbing on Standing Stones

Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 114 15 16 17 18 19 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Climbing on Standing Stones
Feb 28, 2012, 20:25
"the argument seems to be that EH and other professional bodies know best and no-one else (i.e amateurs) needs to get involved and indeed should stay at a safe distance away where they can do no damage to anything."

No, that's a misinterpretation.
Coming several hundred miles to a World Heritage Site, saying the local archaeologists are illiterate, and then climbing up a monument without having an advance word with the local statutory guardians strikes me as wrong, that's all. It didn't need an identikit to know it wasn't Tompian. I admire Tompian, his modesty and behaviour. He's a good example to the public.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Feb 28, 2012, 20:28
"Does anyone have any problem with Goff's picture or the way it was obtained?"

Yes of course, showing the public a picture of rock art with your boot next to it isn't a good idea, for obvious reasons, and he has said he knows better now.
jonnyj
28 posts

Feb 28, 2012, 20:33
nigelswift wrote:
I admire Tompian, his modesty and behaviour. He's a good example to the public.

I've not read the whole thread so may have missed it, but i certainly wasn't suggesting anything Tiompan does is wrong, quite the opposite actually.
I was just wondering about your view on lifting turves to reveal and photograph RA, as it is interfering with an ancient monument at the end of the day, isn't it. ?
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 28, 2012, 20:38
nigelswift wrote:
"the argument seems to be that EH and other professional bodies know best and no-one else (i.e amateurs) needs to get involved and indeed should stay at a safe distance away where they can do no damage to anything."

Coming several hundred miles to a World Heritage Site, saying the local archaeologists are illiterate, and then climbing up a monument without having an advance word with the local statutory guardians strikes me as wrong, that's all. It didn't need an identikit to know it wasn't Tompian. I admire Tompian, his modesty and behaviour. He's a good example to the public.

Agreed.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 28, 2012, 20:38
nigelswift wrote:

Agreed.
jonnyj
28 posts

Feb 28, 2012, 20:44
nigelswift wrote:

saying the local archaeologists are illiterate

Who said that. ?
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 28, 2012, 20:50
jonnyj wrote:
nigelswift wrote:

I've not read the whole thread so may have missed it, but i certainly wasn't suggesting anything Tiompan does is wrong, quite the opposite actually.
I was just wondering about your view on lifting turves to reveal and photograph RA, as it is interfering with an ancient monument at the end of the day, isn't it. ?

I think that splitting hairs jonnyj. Research of tiompan's kind done sympathetically where he is lifting turves carefully should not be considered as 'interfering' with an ancient monument even if carried out by a none-professional. If it's not done then it's not found. I'm totally against abusing monuments because of their 'sacredness' to me personally, but can't really see how standing on a fixed and secure stone wearing plimsoles or trainers to take a photograph is going to damage it as has also been expressed. I think SC is correct in saying similar words to that. It's a world apart from the core of this discussion of total abuse shown by people who don't give a damn about our heritage.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Feb 28, 2012, 20:52
At least he knows he has feet. Just imagine taking a photo like that and your feet had vanished.
jonnyj
28 posts

Feb 28, 2012, 20:56
Sanctuary wrote:
jonnyj wrote:
nigelswift wrote:

I think that splitting hairs jonnyj. Research of tiompan's kind done sympathetically where he is lifting turves carefully should not be considered as 'interfering' with an ancient monument even if carried out by a none-professional. If it's not done then it's not found. I'm totally against abusing monuments because of their 'sacredness' to me personally, but can't really see how standing on a fixed and secure stone wearing plimsoles or trainers to take a photograph is going to damage it as has also been expressed. I think SC is correct in saying similar words to that. It's a world apart from the core of this discussion of total abuse shown by people who don't give a damn about our heritage.

Where do we draw the line. ?
Lifting turves.
Standing on a cup marked stone, though not directly on the RA.
Climbing to take a photograph of a previously unphotographed cap stone.

This needs to be made clear when people comment or it's pointless.
tonyh27
22 posts

Feb 28, 2012, 20:57
Still comes down to opinion though doesn't it !..

People tutting about people that climb on stones while ignoring those that sit on them..

Walk on the banks while shaking their head at those that hug the stones..

Climb Silbury Hill? I wouldn't, if i could. I never did. Nor do I want to go inside Stonehenge

I could go on and on, but the fact is we all see it differently.

No moral high grounds here..

Only a chance to talk amongst ourselves to find a solution that others might take notice of.

A chance not to slag each other off for having differnt ideas. Not to be sarcastic because others don't see our way, or sneer at different points of view..

Time to put that aside and talk about a workable solution that very well might not suit all, or tick all the box's..

Time to stop scoring points and talk with people, not down to them, or at them..

Or just carry on the same old way..
Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 114 15 16 17 18 19 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index