Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Trethevy Quoit »
A clean slate? (or should that be granite?)

156 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Resonox
604 posts

Re: A clean slate? (or should that be granite?)
May 06, 2011, 05:43
stonefree wrote:

Please be patient Nigel. I know we've piqued the interest of quite a few of you, but this investigation into the Quoit is a huge undertaking Dave and I have committed to (with several others also involved), and this forum alone is taking a lot of time and energy just to respond to people's questions. We're perfectly willing to share our findings, but I hope you'll all soon ease off a bit. We've both been accused of arrogance so far, but it's really just that we're exuding passion, enthusiasm and a growing confidence in what we're discovering.
This is a worrying turn...one minute we are told you are willing to answer questions(and questions there are galore...even some tongue in cheek ones)...but this is the 2nd post with a dire warning....one is a reminder of The Eds' Terms & Conditions...and now being "asked" to cool down with accusations of " accusations of arrogance" being levelled at yourselves(I've missed those probably by looking more at other technical aspects of the posts)

stonefree wrote:
We don't yet know which of these effects were intended, or whether they all were, but there are far too many for serendipity or mere coincidence. What we are seeing is effectively the 'mind' in the thing - the undeniable intentionality and skills of the builders. The only thing we are uncertain of is the extent of this, but witless savages they ain't!
I've yet to read a post(on these boards..where anyone has suggested that "stone edifice" builders were witless savages(there is /was a whole topic debating the relative intelligences of ancient man and modern man...I think..don't quote me...(lol) that the upshot was they were every bit as intelligent as we are possibly with a more detailed knowledge of the cycles of the earth and skies as it was essential for survival on many levels.

stonefree wrote:
I'
ave will want to blow your mind with further information about the visibility of the corona etc.

It certainly IS quite a hole - neither Dave nor myself can remember ever having seen another one quite like it - have you? ;)[/quote]Is the hole definitely part of the original design or is it an addition to an existing construct, as offered by many posts ....this might explain other "trial markings" if someone was marking out the optimum position for the hole.
Now having said that I wonder...if the hole was designed to see the sun at a certain point on certain days of the year would it not make the rest of the construct devoid of purpose?...surely a "chimney/tower" design(given that we agree the builders didn't lack intelligence) would be more effective(sorry if this has been asked already)? I can't get my head around a unique hole for solar observations...the idea would surely have been replicated all over at best or a few times at least...eg in the hundreds of similar dolmens all over the world(Brittany has more than a fair few)..sorry if this appears rambling...just trying to fit salient points in without getting (too) sidetracked.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index