Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Trethevy Quoit »
A clean slate? (or should that be granite?)

156 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Resonox
604 posts

Re: A clean slate? (or should that be granite?)
May 03, 2011, 18:58
Horsedrawn wrote:
The short answer is yes. The rising sun lights the underside of Stone 8 (the capstone) through two apertures towards the East. One is bigger than the other, and I suspect this is due to an understanding of the Equation of Time. This subject is under study. The differences between the extremes; midwinter and midsummer, that is, how the 'daggers' of light play upon the capstone's underside, and other places, suggest strongly that the principles of the Equation of Time were understood and taken into account. I emphasise here that none of this is conclusive, but I would add that such things were understood well at the same time in Mesopotamia, so why not here?

David Kane.

Something that has always bugged me...nothing to do with the scientific applications although I daresay there is an equation to be made.....the time it would take to erect the structure...a variable no-one knows, then to get the alignment right means that it wouldn't be aligning to it's original design or purpose...(assuming we are correct in assuming it is for catching sun-rays + shadows) after this lapse of time....and of course we haven't taken into account bad weather/fog/rain etc where the sun is obscured...possibly for days. Does this indicate then that the structure would be built and the "hole" made afterwards to suit? Worth considering?
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index