Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Trethevy Quoit »
A clean slate? (or should that be granite?)

156 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stonefree
68 posts

Re: A clean slate? (or should that be granite?)
May 02, 2011, 16:09
Sanctuary wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:
The notch is nice. But it doesn't point to it at exactly midday, isn't that more what you'd expect if it was being used (being chipped out at great effort) for a deliberate marker, not at quarter to? At midday nothing particularly obvious seems to be happening. I would say 'well quarter to is near enough' but the patterns obviously change quite a bit between quarter to and noon?

just an observation.

Rhiannon,
If the Closure Stone was upright instead of being over 21" out of kilter like it is, the 'reading' would have been entirely different. I find it very difficult to believe that this most important and centralising orthostat was originally set in so much out of upright. In fact I know it wasn't because it has moved since last year! Look aound the remaining structure carefully and see how it is out of shape. Look at just the photos shown to see how the Capstone is way off centre to the main orthostat now and lurches badly to the left. I'll post a photo of the rear of the structure shortly to show you what I mean.

I'd just like to point out that there are various aspects of this particular structure which are in fierce contention at the moment Rhiannon.

My colleague Dave Kane (horsedrawn) and I are becoming more and more convinced that it has hardly moved at all since it was erected. Whilst we appreciate the efforts of Mr. Sanctuary, we have no way of knowing if his measurements with a plumb bob have been accurate. If the rear stone 2 has moved half an inch in the last year, that would either suggest it has moved nearly a foot in the last couple of decades or that it has only just started moving recently after about 6 millenia! A close inspection of the amazingly small areas on which the capstone rests shows that there are no signs of any movement. The whole thing is perfectly in equilibrium and poised as gracefully as a giant bird alighting!

The alignments and optical dynamics we have been discovering seem to indicate that the builders of this amazing structure were in possession of knowledge and capabilities far more profound than some are willing to credit them with. We hope to put that right.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index