The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Trethevy Quoit »
Who's going to be there this weekend?

Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Re: Who's going to be there this weekend?
Apr 23, 2011, 09:56
Think 'John Michell' -ish.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Apr 23, 2011, 10:03
StoneGloves wrote:

"John Frederick Carden Michell (9 February 1933 – 24 April 2009)[1][2] was an English writer whose key sources of inspiration were Plato and Charles Fort. His 1969 volume The View Over Atlantis has been described as probably the most influential book in the history of the hippy/underground movement and one that had far-reaching effects on the study of strange phenomena: it "put ley lines on the map, re-enchanted the British landscape and made Glastonbury the capital of the New Age." [3]

In some 40-odd titles over five decades he examined, often in pioneering style, such topics as sacred geometry, earth mysteries, geomancy, gematria, archaeoastronomy, metrology, euphonics, simulacra and sacred sites, as well as Fortean phenomena."

I don't think I'm going to like your theory. ;)
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Apr 23, 2011, 10:05
StoneGloves wrote:

You're not going all serious are you, we were having fun!!
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Apr 23, 2011, 13:02
I've had a look at the pictures of Trevethy Quoit, closely, and this isn't the best example to illustrate my theory with. The aperture, in the capstone, is so irregular as to make deriving a consistent measurement, for the length and breadth, very difficult. There are other holed stones which are better examples but they are not securely dated. They often get identified as some kind of gatepost.

The theory is that the 4:3 ratio of viewing a scene was invented/discovered by prehistoric people. We think of sun or moon light coming through the stone, illuminating whatever is beneath, but it must also be possible, with the correct posture and monument accoutrements, to use the aperture to watch the sky, or a segment of it, go by. Which is what we do with windows, in walls and on our desktops.
Horsedrawn
55 posts

Apr 23, 2011, 14:06
The aperture in Stone 8, the capstone, is regular. It appears to display the qualities of a superellipse, or 'squircle'. I am not convinced of this by any means, but the physics of such a figure and its consequent optical properties are the subject of study. Viewing straight up through it reveals a patch of sky in which the sun and moon never appear, the angle is too great. However, when viewed at an angle the sun is observable through the 'slot'.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Apr 23, 2011, 15:19
Horsedrawn wrote:
The aperture in Stone 8, the capstone, is regular. It appears to display the qualities of a superellipse, or 'squircle'. I am not convinced of this by any means, but the physics of such a figure and its consequent optical properties are the subject of study. Viewing straight up through it reveals a patch of sky in which the sun and moon never appear, the angle is too great. However, when viewed at an angle the sun is observable through the 'slot'.

I've got a garden shed like that! :D
Horsedrawn
55 posts

Apr 23, 2011, 15:24
Latest findings show a sense of humour among correspondents.
This is very welcome.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Apr 23, 2011, 16:19
Horsedrawn wrote:
Latest findings show a sense of humour among correspondents.
This is very welcome.

Most of us regulars have a good sense of humour, it's what keeps us going sometimes!
stonefree
68 posts

Apr 24, 2011, 10:26
Dave and I will be there today from about 3.00 until sunset.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Apr 24, 2011, 10:52
stonefree wrote:
I'm hoping to be there on Sunday afternoon with Dave Kane, perhaps on Monday as well. We're not tech savvy enough to be able to keep you all updated via mobile web devices, but we'll be spending plenty of time there!

Looking forward to meeting whoever turns up :)

Just come back from the quoit on this Easter Sunday morning. Was there at 8.30 and left at 10.30 I'm afraid as I have other family and work things to do so won't see anyone there today. Cracking morning again although a little bit chilly first thing. It was 'fine' measuring and 'detail' day today which found me at times lying on the floor with Chief licking my face whilst I was looking upwards. Not a pleasant experience (the licking) after he'd been around picking up all the rubbish he could find!
For those who have not visited the site you have plenty of time to have a really good poke around as it's rarely visited by outsiders compared to many other sites so you don't get interrupted too often. I actually much prefer my thoughts to myself when taking details as I can't abide being distracted from what I am doing.
Something I noticed was a little worrying and I'm not sure what I should do about it (your thoughts MrH?). Last year I measured the distance the front closure stone was out of the perpendicular (it leans outward to the east) and checked it again today to find it has moved a further 1/2". That doesn't sound much but it is now some 20" off the perpendicular of a 10' - 3" height from ground level and being pushed out by the capstone it would seem, although, on saying that, there is no noticeable gap appearing on the 'heel' of the north west rear side stone which is angled to the pitch of the capstone and supports it. I noticed that between it and the eastern station stone which leans into it but is totally free standing, someone has lodged a granite boulder, presumably to offer it some support!
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index